University High School versus Northwood High School

"right in the heart of OC, and see a heck of a lot more UCLA and USC flags around the cube farm than Anteater flags. Come to think of it, I'm not sure I have ever seen an Anteater flag."

That reminds me of that joke I heard many years ago:

"How do you know someone went to USC (or Notre Dame/Stanford/etc)?"

"They tell you"

I have a family member that went to Notre Dame and it seemed every conversation with someone new he found a way to squeeze in his Notre Dame alumni status.

24 - what about when the alumni start talking about the school althetic programs?

i used to work with a USC graduate and everytime he referred to the USC football team,

he would always say "WE" as in "because I went to USC, I am apart of the football team" WE...LMAO!!!

ISB - Backup School? Fullerton was my backup. I got into UCLA, etc. but I chose UCI for the location.

ABC - yes, UCI was boring! but it is what you make of it.

Questions: Are students from top schools with Top SAT scores (1500 +) more financially successful than those who are not?

Rick-- I found that a lot of people in my high school applied to UCI as a back-up. You sound like an exception to the rule. I also find that "We" stuff obnoxious. I don't feel responsible for my schools losses or take any credit for their athletic success.

IAD-- Around which year was that that you got the scholarship offer?

24, I know a Harvard guy like that. Guy did like a Master's there and has a rocking chair and all of that. Yeech.

I'm reminded of another joke. . . albeit a popular one. What do UCLA and USC students have in common? They all got into USC.

It's a pet peeve of mine when ppl use "we" instead of they. If they actually played on the team, though, it's OK in my book. And, if you're a current student and are referencing your school as "we" (as opposed to the team, as in "our football team") then that's fine as well.

I personally don't think your school determines your level of success - IIRC, many self-made millionaires come from public/state schools. It's what you make of your experience that matters. But, there is no denying that some private schools can have better facilities and provide better connections to their students. That's not to say though that you're at a significant disadvantage at all if you go public (you'll probably have lower student loan payments for one thing )

Oh and just an FYI. I went my first year to Irvine High, then the last 3 years to Northwood. And yes, there was quite a big difference when it came to like school amentities (campus, cafeteria, weight room, restrooms. locker room. etc.) But once you got in the classrooms they were pretty much the same (unless you had a class in the modulars at Irvine).

Of course, they were a little cleaner at Northwood, but they pretty much all had the same set up with the TV, VCR. I think some Irvine classes had chalkboards instead of whiteboards. The extra room (I think they called it pod room) in between every 3 or 4 classes was nice when we did group stuff at Northwood. I know this is a Uni/Northwood discussion, but I saw some Irvine high shool talk so figured it was worth adding my experience at both schools. However, I did only take 2 AP classes so therefore my experiences in those super GPA classes are quite limited. This was 5+ years ago so things could have changed as well.

The thing I did love at Northwood was their bell schedule. Those Tutorial sessions on Tues/Thurs really come in handy if you are struggling with a certain class or want help from a teacher right before a test. Also, the 9 AM start on Wednesdays is very nice to have :)

are there any plans for another HS in the southeast side of irvine -- near quail hill? quail hill to uni high seems like a trek that accessible only by freeway given that you can't cut through shady canyon.

Freeway not too bad - the on ramp from Quail Hill goes into it's own lane, then you can stay in that lane to take the next exit to get to Rancho/Uni high. So often, in morning rush hour, that lane isn't packed like the rest of the freeway, and you go a bit faster. And you don't even have to change lanes as it evolves into a left turn lane when you get off.

"Among friends, co-workers and people you know, do you see a more successful people with 1500+ SAT / Ivy students or vice versa? I have close friends who graduated from Harvard, Stanford, UCI, and Cal State."

These are two separate questions. First of all, it is best to answer these types of questions with hard data and not "among the four friends you know" types of inquiries. The research on schools show that statistically, people who attend the very top schools do do better than people who do not. However, the difference is not as great as some people might expect. In fact, the different is insignificant if you control for their pre-undergraduate accomplishments/GPA/SAT scores. In other words, if you are a top student, it doesn't matter as much if you attend a top tier private school, a top tier public school, or even an above average college.

So, to answer your first question, "Do people with higher SAT scores have a higher career income?" (if that's what you're measuring success by), the answer is yes. The answer to your second question, "Do people who attend the very top private schools have a higher career income?", is yes, but not statistically higher than if they had chosen to attend another good school.

I can think of at least three questions that are better than the ones you've posed, however:

1) What is the greatest educational determinant of your final career income? As far as I'm aware, that is the final degree you obtain; there is a linear correlation to time you spend in school to how much you make (e.g. doctoral-level degrees command the highest salaries).

2) Why are you attending a specific college vs. another? Harvard will expose you to people you would never normally meet and it is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity you don't get in many places.

3) Should success be measured entirely by your "networth"? Is it really that bad to work for your dad's dry cleaning business?

SAT, intended as a predictor of grades in college only accounts for 40% of their variance. . .

The people that my brothers were (and are) exposed to at their Ivy league schools were way more connected than anyone I ever met at UCLA. Tons more on tuition? Yes, but the job opportunities are way greater.

IAD, I think that relationship is more curvilinear, with a lot of variance. In general, yes, it is a positive correlation though.

<p>IAD </p>

<p>1) Higher Education degree will help you start high, but performance will carry you in the long run. As the degree does not guarantee better performance. I find that designations that come after graduation, ones you earn while working carry more weight. CFA, CPA, MBA's. Designations WITH work experience. </p>

<p>2) You dont have to go to Harvard to meet people from there. You can meet interesting people everywhere, at parties, where you work, etc. </p>

<p>3) Success is one word, but it's used to DESCRIBE many things. Success at work, success in marriage, family, success financially... BUT once you use success as a MEASURING device, the meaning goes out the door.</p>

"Higher Education degree will help you start high, but performance will carry you in the long run. As the degree does not guarantee better performance."

This is a nonscientific statement. Of course work performance helps determine your career outcome. So does your physical height, your race, and your sex. The original question was about education so I was relating what I know about the hard data researchers have found about education and its impact on income. Oh, and ISB, you are right, I didn't mean to say "linear", I meant to say "direct". How linear it is depends on how you view the data. But there is no doubt that there is a direct relationship.

"I find that designations that come after graduation, ones you earn while working carry more weight. CFA, CPA, MBA's. Designations WITH work experience."

If you are talking about individuals, I find that designations, whether they are academic or professional, are ALL meaningless, whether or not they come with work experience. Your success will come from your work, your reputation, and your connections. Those letters are just good for making your business card busier-looking.

"You dont have to go to Harvard to meet people from there. You can meet interesting people everywhere, at parties, where you work, etc."

This is true, but when you attend Harvard, *everyone* you meet is "from there". Of course, "interesting people" come in different types... how many nobel laureates have you had the chance to chat with? I'm not saying that this is necessarily good or bad, but the opportunities at a place like Harvard cannot be easily measured.

there have also been studies that show the top tier institutions are in a class of their own. top tier matters relative to everyone else. debating between usc, ucla, virginia, nyu, berkeley, virginia, mich, notre dame, rice, and even the lesser ivies, etc... pretty much moot -- they're all solid schools.

this phenomenom is especially true when it comes to MBA degrees since they're so prolific nowadays.

sort of like tiger woods. there's him and there's everyone else. does it really matter? but being the pro tour you're still a pretty damn good golfer.

<p>I got accepted to UCSD, UCR, UCI, and UCLA. I wanted to go to UCSD then, but realize now that it wouldn't have been much different from UCI. UCR was a backup school so I'm glad I didn't go there. UCLA would have been better than UCI, but I prefer Orange County over Los Angeles. And yes, I think location matters GREATLY in regards to where you attend college. When I was in college, half of my life revolved around UCI and the other half was about everything else in the OC.</p>

<p>It seems to me that the people on this blog have superior academic background so there's a greater interest in the top tier schools. But for an average high school graduate, I think that UCI is a great choice. </p>

<p>I've taken classes at Cypress, OCC, and Goldenwest so I know how inadequate their facilities are. CSULB and CSUF are also very outdated. UCI is big, modern, and close to Newport Coast - the center of wealth in the OC. I think that home value is a great indication of the desirability of a place to live. And being that UCI borders Newport Coast shows how desirable it is to live around there.</p>

<p>It's great to go to a good school, but it's also good to love where you live when you're there.</p>

not shooting down uci as that's where i've been taking post-grad classes now and spent plenty of time here in my undergrad days hanging out with childhood friends. my personal experiences, when contrasted with other places i've studied, is that uci is too big and too impersonal. it's very uncollegiate and unstimulating to me -- i feel like i'm in a giant office park. not surprising given the campus was designed by an architect that specializes in pre-fab concrete. the feel is that of a commuter school, where campus is merely a place you go for classes and a few other activities. aldridge park is a perfect example. this was uci's attempt at the traditional college green except no one ever stops and hangs around there. it's merely a shortcut between one part of campus to another as opposed to the center of life for the university. like hs teacher mentioned, the other half of life revolved elsewhere. it takes 20 minutes just to park your car so most people just want to get in and out as quick as they can. everyone else is either on bike, skateboard, or scooter. and if you happen to see someone walking, theres a good chance he/she has ipod headphones on. that classic image you might envision of a bunch of college students sitting in a circle on the grass discussing nietze -- at uci it's a lone kid on a bench with his laptop. so the amount of interaction and socialization that goes on is tiny relative to other campuses i've been on. not to say that uci students dont socialize -- they just socialize outside of school given all the other amenities OC offers.

some of the most prestigious universities are located in the worst neighborhoods imagined. the student body lives, work, and play in and around campus because, quite frankly, the university is the best and most interesting place around.

personally i hope my children want to go off to college somewhere more interesting, perhaps more edgy, than irvine. i would say the same about ucsd being in la jolla. i'm glad i live in irvine now, but i would want my kids to learn it often takes hard work and study elsewhere to earn the privilege of getting to live in a place as fantastic as irvine. just one man's opinion...

For reputation, networking, location, quality of education/teachers/students, etc. etc. all these valued qualities, Stanford is probably the best of the best.

How many (or %) of Uni High graduates each year get accepted into top tier schools (Stanford, Harvard, MIT, Princeton, Yale, etc.)? how many in Northwood High?

<em> some of the most prestigious universities are located in the worst neighborhoods imagined. </em>

Yes - or they are located in remote places (Dartmouth, Cornell, etc.), where you can't help but mix school and community. I had this type of experience and really enjoyed it.

Back