The mysterious Priority List

DrTravel

I remember back in the good old days (10-15 years ago) if you were on a priority list you had a number (usually based on a date stamp) and the list was generally public. At every phase release you showed up and either bought or passed when they called your number. If you were not there, you were no longer on the list.  The first one called choose their lot and it was on to the next one. If they sold out before they got to your number, wait until next time. Very transparent and you knew exactly where you stood and could estimate which phase release you might buy in plus which plan(s) others were waiting for.

Nowadays it all very secretive.  I'm on three priority lists and whenever I ask where I'm at, they do not tell me because it is always "top secret".  Now before a phase release, they ask me to list my three top lot choices.  The last phase release had three plan #3 - my preferred choice - but I skipped the phase because of their locations. They didn't sell any of these during the phase release so naturally I would have gotten whatever I picked. Now did everyone else on the list also skip these plans or was I the only one on the entire list. Makes you wonder how exactly they are using their priority list - seems they easily can choose who they want for whatever lot - pretty much help or screw the client based on internal factors. I could be the current #1, but then two new all-cash buyers show up and suddenly I'm #3 and waiting for the next phase. I read where Ellwood said they have 80+ on their priority list. Does anyone believe them? Can they show you any proof? Are they lying? Are they salespersons that will say ANYTHING to make a sale and create false demand (and desirability) for their product?

Does anyone have any first knowledge about how these "priority lists" are actually used. There is an assumption of fairness in having a list, however the application is so mysterious that you wonder why they even have one...or IF they even have one!

I remember watching an episode of Million Dollar Listings LA on Bravo where a listing agent pretended there were other offers to force a potential buyer into making a quick decision.  I think the priority list serves a similar purpose.  Do this experiment:  walk into a sales office and ask how deep is the priority list.  Whatever the sales person says, you say "wow, there are so many on the list I won't even bother" and start walking out.  if the salesperson tries to stop you from leaving, the priority list is probably BS.

When we were looking at Hawthorn in PP (Pulte), I knew I was high on the list (within top 5). We only wanted the last phase and a certain lot. By the time they sold it, we changed our mind, but in the meantime they had multiple phases where homes would go in and out of "sold" and for the most part I probably could have gotten almost any house in the later phases even without being so high.

Stan Pac told me exactly where I was on their list for two different developments and their process was the same (Greenwood) as it was when I bought from them 17 years ago.... they went by the list, regardless if someone was all cash or not (no contingencies at first), drop off the list if you don't say you are waiting but again I think there is no more list of waiting buyers after several phases and during that time many homes have dropped out of being sold at some point.

Depends on builder. 
If you are non contingent and cash buyer, you're always going to have a great shot ahead of whoever is on the list. 

DrTravel said:
I remember back in the good old days (10-15 years ago) if you were on a priority list you had a number (usually based on a date stamp) and the list was generally public. At every phase release you showed up and either bought or passed when they called your number. If you were not there, you were no longer on the list.  The first one called choose their lot and it was on to the next one. If they sold out before they got to your number, wait until next time. Very transparent and you knew exactly where you stood and could estimate which phase release you might buy in plus which plan(s) others were waiting for.

Nowadays it all very secretive.  I'm on three priority lists and whenever I ask where I'm at, they do not tell me because it is always "top secret".  Now before a phase release, they ask me to list my three top lot choices.  The last phase release had three plan #3 - my preferred choice - but I skipped the phase because of their locations. They didn't sell any of these during the phase release so naturally I would have gotten whatever I picked. Now did everyone else on the list also skip these plans or was I the only one on the entire list. Makes you wonder how exactly they are using their priority list - seems they easily can choose who they want for whatever lot - pretty much help or screw the client based on internal factors. I could be the current #1, but then two new all-cash buyers show up and suddenly I'm #3 and waiting for the next phase. I read where Ellwood said they have 80+ on their priority list. Does anyone believe them? Can they show you any proof? Are they lying? Are they salespersons that will say ANYTHING to make a sale and create false demand (and desirability) for their product?

Does anyone have any first knowledge about how these "priority lists" are actually used. There is an assumption of fairness in having a list, however the application is so mysterious that you wonder why they even have one...or IF they even have one!

Arcadia in stonegate used the technique you described 2 years ago. You show up at phase release, they call names out loud and you have to pass or choose a lot in front of the group. Very transparent. They stopped doing it when people stopped showing up and when the people that did show up kept passing.

Shea in sagewood also used this same technique in PP.  It was all very transparent and I believe they used it for most if not all phase releases.

Shea also did some tracts this way in baker ranch IIRC. But you're right, most builders opt to be mysterious.  For tracts that have not much demand, it's no biggie but for tracts that do, it can be kinda annoying to try and figure out where you stand.

It's an annoying process. We just completed it, declining lots in every phase from January through May. As zubs suggests, take little you're told as truth, but be as kind and grateful as possible when declining lots. I also visited on a nearly weekly basis for five months reminding them that I was eager and prepared to buy the right lot when it's offered (decent yard + end of cul-de-sac). I think this helps because there appear to be no rules. So, the # 1 goal on my part was to make them like me.

DrTravel said:
Nowadays it all very secretive.  I'm on three priority lists and whenever I ask where I'm at, they do not tell me because it is always "top secret".

Sounds like you just encounter the infamous I-Pac priority list experience. :)

Maybe the particular builder you encounter is not IP but from what I experience, IP has the most secretive, non-transparent priority list. 

What's interesting at Ellwood is that at the pre grand opening event for the VIP buyers it was a first-come, first-serve with the builder.  Basically you went to go see the model and then go back to the sales office and tell them which lot you wanted (if it was still available)...they didn't go off any list in terms of ranking VIP buyers.  That changed when after the grand opening and now they have a list that they go off from.  It just depends on the builder. 

lnc said:
Sounds like you just encounter the infamous I-Pac priority list experience. :)

Maybe the particular builder you encounter is not IP but from what I experience, IP has the most secretive, non-transparent priority list.

IPAC and ONQ were the most horrific experience I have ever had for any real estate process.  EVER.  I don't plan on being a customer...EVER.

EVER. :)

It's no longer a priority.  Ipac looks at your financials and hand picks their own priority. 

AW said:
It's no longer a priority.  Ipac looks at your financials and hand picks their own priority.

Agreed.  It would save a lot of people a lot of headache if they would simply admit to it instead of hiding behind a veil of ambiguity.

gasman said:
AW said:

Agreed.  It would save a lot of people a lot of headache if they would simply admit to it instead of hiding behind a veil of ambiguity.

Yes, but the builders lose their advantage.  Knowledge is power and if the list is secret they have all the power.  It wouldnt be an issue to the builders if there was a line of people wanting to buy homes.  If one person doesnt want to buy a lot, just move on to the next buyer. 
However if there is no buyer,  keeping these lists a secret is one way to create a artificial perceived demand, thus creating a greater sense of urgency to buy.
Its simply a mind game.  Keep the buyers guessing and they may make a move based on fear and the unknown...  How many times have people here experienced a salesman say "this is the last one" "dont wait or you might not be able to buy it later" "everyone wants it, so buy it now" , etc, etc, etc.  Its the same idea.  A "list" implies a demand and without knowing the magnitude of demand, a buyer may assume more competition than reality and thus affecting buying behavior.  Its human nature to which most of us succumb to and only a few can resist...

On the flip side, who cares if there is or isn't a wait list. If you like the house and lot and price, then buy it. If you can, then there was no list or you were first. If you can't buy it, then there was at least a wait list of 1 for that lot. And you move onto the next lot you want. Not sure how a wait list affects your buy or not buy decision. 

It's the Christmas tree syndrome.  You're paralyzed with indecision and not sure if you really want it until someone else comes by, picks it up and starts admiring it.  All of sudden, it's mine - I was looking at it first!

Sold. 

WTTCHMN said:
It's the Christmas tree syndrome.  You're paralyzed with indecision and not sure if you really want it until someone else comes by, picks it up and starts admiring it.  All of sudden, it's mine - I was looking at it first!

Sold. 

So people buy houses bc other people express interest?  That's really freaking dumb.

bones said:
WTTCHMN said:

Sold. 

So people buy houses bc other people express interest?  That's really freaking dumb.

Herd mentality.  Sheeple are not that intelligent.

All human beings have a tendency to see someone buy something, and then want it too.  It is built into us.  Marketing would be a fool not to exploit it.  Manipulate human nature for your own profit.

zubs said:
All human beings have a tendency to see someone buy something, and then want it too.  It is built into us.  Marketing would be a fool not to exploit it.  Manipulate human nature for your own profit.

Yea I get it. It explains why I see the same bags all over town.  Didn't know it extended to million dollar homes too.  Obviously if priced right with a good floorplan/lot then the homes should draw a lot of interest. But didn't know people actually made buy decisions based on how crowded an "imaginary" wait list may or may not be.

Back