The mysterious Priority List

bones said:
zubs said:
All human beings have a tendency to see someone buy something, and then want it too.  It is built into us.  Marketing would be a fool not to exploit it.  Manipulate human nature for your own profit.

Yea I get it. It explains why I see the same bags all over town.  Didn't know it extended to million dollar homes too.  Obviously if priced right with a good floorplan/lot then the homes should draw a lot of interest. But didn't know people actually made buy decisions based on how crowded an "imaginary" wait list may or may not be.

Birkin bags, Tesla cars, Sagewood homes...

The priority list was used against me because lots were available in January and all throughout May. e.g. "If you don't buy this lot, I can't guarantee that the lot you want with a decent backyard and at the end of the cul-de-sac will be offered to you due to the priority list. We have people interested in the same lots you're waiting for. Prices will increase each phase too. So the lot you want, if available to you in a future phase, will be much more expensive."

This type of pressure works very well. That's why they use it. I felt the pressure, but my mentality was, "If I can't get exactly what I want, then I'm not going to spend this ridiculous amount of money buying here." At that point I had in my back-pocket Beacon Park that would be opening soon. Little did I know how high the pricing and mello roos would be!  :eek:

WTTCHMN said:
bones said:
zubs said:
All human beings have a tendency to see someone buy something, and then want it too.  It is built into us.  Marketing would be a fool not to exploit it.  Manipulate human nature for your own profit.

Yea I get it. It explains why I see the same bags all over town.  Didn't know it extended to million dollar homes too.  Obviously if priced right with a good floorplan/lot then the homes should draw a lot of interest. But didn't know people actually made buy decisions based on how crowded an "imaginary" wait list may or may not be.

Birkin bags, Tesla cars, Sagewood homes...

Hmm for me it's more Kate spade bags, minivans and motorcourt homes. I must have the wrong friends.  :(

So years ago i was at a party and I noticed a girl that I thought looked ok....then one of my friends said she was hot, and it twisted my mind, taking her to a solid 8 from a 6.  These days I try to understand my human nature and use my brain to adjust it back to what a robot might think.

Reminds me of those long lines to enter clubs.  When you actually enter, it's not that crowded as the long line suggests.  Must be a happening spot since so many people are waiting in line.  Suckers.

zubs said:
So years ago i was at a party and I noticed a girl that I thought looked ok....then one of my friends said she was hot, and it twisted my mind, taking her to a solid 8 from a 6.  These days I try to understand my human nature and use my brain to adjust it back to what a robot might think.

So what is opinion of her? Ok or hot

;)

I don't remember her face.  I just remember thinking how I was easily influenced by what other people think.

bones said:
zubs said:

I don't think the scarcity factor is that difficult to fathom or understand.  People rush their decision if they believe that they may not have a choice soon.  I don't think anyone buy a house because of it, but it hastens their decision on when and which house.

Irvinecommuter said:
bones said:
zubs said:

I don't think the scarcity factor is that difficult to fathom or understand.  People rush their decision if they believe that they may not have a choice soon.  I don't think anyone buy a house because of it, but it hastens their decision on when and which house.

But it's new construction in Irvine. They haven't stopped building since I moved here.  What's scarce?

bones said:
Irvinecommuter said:
bones said:
zubs said:

But it's new construction in Irvine. They haven't stopped building since I moved here.  What's scarce?

Even if it's new construction, RE is still relatively unique.  The model you want...location etc.

bones said:
On the flip side, who cares if there is or isn't a wait list. If you like the house and lot and price, then buy it. If you can, then there was no list or you were first. If you can't buy it, then there was at least a wait list of 1 for that lot. And you move onto the next lot you want. Not sure how a wait list affects your buy or not buy decision.

A builder's sales practice tells me a lot about the other parts of their business.  If they can't be transparent with me from the get-go, how can I trust their superintendent, their inspectors, their warranty staff, their sub-contractors?  It's not about whether or not there's a wait list...the point is if the builder can't be up-front with me about the BASICS, then I won't trust them with the rest.

FWIW, I work in a sales organization, so that's why I put so much scrutiny on this part of the business.  If people don't care, then I'm not going to make people care...just sharing my perspective. :)

I guess I just don't overthink it. I've been denied lots bc ppl were ahead of me. I've been offered lots that I've passed on that presumably went to someone on the list after me. In the end, I ended up with houses I'm happy with. I never once thought someone was out to screw me and didn't spend a ton of time analyzing a wait list. I also never bought a house bc of some salesy tactic. Of course, the transparent process is a better experience.  But that's just me. Obviously I'm in the minority.

bones said:
I guess I just don't overthink it. I've been denied lots bc ppl were ahead of me. I've been offered lots that I've passed on that presumably went to someone on the list after me. In the end, I ended up with houses I'm happy with. I never once thought someone was out to screw me and didn't spend a ton of time analyzing a wait list. I also never bought a house bc of some salesy tactic. Of course, the transparent process is a better experience.  But that's just me. Obviously I'm in the minority.

I think the issue gets complicated when it's something that you want and the price keeping going up.  You end up making a faster decision...it may not be a wrong decision...just rushed.

bones said:

Bones you have a very optimistic view on life, and that's admirable. :)  You're very accepting of circumstances, and adjust your expectations and needs to match what is available, and that is something rare to find these days.

Unfortunately, most people today are the exact opposite.  Some say "knowledge/information is power", but in many circumstances (this being one of them), I believe it actually works against the consumer.  The more information people have, the more paralyzing it can be for the decision process.  Amplify that by the perceived urgency that the sales practices portray, and it's like adding fuel to the fire.  Sales and marketing employees are DIRECTLY rewarded for increasing sales margins/volume/traffic, and the rewards are NOT contingent on ethical or moral techniques.  Prey on ignorance?  Reward.  Take advantage of naivete?  Reward.  Creatively change wording of advertising, terms, conditions, & disclosure so that it reduces buyers' barriers to conversion?  Big reward.

Because of who you are, you are in a unique position to both avoid getting taken advantage of (because you don't fall for the sales tactics), and not care if people use shady sales tactics (because you don't fall for the sales tactics).  And yes, you ARE in the severe minority.  The rest of us either (1) get screwed over and over and are unhappy about it but never do anything about it, (2) get screwed and simply don't know any better (ignorance is bliss), or (3) realize how badly people get screwed and go to TI to post about how badly people are getting screwed. :)

^ that seems like a very wordy, backhanded compliment :)
See - not all sunshine and pancakes here! :)

But this thread reminds me, I have a very lovely black chair with ottoman that needs a new home. It's amazing (!!!!) and so far, 15 people have inquired about it on Craigslist but I'm saving it for a very special TI member. Who wants to come and haul it away from my house.  PM me NOW or it'll be gone.  Won't last through the day!

zubs said:
I don't remember her face.  I just remember thinking how I was easily influenced by what other people think.

Did you drop a pick up line on her? Lol
Or Buy her a drink? (Boba)

bones said:
^ that seems like a very wordy, backhanded compliment :)
See - not all sunshine and pancakes here! :)

But this thread reminds me, I have a very lovely black chair with ottoman that needs a new home. It's amazing (!!!!) and so far, 15 people have inquired about it on Craigslist but I'm saving it for a very special TI member. Who wants to come and haul it away from my house.  PM me NOW or it'll be gone.  Won't last through the day!

Nothing back-handed here. :)  I actually envy you...my life would be so much simpler if I could have your perspective on things. :)

It's one reason why homes that sit on MLS are hard to sell.. "If no one else wants it, there must be something wrong with it"

paperboyNC said:
It's one reason why homes that sit on MLS are hard to sell.. "If no one else wants it, there must be something wrong with it"

Boom.  And why USCTrojanCPA is so successful with his listings...  >:D

Back