Things not to say to propective or current re clients

awgee_IHB

<p>If you are serious, you had better buy now or you might be priced out of the market.</p>

<p>I will show my client the offer, but I just want to let you know that we have another offer for more coming in this afternoon.</p>

<p>It is possible to sell your home yourself, but I have seen so many horror stories of FSBOs who misreprent their properties or make mistakes.</p>

<p>Sure you can wait, but if you see a property you love, you really need to make an offer.</p>

<p>Things have been a bit slower than last year, but the last two weeks we have seen alot more traffic.</p>

<p>The recent events won't effect the market here. This is a very local market. Owners here do not have payment problems.</p>

<p><em>Ok, I think y'all are getting the jist of this by now. Your turn to add some of the things you hear out there from re agents that make you want to roll your eyes and make you want to run from them as fast as possible.</em></p>

<p>lm - Howz about: "<em>Rates are creeping up, so you better get in now."</em></p>

<p>Typical scare tactic.</p>

<p><em>The more earnest money you put down, the more seriously your offer is taken.</em></p>

<p><em>We have a listing that doesn't quite meet your requirements, but *I* think is perfect for you.</em></p>

<p>And please, RE folks... don't list a property without a full set of pictures. I'm not going to spend gas and time driving all over the place to see houses when I can sit around in my sock and winnow down the list to 3 or 4 probable homes on my computer. Teh intarweb iz ur friend!</p>

"Don't worry about the asking price - just offer what you're willing to pay." Thanks - I was going to offer way more than I was willing to pay. And, BTW, all that does is confirm the fact that asking prices are becoming more and more meaningless.

<p><em>"<em>We have a listing that doesn't quite meet your requirements, but *I* think is perfect for you."</em></em></p>

<p>Darn you Nude. Do you have any idea what it is like to have Dr. Pepper go up your nose? Ouch!</p>

HOC - When I hear that comment, it's usually made moments after I think to myself "Man, this place has no chance of selling at this price...none." To me, that is a flag that the RE agent doesn't think too highly of the property either. I could be completely wrong though.

Caliguy,

That...or that many agents use Open Houses more as a tool to get more clients than actually sell the house since most homes will be sold via the MLS.

That has always been my experience when calling about properties or attending Open Houses.

"Dont worry. You can afford this house"

"They are not making land anymore"

"Hurry. This one wont last"

"Trust me"

"Its not just the commission. I really care about you"

<p>I don't have a RE agent's comment but I made the mistake of putting my phone number on their "open house" guest list. Oh lord, the agent kept calling and calling. He called so many times that I memorized his phone number on my caller ID. </p>

<p>I actually cringed whenever I see his number on my wireless phone. Even after I said, "I am no longer in the market." He still called a month later.</p>

The absolute worst was the barrage of calls and mailings we got after our listing expired on the MLS. We started getting calls at 8 am the next day and we got about 15-20 a day for 4 days. When I told them we were on the "Do Not Call" list and that telemarketers were not allowed to call before 9 o'clock they somehow didn't think those rules applied to them. I think we got stray calls for about 2 weeks after that. Many RE agents came to our door to let us know how they were different from all the rest (yeah right). Our mailbox was stuffed with solicitations from RE agents.

Also Reason, Be sure to block your phone number if you call a RE agent about a listing, or they will continue to call you back. If they do call back, tell them you are already working with an agent and that usually gets them to stop.

<em>"Its not just the commission. I really care about you"</em>

I remember my grandparents stayed in touch with the realtor who sold their home. The genuinely believed the realtor cared. Of course, we all know they didn't -- except maybe to build a future commission, but I didn't have the heart to tell them.

<p>I cannot believe that no one brought out the classic "It is a good time to buy!!!!" It is the starting point of every real estate sale</p>

<p><a href="http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ubsd-tWYmZw">youtube.com/watch</a></p>

IC - That ad still makes me laugh every time. Add to the list any of the <a href="http://youtube.com/watch?v=I8Em6JQGcLA">points made in this NAR piece</a>

Howz about, "I have to put my client's interest above my own, because all my business is by word of mouth and I would be out of business tomorrow if I didn't make my client's interest my number one priority."

<em>>>I remember my grandparents stayed in touch with the realtor who sold their home. The genuinely believed the realtor cared. Of course, we all know they didn't -- except maybe to build a future commission, but I didn't have the heart to tell them.</em>

When a friend of mine from grad school got married a few years back, we were all wondering who her maid of honor was. Turned out, it was her realtor. I had nothing to say to that.

<p>I never sign that dang sheet at open houses, or if I do I'm Dagney Taggart 562-555-1212. Reason has a great point, NEVER sign that sheet or give your real phone number out.</p>

<p>"What's your price range"? </p>

<p>Please DO NOT pester me while I walk around and look. Simply say hello, ask if I'll sign in (and don't be pissed when I won't) and LEAVE ME ALONE. You following me around like a puppy dog screams desperate. Kinda like furniture salesman. If I like what I see, I'll engage you in conversation.</p>

<p>"Properties like this don't last long". </p>

<p>On a side note, I've been to several open houses where there is no furniture. The (insert name for person being paid by realtard to sit in the place) brought a folding lawn chair and plunked down in the middle of the carpeted living room with a book. It's weird walking into a vacant space with a lawnchair sitting, book reading who knows who. If this is to be my future home, that is not the first impression I want. Please set up something decent for them to sit at, a little table with two chairs at minimum. </p>

Back