Video of Better.com CEO Laying Off 15% of Workforce

akula1488 said:
Considering they are internet based operating on razor thin margin, the word of mouth or reputation can make or break their business.  The board has to act to do the damage control.

USCTrojanCPA said:
morekaos said:
Corporate Suicide by hubris

Better.com CEO says he is 'taking time off effective immediately' after firing 900 employees on Zoom after he accused shirking staff of 'stealing from the company': Internal memo refers to 'very regrettable events over the last week'
An internal memo from Better.com's board of directors revealed CEO Vishal Garg would be 'taking time off' after he fired 900 workers on Zoom last week
Garg had accused staff of being lazy and stealing from the company and warned the remaining workers that they would not be allowed to fail twice
He then issued a groveling apology but stood by his decision
The board put the company's CFO in charge and hired an outside firm to do a leadership and cultural assessment of the company
The company said it plans to 'build a long-term sustainable and positive culture'
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ve-immediately-firing-900-employees-Zoom.html

Yup, karma is a biatch.

You got his walking papers from the board for being a moron. 

...and they hire him back... ;D ;D >:D

Better.com CEO who fired 900 workers in Zoom call is reinstated as the mortgage lender's top boss after taking 'time off to reflect on his leadership'
Vishal Garg, 43, will be returning to his 'full-time duties' after taking a break to figure out the 'leader I wanted to be'
It is unknown how Garg has changed his leadership style, but the company is planning on hiring new executives 
He famously fired 900 'unlucky' employees in December over a Zoom call
It is unclear when Garg will be returning to start his 'full-time duties' again
Better will now implement a new training course to help focus on new ethics and to a 'respectful' and 'healthier workplace'

with fast rising rates (which will kill refi activities) and record low inventory for purchase loans, don?t think it is a good time to be in the mortgage industry?

morekaos said:
...and they hire him back... ;D ;D >:D

Better.com CEO who fired 900 workers in Zoom call is reinstated as the mortgage lender's top boss after taking 'time off to reflect on his leadership'
Vishal Garg, 43, will be returning to his 'full-time duties' after taking a break to figure out the 'leader I wanted to be'
It is unknown how Garg has changed his leadership style, but the company is planning on hiring new executives 
He famously fired 900 'unlucky' employees in December over a Zoom call
It is unclear when Garg will be returning to start his 'full-time duties' again
Better will now implement a new training course to help focus on new ethics and to a 'respectful' and 'healthier workplace'

It all depends on the situation:
I believe people get chances to correct if it is not that bad.
I saw a first year always on social media. But the response I got was nothing. Someone told me that the company spent a lot in recruiting and training. blah blah

I think if the company had no cost, that person probably would not last. To top it off they charge the client for those hours. haha

That is hilariously incompetent.  Shoulda laid off the HR and software staff last maybe.    More than once have I been notified of workforce reductions at my work site from the local newspaper.

USCTrojanCPA said:
morekaos said:
?and the circle is complete?

Controversial start-up Better.com fires HALF its 8,000 staff after accidentally revealing their fate by adding 'severance' tab to their browsers and early pay-offs: CEO once fired 900 over Zoom and branded workers 'lazy thieves'
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...Better-com-set-lay-HALF-8-000-staff-week.html

Well since the refi business has basically dried up, we'll be seeing a lot more mortgage lender layoffs.

Purchase loans aren't exactly booming right now either.  Plus rates hit another post-taper high today sending us to April 2019 levels.

Liar Loan said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
morekaos said:

Controversial start-up Better.com fires HALF its 8,000 staff after accidentally revealing their fate by adding 'severance' tab to their browsers and early pay-offs: CEO once fired 900 over Zoom and branded workers 'lazy thieves'
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...Better-com-set-lay-HALF-8-000-staff-week.html

Well since the refi business has basically dried up, we'll be seeing a lot more mortgage lender layoffs.

Purchase loans aren't exactly booming right now either.  Plus rates hit another post-taper high today sending us to April 2019 levels.

Yeah for confirming loans.  My jumbo loan buyers are still get rates at 3% or lower.

USCTrojanCPA said:
Liar Loan said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
morekaos said:

Yeah for confirming loans.  My jumbo loan buyers are still get rates at 3% or lower.
Can confirm. Jumbo right now with WF is 3.125% with no relationship pricing.

USCTrojanCPA said:
HMart said:
What are these LOs and processors going to do?

Plenty of other sales jobs out there.

Nevermind, just checked our ATS and here's one applicant.

Dear Hiring Manager:

I am writing to be considered for the XXXXX position with XXXXX. As a detail-oriented and conscientious employee, I am passionate to facilitate a positive work
environment, empathize with team members and participants, and resourcefully work in a clinical research setting to achieve desired goals.

I am currently employed as a Processing Coordinator at Lend Plus and have double majored in Psychology and Sociology from the University of California, Santa Cruz. In my current position, I assist in the process of qualifying clients to obtain a mortgage loan. In the past year, mortgage interest rates have dropped significantly and resulted in a 60% increase in the volume of clients at my company. I have been able to
foster my qualities of being responsible, proactive, and efficient during high-stress situations.

As a Processing Coordinator, communication amongst the varying departments and with clients is essential to streamline a completed mortgage loan package within a timely manner. Since joining the company, my efforts have shown a higher rate of customer service satisfaction and quicker turn times in loan package approvals. My background in gathering and analyzing data, administrative support, organizational development, and interpersonal communication are necessary skills that will not only help me succeed, but also put me in an advantage towards potential growth as a XXXXX.

Due to the modest size of my employer, it is the norm for employees to take on new tasks, collaborate, and adapt quickly. Through this experience, I was able to truly appreciate the value of a team and how each individual in the company has a crucial role towards the production and synergy of the workplace.

As a XXXXX, I aspire to become a valuable asset to the team, work diligently to
ensure protocols are conducted safely, and aim to constantly learn and grow in daily challenges. I am passionate about helping people and hope to be a part of a team that is truly making an impactful difference in the lives of others.

I am excited for the opportunity to be considered for this position at XXXXX. I look forward to hearing from you in further detail about how I can contribute as a XXXXX. Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,
XXXXX

sleepy5136 said:

Yeah, jumbo loan for SRF is 3.125% with no relationship.

For my Bluffs 2, I locked with Sherry Wang at Citibank at 3.25%. Then I used $500k relationship and got it down to 2.875%, plus 0.375 point rebate for closing costs.

When I talked to Union Bank, I was quoted 3.125%, but $500k only got me 0.25% off and their rebate was around $1500 or so.

Union Bank is 90-day lock. Citibank is 75-day lock, but no fee for extension. So I went with Citibank.

CalBears96 said:
sleepy5136 said:

For my Bluffs 2, I locked with Sherry Wang at Citibank at 3.25%. Then I used $500k relationship and got it down to 2.875%, plus 0.375 point rebate for closing costs.

When I talked to Union Bank, I was quoted 3.125%, but $500k only got me 0.25% off and their rebate was around $1500 or so.

Union Bank is 90-day lock. Citibank is 75-day lock, but no fee for extension. So I went with Citibank.

How much did you have to move over to Citibank to get 1/4% off?  $250k?

USCTrojanCPA said:
CalBears96 said:
sleepy5136 said:

$50k to $199k for 1/8% off
$200k to $499k for 1/4% off
$500k to $999k for 3/8% off
$1M to $1.999M for 1/2% off
>$2M for 5/8% off

CalBears96 said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
CalBears96 said:
sleepy5136 said:

>$2M for 5/8% off

There's no such thing as a free lunch.

the key thing is how long you need to keep the money there before and after closing, and compute whether the opportunity cost is worth the interest rate saving (vs simply just buying points, which could be tax deductible).

Liar Loan said:
CalBears96 said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
CalBears96 said:
sleepy5136 said:

>$2M for 5/8% off

There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Back