University High School versus Northwood High School

what are we saying here...

irvine is a great place to live but dont go to uci, you wont get the college "experience"?

a boring college like uci is bad, but a boring city like irvine is good?

there's really not that much to do in irvine.

what makes it a great place to live? it sure aint the people...LOL

Rick,

I think it depends. For a lot of college students and my single friends, they think Irvine is so boring. For young 30s couples and single moms with children. I think that Irvine is the most idealistic place to raise a family.

jpx - I'm 30s and single, and I also think that Irvine is a great place to raise my son. (Just because I'm not part of a couple doesn't make me less of a parent.)

<p>Ok. Maybe UCI was a little boring. But with over 20,000 students, there must have been some fun ones to hang out with. </p>

<p>I guess that if you were going to live in Orange County, you might as well go to UCI. I don't think there's a better alternative in the OC.</p>

<p>Compared to all the community colleges and Cal States, UCI is amazing.</p>

i'm not saying uci students are no fun, i meant that uci campus is pretty dull.

<em>

a boring college like uci is bad, but a boring city like irvine is good?</em>

sadly, yes. my school has a tradition called the econ scream. on midnight before the first econ101 midterm -- the first major college exam for most first yrs -- the entire freshman class goes outside and engages in a 10 minute stress-releasing screaming session. the tradition has evolved from simple shouting into what-will-we-see-next??? streakers are common these days. massive coordinated choruses of R-rated noises? you get the drift...

harmless, if immature , college behavior. do i want see/hear this outside my window tonight? not in my neighborhood!

<p>It is unfortunate that colleges built after 1930’s lack the charm of a traditional college campus. The quadrangle or courtyard defined by the various school halls and the turn of the century frat houses once housed professors. The landscape selection carefully orchestrated by landscape architects helps define the beginning and ending of a season. Classic architecture is soften by wall climbing ivy devoid of trend, stood proudly and weathered beautifully and a true testament of time honored tradition. </p>

<p>The 4 years of campus living in a traditional setting created unique lifestyle that forever etched in the memory of its proud graduates. Students who graduated from schools described by this setting often return to the school to visit and encourage their kids, relatives and friends to attend the same school. The emotional ties are much stronger than students graduated from the newer schools. As many of the graduates reaching their retirement years a number of these traditional campuses are now creating an age and wealth qualified campus residences for the alumni. These senior residents have all school and amenity privileges like the students such as theatre, school plays, sport venue, library research, dining hall, and even sitting in the lectures to learn. </p>

<p>The newer schools lack the loyalty of their graduates due the weak student lifestyle identity while attending the school. Having a strong university village composed of successful restaurants, bars, retails, and cultural specialty stores. Book stores, and bike store is important in adding a lifestyle component to the campus identity. UCI lacks all of the tradition but it is centrally located in the wealthiest and a very desirable location. </p>

<p>During the 1980’s the regent hired the best architectural firms to design every buildings. The structures represented the best of the 80’s and 90’s but the architects were full of ego so every building is a sculpture that does not relate to one another. As a result, the fabric of the campus is intertwined with chaos and nothing really matches. I like the buildings and I hate the campus. Campus buildings should be calm and peaceful acting as the backdrop for students’ interaction. UCI structures are cold, sterile and uninviting. The scale of the circular site plan is too big and quite predictable. While older campuses have quads, courtyards and promenades that are punctuated with hierarchy and element of surprising spaces. Very few architects today have the skill to create campus building that feel warm and inviting. </p>

<p>Stanford, Berkeley, UCLA, USC, The Claremont Colleges, Cal Tech and Occidental College were designed with strong axis and hierarchy of active and passive outdoor spaces. Outdoor spaces that students gather and enjoy. Most outdoor spaces have a good element of feng shui and they are defensible spaces. The planning priciple of the Law of the West Indies applied to most of these campuses. Most building relates to a similar theme and materials. Landscape for most are specimen trees that work well and integrated with the building composition. Composition of site planning were rectilinear and buildings relate to one another by rectangular outdoor spaces and layered with trees for shades and human scale.</p>

<p>Mostly importantly in addition to studying hard there is life on campus. Many of their students are very proud to call their campus “home”.</p>

<p>I apologize for derailing this thread.</p>

" I wanted to go to UCSD then, but realize now that it wouldn't have been much different from UCI."

Again, I have to disagree. In most academicians' opinions, UCSD is superior to UCI in nearly every field. In fact, UCSD rivals UCLA in some fields, especially in the biosciences.

<p>Both are products of the Post Korean and WWII respectively. Both were designed by modernists. Modernists view structures as a machine. Site planning is their weakness. The best structure that represent this era is the Salk Institute in La Jolla designed by Kahn.</p>

<p>No wonder they are so cold and sterile. Thet are great to look at but bad to live in. Hollywood directors like to pair the modern architecture with lonely and mentally deranged killer who keep heads in the freezers and dysfunctional family. Nice family lives in "Father of the Bride" houses.</p>

<p>Try finding a better campus in Orange County than UCI. I admit that UCLA looks and feels a lot better than UCI, but it's in LA.</p>

<p>Can you remember how old and crusty your high school was compared to UCI?</p>

<p>I guess I didn't appreciate UCI enough while I was there. But after working at the local high schools, I realize how amazing the facilities at UCI are.</p>

<p>The only high school campus that is slightly similar in quality is Northwood High.</p>

UCSD is one of the best for resesearch and post graduste studies. It is a modern school campus worked into some terrain. Landscape is its stronger feature. Aesthetic and lifestyle of the campus is boring and this is why this school is all about life behind the labs.

Looks like between Uni and Northwood, UCI is coming out ahead. . .

I don't know, having gone to UCLA and taken a solid 16 units of summer credit at UCI, I just appreciate the feel of UCLA so much more. Yeah, it's LA and that sucks, but UCLA is so not a commuter school, not because it's so isolated, but because everywhere around is too traffic-y or too rich. (Although, I did get into Skybar once underaged-- which, for a guy, is something of an achievement). I think it would be hard to get nostalgic about UCI . . . I agree with Bk's reasoning.

I did have some "loud beer parties" at UCLA. . . as many whites do (some were broken up by police, but I got along fine with them), but I will say that there were plenty of Asian folks (among others) who also participated just as much, Bk (so I can't say I have a common experience as your earlier assertion about it's not being an Asian thing).

<p>Yes, I do remember my old elementary school and high school. Both were old and the history to go with them. Made of bricks with windows where I can look out and see the clouds, the trees, the birds, the rain, etc. ...Life...</p>

<p>I didn't mention liking my middle school/jr. high school. Why? because its like the buildings at UCI. A 2 level, block building with no windows. Felt like a prison. What a bad experience.</p>

<p>What is UCI known for these days? Back in the 80's, you can't even get an undergrad. business major or any other majors. It offered mainly undergrad science majors so you can transfer to other post grad universities.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>During my research students from the classic schools are much more vocal with their campus life experiences. It enriched them in such a way that their college experience is much fulfilled as compared to modern campuses. Most classic schools have a higher graduate school student population and offer more in their doctorate studies and newer campuses struggle to attract students and professors in their graduate program.</p>

<p>UCI is trying to offer better housing and golf membership to attract higher caliber of garduate program professors because most applicants said UCI has a very boring lifestyle. The home are under construction in the University Hills.</p>

<p>The life experience from the 4 years of school is just as equally important to academic achievements. Rarely people talked about their GPA from college but they talked a lot about how they lived and played.</p>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6J6TJiFt_M

These guys loved UCI!

Funny that the discussion gets to UCI, I just came back from down there after meeting with my dissertation chair there (he teaches undergrad stats there). I don't know that UCI is known for much except having a lot of Asian students there, to be quite blunt about it. They are quality, and I think it's a great school, it just doesn't warm my heart. Someone probably knew it was a bad sign when they thought it was a good location to film Planet of the Apes. . . (Somewhere Bk slapped his forehead).

UCI is a fine school. It takes decades and tremendous amounts of money to establish a top tier school and UCI has done well given its short history. Well, done well except for a handful of scandals and management problems. WTF was the chancellor thinking with that whole Prof. Chemerinsky deal? Who knows how many years UCI was set back in the academic community with that fux up.

That Chemerinsky thing was big pressure from NB Republicans on Drake. . . not UCI's first scandal and certainly won't be their last. They have to have one of these things every few years. . . remember Ricardo Asch and the Huevo's in the 90's?

Back