The Meadows, Lake Forest by Toll Brothers

Lake Forest has food choices that don't exist in Irvine. I'm in that area probably weekly but not enough for me to live there. :)
I like it because of the food options, lack of pretension and convenience. Great bar scene at the Italian spot that replaced Peppino's, and Uoko is authentic Japanese food that has been there since the 80s. El Toro Meat Market is a nice option as well. Big fan of LF.

Off the top of my head... Irvine doesn't have very good (and inexpensive):

Mexican
Italian
Japanese

For those 3 types, I go to Tustin or South County.

I actually don't know what Irvine excels at but maybe because I don't eat that food?

El Toro High is actually competitive academically and LF in general has seen a demographic upgrade as Irvine pricing has risen. The key is to pay some $$$ and get a private college counselor engaged freshman year. Your kid will get in to more good colleges if they shine at ET vs an Irvine school given the Asian "redlining" prevalent in college admissions as ET isn't known as a predominatly Asian high school. Plus, the only OC private school worthy of the tuition is Sage Hill and demand is so high your kid likely won't get in unless they're a stud athlete or have some other unique quality like being Kobe's daughter (which got her into USC as well). OC sucks for private school quality. There's no Pasadena Poly or Harvard Westlake or Westridge or Webb or Louisville or Chadwick in OC.

Irvine pricing is inflated by FCB demand, but that will subside as all bubbles do, and then the LF discount will pay off in the long run.

FCB has been here for 10+ years now? and some have been saying it's going away for the past few years and it hasn't happened, so we know Irvine has higher pricing b/c of them, I don't think anyone is disputing that fact and that there are a lot of cash buyers in Irvine (not solely FCB). I also believe it's here to stay for the foreseeable future. Current buyers should know that by looking at housing prices in Irvine and outside of Irvine, there's an Irvine premium and it's their money to spend on that premium if they choose to.

PS/OH will be finished in the next 3-4 years if not sooner? GP homes that don't zone to IUSD I won't count here as they will likely still be building GP out that way. Resale will be the only way to go, so my guess is there will be a bump in prices when the supply goes down even further and only resale is available.

Bones is way more knowledgeable about private schools and public schools than I am, so I can't add much there. If someone wants their kid in a great college, send them to a horrible school district for high school, that's a better bet than IUSD. Have them shine and do well there, just be sure they don't fall into the wrong crowds, it's been discussed here in the past.

Mexican
Italian
Japanese

I actually don't know what Irvine excels at but maybe because I don't eat that food?

I agree here, places close by for convenience and a few go to spots the kids like. We go out of Irvine for food a decent amount on weekends.

What's it missing?

Is there good Chinese food in south county?
The entire OC really lacks Cantonese food, but yeah, LF has some good Pho places, which Irvine lacks.

There used to be a few more places, but the Fake Sam Woo on Walnut/Jeffrey closed as well as the Sam Woo BBQ in the 99 Ranch plaza on Culver. I head out to the 626 area for Cantonese food, since my parents are in the LA area.

FCB has been here for 10+ years now? and some have been saying it's going away for the past few years and it hasn't happened, so we know Irvine has higher pricing b/c of them, I don't think anyone is disputing that fact and that there are a lot of cash buyers in Irvine (not solely FCB). I also believe it's here to stay for the foreseeable future. Current buyers should know that by looking at housing prices in Irvine and outside of Irvine, there's an Irvine premium and it's their money to spend on that premium if they choose to.
Over 15 years on TI/IHB.

I think one of the big factors for Irvine is new housing has always been available. Once all the new homes are gone... we will see but Newport is still high.

And everyone things by FCB it's mainly Chinese... there is money coming from non-Chinese too.

Is there good Chinese food in south county?

There used to be a few more places, but the Fake Sam Woo on Walnut/Jeffrey closed as well as the Sam Woo BBQ in the 99 Ranch plaza on Culver. I head out to the 626 area for Cantonese food, since my parents are in the LA area.
Yeah, it's unfortunate that Sam Woo BBQ closed down. We went there once after checking out the construction of our Bluffs home and were happy that there was something we liked. And then they closed it down.

Our only options now are Chino Hills and Rowland Heights.

Mexican
Italian
Japanese

I meant what's missing in SC - but agree with the above. No authentic Japanese in Irvine but not too many Japanese either.
My favorite SC Italian is Villa Roma. Nothing like it in Irvine.
Is Los Primos no longer in the Heritage Plaza? back in the day that was pretty good.

Franks BBQ and Chinese Cuisine recently opened in LF. Heard it’s pretty good if you’re looking for authentic Cantonese cuisine. Can’t wait to check it out: https://yelp.to/pgxpq9BdXg
I saw momopi's post in the Food and Dining sub forum and the Yelp reviews seem good, so we tried it this weekend. We bought the roast duck, soy sauce chicken, whitecut chicken, and beef chow fun. We got there around noon, so the roast pork wasn't available yet. I have to say that the food was disappointing.

My wife said that the both chicken dishes were bland. My son said the same thing about the roast duck. My wife also said that the chow fun was bland. I added chili sauce as I always do, so there was some taste. However, the chow fun seems more like the fast food type rather than freshly stirred fried. There's no wok flavor. My wife said she's not going back.

I meant what's missing in SC - but agree with the above. No authentic Japanese in Irvine but not too many Japanese either.
Is Los Primos no longer in the Heritage Plaza? back in the day that was pretty good.
I was actually just responding to what Irvine doesn't have.

As for what's missing in SC... Korean BBQ is the first thing that comes to mind. But I think that will change soon. A few of the Irvine Persian/Mediterranean places have moved to SC but SC had some already.

I prefer Classic Chinese Restaurant in Laguna Hills over any of the Chinese places in Irvine... but I have a more Americanized preference when it comes to Asian food (I actually like Panda, Chopstix and Peiwei).

I like Villa Roma too but for Italian in SC I go to either Tutto Familglia, Delucisa (previously Peppinos), Peppinos (still exists) or Mangia Benne.

For Mexican... I'll hit up Rodrigos (also in Tustin), Casa Franco, Flamingos or for real rolled tacos... Albertacos between Crown Valley and Avery or Reynaldo's off La Paz.

Irvine is missing a good Mongolan BBQ... we could trade a hotpot/shabu for that.:)

I saw momopi's post in the Food and Dining sub forum and the Yelp reviews seem good, so we tried it this weekend. We bought the roast duck, soy sauce chicken, whitecut chicken, and beef chow fun. We got there around noon, so the roast pork wasn't available yet. I have to say that the food was disappointing.

My wife said that the both chicken dishes were bland. My son said the same thing about the roast duck. My wife also said that the chow fun was bland. I added chili sauce as I always do, so there was some taste. However, the chow fun seems more like the fast food type rather than freshly stirred fried. There's no wok flavor. My wife said she's not going back.
Agree. Franks is… not good. Someone recommended it to me in December when I needed Cantonese style meats. It’s also in that congested area on el toro right next to the 5 fwy on ramp. Pass all around.

El Toro High is actually competitive academically and LF in general has seen a demographic upgrade as Irvine pricing has risen. The key is to pay some $$$ and get a private college counselor engaged freshman year. Your kid will get in to more good colleges if they shine at ET vs an Irvine school given the Asian "redlining" prevalent in college admissions as ET isn't known as a predominatly Asian high school. Plus, the only OC private school worthy of the tuition is Sage Hill and demand is so high your kid likely won't get in unless they're a stud athlete or have some other unique quality like being Kobe's daughter (which got her into USC as well). OC sucks for private school quality. There's no Pasadena Poly or Harvard Westlake or Westridge or Webb or Louisville or Chadwick in OC.

Irvine pricing is inflated by FCB demand, but that will subside as all bubbles do, and then the LF discount will pay off in the long run.
I mean… I don’t think ET is academically competitive but YMMV. I don’t want to rehash this over and over again so I’ll simply state that the stats don’t back it up - just look at the publicly available UC admit data. The “hire an admissions counselor” freshman year advice is also everywhere. Everyone does this. I guess if you hire a 3 dollar sign counselor versus a one or two dollar one, you may get slightly better advice. But what are these “counselors” telling your kid that is going to be so different and special than what every other “counselor” is telling their client roster filled with hundreds of kids.

I do agree that the new families may raise the level of ET in the long run.

Taiko and Fukada come to mind for Irvine Japanese.

South County might have a variety of random places, but most of them are mediocre IMO. I meant they seem to be getting better options as far as quality goes, but their restaurants are nothing to write home about as a whole. Another thing that's missing until you get to San Clemente is a variety of good coffee shops. SC also has very meh tea shops.

What I've noticed about a lot of restaurants in South County is that people haven't had anything to compare to so they just think it's good or "authentic". I honestly prefer to venture outside of Irvine for good food anyway, but I feel like we have a lot of places that are still good.

By the way, if you want great Italian, you should try Centro/Storico in Old Town Tustin. Really really good. Roma d'Italia is nearby too if you want more of an Americanized but good Italian restaurant.

Last edited:
Bummer to hear that Frank's BBQ doesn't seem to be that good. This continues to fit the narrative that South OC leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to food options. That said, if it's within a 30 minute driving radius, that is time well spent for good food.

I agree that the cheaper and smaller homes tend to have younger families. This is true for Hillside/Bluffs compared to Highland. And I noticed that the already built Azul and Cielo homes barely have any young kids.

One thing that I need to point out, though, is that you may not actually save money living in LF instead of Irvine. You probably have plans to move to a bigger house later on. At that point, Irvine will most likely appreciate more than LF. So, you end up paying more money on private school while making less on selling your house.

Eh, I agree that *if* I had an extra 600k, I could have eventually recouped it, but I didn't at the time I bought a few years ago heh.

So it was the choice of a condo in Irvine or a four bedroom, decently upgraded 2900 sq ft Baker Ranch SFR on a nice sized lot. I'm not sure % wise I'll lose out too much compared to what I could have gotten, given that good size lot SFRs usually appreciate a bit better than condos, despite not having the zipcode.

As for schooling, yeah eventually I'll have to figure that out. I'm less worried about elementary school, but I'll have to research jr. high and high school. I've heard good things about Crean Lutheran which isn't too far.

Bummer to hear that Frank's BBQ doesn't seem to be that good. This continues to fit the narrative that South OC leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to food options. That said, if it's within a 30 minute driving radius, that is time well spent for good food.
I would say that give it a try anyway. Many people on Yelp seem to like it, so maybe you'll like it too. Different people have different tastes.

Back