Thinking of moving

traceimage

Thinking of moving, and since I'm indecisive, I want other people's opinions. Right now we're in Irvine, but we don't love the neighborhood or school we are zoned to, and we have no pool...and I've recently decided I MUST HAVE A POOL. (We could put one in, but it would have to be really small).

So we are considering Irvine, Aliso Viejo, and Laguna Niguel. Thoughts?

are you one of the spool fan boys? i am looking to add one as well. school and safety pick is irvine but you pay for them through your tax. if you don't have kids, pick aliso viejo. IMO.

traceimage said:
We do have kids. I thought Aliso Viejo was pretty good for kids. Am I wrong about that?

Schools aren't that great, unless you're planning to take the toll road to Sage Hill every day... then AV is very convenient.

Congratulation on the little one! A decent pool size lot is rare. I  don't recommend Homes built prior to 2,000 in Laguna Niguel and Aliso Viejo.

Katherine Thompson built most of the homes in Aliso and she is no longer in business and so are most of the Laguna Niguel builders including the better ones like JM Peters, Bramalea and Shapell. These homes are full of construction defects and even some properties were improperly graded. Class action lawsuits there prompted improved construction management in the home industry. Post Y2K homes are better quality but lot sizes shrunk.

To do a pool and a code required pool fence the rear yard must be large enough to compartmentalize the 2 zones. I just don't think you will find properties large enough. Typically these neighborhoods have community pools and lots are quite small.

North Tustin and Cowan Heights are better choices. Foothill High School or OCHSA are in the similar caliber or better than the south county high schools. The lots are between 1/4 to 1/2 acre. The pool is essential for outdoor entertainment there. With your experience you can buy a fixer on a large lot.

Pool in a tract neighborhood is a losing investment. Future resale buyers don't value it.

@IHS.  Seems you know the ancient Irvine better than most of us here. Most people bought in Irvine end up putting it on market for resale sooner or later. Where do you see people moving to after they sell?

Putting a pool in the yard may not be possible anyway regardless of yard size. My understanding is that some cities have recently begun to stop issuing permits to install pools due to the severe drought conditions. Not sure where Irvine currently stands on that, though. The article I read also mentioned restrictions on the water levels of existing pools as far as how many inches or whatever people would be allowed to top them off.

hell no. don't want to see homeless every day and even though i got boys but dont want take any chances if the registered sex offenders in foothill ranch are gay

WTTCHMN said:
The California Court Company said:
We are getting out Irvine as well. Much better school district for the new place

Moving to Foothill Ranch?  ;)

irvinehomeshopper said:
To do a pool and a code required pool fence the rear yard must be large enough to compartmentalize the 2 zones. I just don't think you will find properties large enough. Typically these neighborhoods have community pools and lots are quite small.

North Tustin and Cowan Heights are better choices. Foothill High School or OCHSA are in the similar caliber or better than the south county high schools. The lots are between 1/4 to 1/2 acre. The pool is essential for outdoor entertainment there. With your experience you can buy a fixer on a large lot.

Pool in a tract neighborhood is a losing investment. Future resale buyers don't value it.

+1.

nice HOA pool >>> having my own pool for safety and maintenance cost issues.

I'm one of those tract house buyers and have two young kids.

But if I lived in an area where there was no community pool then I wouldn't consider a private pool unless the lot was at least a quarter acre and the pool could be situated well away from the house. I hate when people shoehorn small pools into small lots--I've passed on otherwise very nice houses just for this reason. 

+1 on North Tustin/Lemon Heights/Cowan Heights and maybe Villa Park if you want a place that has lot sizes big enough  to support having a private pool.

Back