two-story vs three-story condo

elliojc_IHB

Its my first time posting on here and I had a question and wanted your thoughts on it. I was not able to find anything regarding this topic so hopefully this won't be a double post.

I am currently looking to purchase a 3bedroom condo in Irvine either in Woodbury, Northpark, or Quail Hill. And I realize a lot of the condos are now 3 stories. What do you guys think the resale value of a condo will be on a 3 story condo vs a 2 story condo? Do you think think the value of a 2 story condo will be worth more compared to a 3 story condo in 5 years?

My initial thought was that a two story condo would be better and be worth more because it doesn't have a lot of stairs to deal with and it is probably more ideal for a family. But with so many 3 story condos here in Irvine being built, it doesn't seem like it is an issue in Irvine.

What are your thoughts???

From what I have seen, it only matters if you are selling in a retirement area. Otherwise, 3-stories tend to sell just as well as the 2 stories.

I my opinion three story condos were selling in the last few years... because EVERYTHING was selling in the last few years! People looked at square footage, no matter how it was configured. If given the option between a two or three story... I would choose the two story.

When I was touring the new communities in Irvine over the last few years. The first properties to sell out were the single story units, followed by the two story units.

I hate vacuuming stairs... :blank:

My wife and I don't even bother looking at the 3 story floor plans. They plans are extremely inconvenient and compacted in compared to same square footage 2 story floor plans. We already hate walking up 1 flight of stairs right now, so why would we want to bu a place that require more walking?

My opinion, third floor hot, first floor cold.

Calling BK for detailed circulation attributes of a third story vs. two story condo. At least he knows what a condo is now, thanks to AI. I am sure the circulation has something to do with the mello roos though.

If the roomba could handle stairs, then more three story condos would sell. Right GITOC?

hehe First things first. You have to make sure if you get a 3 story, you HAVE to get a damper system! The builder, if he aint cheap will throw it in for 2k. Basically, it's a thermostat for each floor and it's a variable damper that opens and closes depending on where the heating/cooling is needed.

IIRC, there are some two story, three bedroom condos in NorthPark Square in the Monticello tract. The Mello Roos taxes are lower in the "older" neighborhoods, like North Park and North Park Square. Also, the Serissa tract in newer Northwood (Northwood II?) also offers 3 bd attached homes on only two stories.

But really, if you are going to go with 3 bedrooms, just get a detached condo if it's in the budget.

I owned a three story unit years ago.

It gets old fast, trust me. You end up using just two floors and leave one for storage because you really only want to walk up and down 1 flight of steps.

May look OK if you haven't done it before but my recommendation... steer clear.

[quote author="graphrix" date=1211813306]My opinion, third floor hot, first floor cold.

Calling BK for detailed circulation attributes of a third story vs. two story condo. At least he knows what a condo is now, thanks to AI. I am sure the circulation has something to do with the mello roos though.

If the roomba could handle stairs, then more three story condos would sell. Right GITOC?</blockquote>

Very true about the temp diff. I only think 3 story condos are popular and will remain popular due to their low price point and the desperation of newly weds to own a piece of the american dream.

I think the three-story townhomes are a perfect fit for graphrix for the following reasons:

a. Toilet is <strong>over AND under </strong>the kitchen, which surprisingly has not yet been identified as primo feng-shui-itude.

2. Maximum distance between bedrooms and downstairs office helps to minimize roommate irritation as he yells at the computer screen over and over and over, again.

thirdly) Xlnt opportunity for exercise on stairs to work off all of those cantaloop fro-yos he's been eating for free.

Rent one immediately.

3-story condos are a horrible waste of space. First, there's all the stairs. Then the room sizes are weird because each floor is relatively small. 3-story only works for a mansion. We see them because everybody wants their "own house" but they would work much better as single-story stacked condos with good floors. Plus, what if you hurt your knee or something?

these units also have a very limited buyer mkt. older folk and those with young children will want nothing to do with them. your market will be limited to high income DINKS or singles that don't mind renting out several rooms.

http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/forums/viewthread/2137/

Check out this thread for a comment by bkshopr on just how square footage is calculated in regards to stairs... will give you a new perspective on those three story homes!

From Bkshopr:

<strong><em>"When buying a 3 story home the stairs is counted twice (100 sf) in the square footage. Each stairs is about 50 sf.

Most 3 story homes segregate the bedrooms at each level and they are difficult for parents to keep their eyes on the kids."</em></strong>

[quote author="graphrix" date=1211813306]My opinion, third floor hot, first floor cold.

If the roomba could handle stairs, then more three story condos would sell. Right GITOC?</blockquote>

I'm also waiting for my roomba to learn how to clean the bathroom, wash my laundry, take out the trash... :coolsmile:

<blockquote>3-story condos are a horrible waste of space. First, there?s all the stairs. Then the room sizes are weird because each floor is relatively small.</blockquote>

I have to agree. Not a big fan of three story designs--don't like to walk so many stairs and awkward floor layout on some designs. I would think a 2 story would have better mass appeal on resale. Also the bad feng shui thing--you almost always tend to walk right into the stairs from the entry on the 1st floor. You certainly don't want to lose your Asian buyers on resale in Irvine ;-)

I live in a 3 floor condo and don't mind it.

I like those 2-story house with a furnished attic (3rd floor). Preferably with at least 1 bedroom + full bath on 1st floor.

Basements aren't popular here but I think those are great, for bunker / fallout shelter conversion...

<blockquote>Basements aren?t popular here but I think those are great, for bunker / fallout shelter conversion</blockquote>

I would love to have a basement option as well. Cooler during the hot summers plus the safety/entertainment options. I really liked the one at Columbus Grove--<a href="http://www.lennar.com/CA/OrangeCounty/TheGables@ColumbusSquare/PlanFour.html">The Gables Model #4</a>. Who wouldn't want space for a media room and pool table--I guess a "bunker" would be my 2nd choice ;-) The model basement was only half sunk in so you still had lots of natural light from windows.

I am living in a three story condo right now. I would not purchase this place as it has 1 floor on each level. When my girlfriend and I get married and start a family, I would prefer that my bedroom would be on the same floor as the children. Ideally a 2bedroom upstairs and one downstairs would be good for our needs.

When I was at Village of Columbus we walked through one of the houses that has a "basement" and I thought it was a cool way to add a bit more space to your house without getting too tall.

gwailo, you're probably referring to the Gables Plan 4 that IACRenter linked above you.

when referring to 3 story condo, are most of us thinking of those 3 floor condos where the bottom floor is just entrance, garage, and sometimes an extra bd/ba? these floorplans are terrible because even though you rarely use the bottom floor, you still need to walk all the way down there every time enter and exit.

i think a floorplan like momo's in is different and not so much an issue if the 3rd floor on top is a bonus room.

<blockquote>i think a floorplan like momo?s in is different and not so much an issue if the 3rd floor on top is a bonus room.</blockquote>

Are you talking more like the homes in Northpark Square? An Alder Creek home at <a href="http://www.redfin.com/CA/IRVINE/12-IRON-SPGS-92602/home/5859225">12 Iron Springs</a> with a 3rd floor bonus room? I think even Campanile Residence 2 also had a 3rd floor bonus room option as well.

Back