The new iPhone 4 is HAWT!

There have been some articles recently (can't find them at this moment) that the JesusPhone 4.0 give some clues as to the IPad 2.0 that will come in time. Once the IPad gets a front facing camera I believe pads will begin to supplement phones, perhaps at sometime even replace them. Yes, pads are big, but not that big relatively speaking. I'd rather lug around a pad and an earpiece by itself than a laptop, a cell phone, and an earpiece.

Anyone who buys first generation Apple products is certain to lose money. That's why for all the whiz-bang'ery of the IPad, it's just not the device it will be in time. Depending on what the rumor mills say as the Verizon IPhone approaches, it might be wise to watch the development of the IPad before jumping in.

My .02c

Soylent Green Is People. 

Sorry, USC, looks like you were right:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-30686_3-20007159-266.html?tag=nl.e703

What about a current AT&T subscriber that is using a smartphone other than an iPhone, such as a BlackBerry or the Nokia E71x? Are these subscribers eligible for an upgrade six months before their contracts end like the current iPhone users?
No, they are not eligible. Only current iPhone customers can upgrade six months early. All other AT&T subscribers must wait until their existing contracts expire.

"No early iPhone for you!!!"

sgip: Why they did the iPad without a camera is beyond me... all the netbooks have one so it doesn't make sense (and without a USB port too). But that's Apple for 'ya... they do what they want to do and people buy it anyways... Steve Jobs must also work for The Irvine Company.

The early adopters, rabid fanboy's (and girls..) and the "look what I got" poser crowd is financing the R+D needed to upgrade the IPad. That's what happened with JesusPhone v1, which became JP3g - a much better unit. Since JP3g the product really hasn't changed much. The new version has a better screen resolution (ho hum. Are you really going to watch Gone With The Wind on a 4 inch screen?) a better network (keeping up with new tech) and a front facing camera (..about time!) That's not much of a revolutionary change IMHO.

The IPad will need to get more universal input/output methods, a front/rear camera, and the right chipset in order to become a breakthrough device. If they do this, laptop makers better beware. You're already seeing Dell and other computer makers drift into the Pad market. There's a reason why. It will at some point become the dominant tool for communication, entertainment, and general work. For example: If you have any stock in companies that make in car entertainment units, dump it. For $1,200 you get a nice in car DVD unit. For $950 you get two portable IPads that don't require DVD purchases/rentals per se.

My .02c

Soylent Green Is People.

seriously, why no USB on the ipad....I will never understand.  Well I do (something to put on the 2nd generation as a "new feature") but it is still lame.

The funny thing is... for some reason Apple makes old technology new.

Touchscreen phones existed before Apple... but once the iPhone came out... everyone wants a touchscreen.

Pad/tablet computing devices have been around forever... but now that the iPad has sold millions, PC vendors are "reinvesting" into tablet technology.

Someone tell Apple to make an iCar so all the automakers will be forced to give us vehicles that don't rely on fossil fuel and we can avoid events like the BP Oil Fail.

irvinehomeowner said:
Sorry, USC, looks like you were right:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-30686_3-20007159-266.html?tag=nl.e703

What about a current AT&T subscriber that is using a smartphone other than an iPhone, such as a BlackBerry or the Nokia E71x? Are these subscribers eligible for an upgrade six months before their contracts end like the current iPhone users?
No, they are not eligible. Only current iPhone customers can upgrade six months early. All other AT&T subscribers must wait until their existing contracts expire.

"No early iPhone for you!!!"

sgip: Why they did the iPad without a camera is beyond me... all the netbooks have one so it doesn't make sense (and without a USB port too). But that's Apple for 'ya... they do what they want to do and people buy it anyways... Steve Jobs must also work for The Irvine Company.

It's TIC learned from Steve Jobs.

irvinehomeowner said:
The funny thing is... for some reason Apple makes old technology new.

Touchscreen phones existed before Apple... but once the iPhone came out... everyone wants a touchscreen.

Pad/tablet computing devices have been around forever... but now that the iPad has sold millions, PC vendors are "reinvesting" into tablet technology.

Someone tell Apple to make an iCar so all the automakers will be forced to give us vehicles that don't rely on fossil fuel and we can avoid events like the BP Oil Fail.

Yeah - not much new technology in the ipad - but you have to give it to Apple. What they do, they do well. All it needed was someone with the vision, engineering and marketing skills (very important in todays markets) to put these technologies together into a good package

Pre-orders start today... but both Apple and AT&Ts website servers are clogged with all the traffic.

Your best bet is Best Buy, Radio Shack or Walmart although it's sketchy on whether they are taking pre-orders or not.

yep it's telling me my request could not be processed at this time!  argh.

irvinehomeowner said:
Pre-orders start today... but both Apple and AT&Ts website servers are clogged with all the traffic.

Your best bet is Best Buy, Radio Shack or Walmart although it's sketchy on whether they are taking pre-orders or not.

irvinehomeowner said:

My mom has a 3G iPhone and placed an order for my the the 4G iPhone today since she is well past her 2 year contract.  It'll be an early birthday present which comes up next month.  Hope they won't give me crap when I throw my SIM card in that new phone.  :)

irvinehomeowner said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
Hope they won't give me crap when I throw my SIM card in that new phone.  :)
Except you'll need to trim your SIM card. The new iPhone 4 uses the micro-SIM.
So how would they transfer my SIM card in my LG phone into an iPhone if I were to do an upgrade?  Am I going to lose all my contacts and start over?

Most GSM phones have a Copy Contacts feature.

You copy the contacts on your LG phone. You put the micro-SIM (it's in a standard SIM perforated card) into the LG phone and copy them onto there. Then you poke the micro-SIM out and put that into the new iPhone.

There are also software solutions to copy contact info. Or, like I said... you cut your current SIM into the size of a micro-SIM (not recommended). I think AT&T might also have SIM copying hardware/software at their stores.

Man... Jobs is so crafty.

Everyone who wants the "trendy" white one has to wait until the 24th... this way lines will still be redic.

I'm gonna pre-order a black... and then exchange it for a white... think that will work?

irvinehomeowner said:
Man... Jobs is so crafty.

Everyone who wants the "trendy" white one has to wait until the 24th... this way lines will still be redic.

I'm gonna pre-order a black... and then exchange it for a white... think that will work?

I don't think that will work as the white phone may not be available 30 days after the initial launch.  It's saying late summer.

Back