Tustin Air Base Hangar on fire

Just got a text indicating they will be handling out 4 breakfast and lunch packages for each student at a designated schools. It basically means they will do virtual for rest of this week. 😀

IUSD thinks it’s no big deal. I told my son he shouldve sticked with Northwood HS instead of BHS 😎
really? some students would starve if they don't get breakfast and lunch from school?

I don't buy their excuse that it's too dangerous to go put out the fire. So, they're just going to pick their nose and watch it burn. Why didn't they air-drop some water??

I had this book sitting on my shelf. I took these photos to share what it said about the hangars and their future plans for them when the book was published in 2011. Interesting. Convey all the land and demo the South Hangar.20231114_005926.jpg20231114_010002.jpg20231114_010008.jpg20231114_010034.jpg

Last edited:
really? some students would starve if they don't get breakfast and lunch from school?
It's a state mandate to provide free meals. The district doesn't really get a say in it.

There's no sane world in which the kids in high income parts of Orange County should be receiving free meals at taxpayer expense, but that's the state we live in. We don't want to make anybody feel singled out for getting free food, so just give it to everybody, even the kids driving Beamers to school.

Last edited:
I don't buy their excuse that it's too dangerous to go put out the fire. So, they're just going to pick their nose and watch it burn. Why didn't they air-drop some water??

They provided all this information on Day 1 as to why the strategy to do a controlled burn was the best path forward:
  • The building was already unstable to begin with. The fire only further jeopardized it. Having firefighters out there where the building can fall on them at any time is unsafe.
  • There is no water access at the hangar. OCFA would need to continue with water relays. Even with that, they don't have the ability to hose from 17 stories high.
  • The only other alternative would be helicopters dropping water. It is extremely costly and doesn't guarantee that it will put out all embers and flames.
  • A controlled burn with no risk of fire spreading to surrounding areas was deemed as the best plan. Extinguishing the fire and then demolishing it (likely using explosives) would be far more disruptive than letting the structure burn to the ground and having hazmat crews clean it up.
If it's not airborne, why are they telling residents in near radius to wear masks?

Likely to give the community reassurance that they're not breathing in falling debris. Keep in mind that the asbestos (and other VOCs) are rising in the smoke/ash and then being immediately diluted with the outside air. Asbestos and other VOC's are naturally occurring - the addition of what's going up from the hangar probably isn't enough to move the needle.

We should all keep in mind that the dramatic response taking place was due to testing of large debris chunks which resulted in confirmation that they contained asbestos. All air samples have tested negative for airborne asbestos and VOC's.

They provided all this information on Day 1 as to why the strategy to do a controlled burn was the best path forward:
  • The building was already unstable to begin with. The fire only further jeopardized it. Having firefighters out there where the building can fall on them at any time is unsafe.
  • There is no water access at the hangar. OCFA would need to continue with water relays. Even with that, they don't have the ability to hose from 17 stories high.
  • The only other alternative would be helicopters dropping water. It is extremely costly and doesn't guarantee that it will put out all embers and flames.
  • A controlled burn with no risk of fire spreading to surrounding areas was deemed as the best plan. Extinguishing the fire and then demolishing it (likely using explosives) would be far more disruptive than letting the structure burn to the ground and having hazmat crews clean it up.
Are you on Reddit too?? I literally just read this exact reply to someone else, word-for-word over there. I won't link to it, in order to maintain your privacy. Or maybe someone else wrote it and this is just a copy & paste.

The circumstances surrounding all of it is just too bizarre. It isn't just 1 or 2 things but a lot of things added up that are weird.

Are you on Reddit too?? I literally just read this exact reply to someone else, word-for-word over there. I won't link to it, in order to maintain your privacy. Or maybe someone else wrote it and this is just a copy & paste.

The circumstances surrounding all of it is just too bizarre. It isn't just 1 or 2 things but a lot of things added up that are weird.

I am on Reddit but I didn't post the same thing there. Most of my responses on reddit are much shorter due to the fact I use it primarily on my phone. T.I. I use on my laptop so it's easier to type longer responses.

All TUSD green schools will be open for instruction except Hicks Canyon Elementary. Wonder what the hold-up is there...maybe they had to clean some debris.

Back