The Meadows, Lake Forest by Toll Brothers

Irvine is overrated.

many people also agree with me as well lol.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but why are you on TalkIrvine if you hate this city? Do you spend time at Spectrum Los Olivos Whole Foods, or the Costco in Irvine, I assume you still spend a lot of time in Irvine even if it's overrated. You sound bitter that you're priced out since all you do on this forum is complain about Irvine and it's pricing. If I was looking to buy today, I would be priced out too, but I wouldn't talk shit about the city.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but why are you on TalkIrvine if you hate this city? Do you spend time at Spectrum Los Olivos Whole Foods, or the Costco in Irvine, I assume you still spend a lot of time in Irvine even if it's overrated. You sound bitter that you're priced out since all you do on this forum is complain about Irvine and it's pricing. If I was looking to buy today, I would be priced out too, but I wouldn't talk shit about the city.
I’ve been critical about communities in LF/Tustin as well not only Irvine. 🙂

I think it’s always beneficial to hear a contrary opinion. Sure, one might not agree. But that information is always useful for a potential buyer.

Lastly, what kind of question is that? Why is one on TI? Are we trying to only have Irvine supporters on this forum and cancel out the non-Irvine supporters? Sounds like we got some folks here going against our first amendment.

Last edited:
I’ve been critical about communities in LF/Tustin as well not only Irvine. 🙂

I think it’s always beneficial to hear a contrary opinion. Sure, one might not agree. But that information is always useful for a potential buyer.

Lastly, what kind of question is that? Why is one on TI? Are we trying to only have Irvine supporters on this forum and cancel out the non-Irvine supporters? Sounds like we got some folks here going against our first amendment.
All you do is complain about Irvine, which is why I'm asking, you believe it's overpriced and overrated. If you don't like LF/Tustin, why are you in OC? Find a job else where and where you want to be?

You remind me of those on car forums who hate a certain brand or model, but still on that same forum complaining in all the posts.

All you do is complain about Irvine, which is why I'm asking, you believe it's overpriced and overrated. If you don't like LF/Tustin, why are you in OC? Find a job else where and where you want to be?

You remind me of those on car forums who hate a certain brand or model, but still on that same forum complaining in all the posts.
hate != constructive criticism.

Also, it shouldn't matter whether someone likes or doesn't like Irvine on TI. As you said on your previous post, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Last time I checked, it's called talk irvine, not irvine lovers.

Last edited:
there's always a more expensive city. your point is?
I'm not in the Meadows, I'm in Baker Ranch. My point is, for an equivalent lot size and sq footage in a ~5 year old home it would cost me at least an extra 600k at minimum. Then again, I don't even know how many non view lots around 4500 sq ft there are even in lots of the newer builds.

If 600k isn't that big of a deal to someone, they should definitely buy where it's most convenient and Irvine is a great choice. Given I'm ~7 minutes from the Irvine Spectrum/Costco, I feel like I got a lot of the benefits of living in Irvine (minus the schools), for a lot less money.

I'll probably spend some of that extra money on private school at some point, but it's still worth it to me. Finally, because of the difference in price, I notice a lot more young families in Lake Forest than the newer Irvine builds.

I have a friend who moved from Baker Ranch and bought a huge house in Orchard Hills, and one thing me misses about Foothill Ranch are the community events and number of small kids. He says his neighborhood, while it has some kids, is a lot less family friendly in general.

I'm not in the Meadows, I'm in Baker Ranch. My point is, for an equivalent lot size and sq footage in a ~5 year old home it would cost me at least an extra 600k at minimum. Then again, I don't even know how many non view lots around 4500 sq ft there are even in lots of the newer builds.

If 600k isn't that big of a deal to someone, they should definitely buy where it's most convenient and Irvine is a great choice. Given I'm ~7 minutes from the Irvine Spectrum/Costco, I feel like I got a lot of the benefits of living in Irvine (minus the schools), for a lot less money.

I'll probably spend some of that extra money on private school at some point, but it's still worth it to me. Finally, because of the difference in price, I notice a lot more young families in Lake Forest than the newer Irvine builds.

I have a friend who moved from Baker Ranch and bought a huge house in Orchard Hills, and one thing me misses about Foothill Ranch are the community events and number of small kids. He says his neighborhood, while it has some kids, is a lot less family friendly in general.
The problem is the extra $600k you will recoup when you sell, but not the private school tuitions. The more kids you have, the more money saved.
But you are right, young family with kids are being priced out of Irvine

many people also agree with me as well lol.
Count me in but for me the overpriced areas of Irvine are restricted to the new builds north of 5. I don’t find new builds attractive…cookie cutter floor plans and tiny lots.
Personally if I have to stay in Orange County it will still be Irvine (dream house and location is similar to USC’s) but fortunately where I am I don’t miss Irvine at all..similar school ratings and climate but I get way more for the house and way less congested, way more things near by to do on the weekends too.

I agree that the cheaper and smaller homes tend to have younger families. This is true for Hillside/Bluffs compared to Highland. And I noticed that the already built Azul and Cielo homes barely have any young kids.

One thing that I need to point out, though, is that you may not actually save money living in LF instead of Irvine. You probably have plans to move to a bigger house later on. At that point, Irvine will most likely appreciate more than LF. So, you end up paying more money on private school while making less on selling your house.

This is a good point. If you have little kids, LF is great. But once your kids get to middle school/high school, the schools are…. lacking. Private school is an option but what are the options close to Lake Forest? St John’s in RSM? St Mary’s in Aliso Viejo? St. Margaret’s or Fairmont SJC? All $25k+ a year for middle school. Times 2 or 3 kids. Not ideal either. But of course, you don’t have to care about schools or may think LF schools are fine. Many do.

This is a good point. If you have little kids, LF is great. But once your kids get to middle school/high school, the schools are…. lacking. Private school is an option but what are the options close to Lake Forest? St John’s in RSM? St Mary’s in Aliso Viejo? St. Margaret’s or Fairmont SJC? All $25k+ a year for middle school. Times 2 or 3 kids. Not ideal either. But of course, you don’t have to care about schools or may think LF schools are fine. Many do.
The problem is you CAN'T not care about schools when it seems like space is lacking. On the other hand, with enough parents caring enough to send their kids to private schools, space may open up for your kids. 😂

El Toro High is actually competitive academically and LF in general has seen a demographic upgrade as Irvine pricing has risen. The key is to pay some $$$ and get a private college counselor engaged freshman year. Your kid will get in to more good colleges if they shine at ET vs an Irvine school given the Asian "redlining" prevalent in college admissions as ET isn't known as a predominatly Asian high school. Plus, the only OC private school worthy of the tuition is Sage Hill and demand is so high your kid likely won't get in unless they're a stud athlete or have some other unique quality like being Kobe's daughter (which got her into USC as well). OC sucks for private school quality. There's no Pasadena Poly or Harvard Westlake or Westridge or Webb or Louisville or Chadwick in OC.

Irvine pricing is inflated by FCB demand, but that will subside as all bubbles do, and then the LF discount will pay off in the long run.

Lake Forest has food choices that don't exist in Irvine. I'm in that area probably weekly but not enough for me to live there. :)
They have a few things we're missing, but overall South County has a really lackluster food scene. It seems to be getting better little by little.

Back