The death of an internet forum

[quote author="SoCal78"]I don't own the people but I do own the domain and there are responsibilities that come with that. Our host, not me, does unilaterally decide what is and isn't acceptable. Please refer to the terms agreed upon when registering. With as far as the limits have been pushed in the past, I do not wish to log on one day and see the board deleted as has happened to others, so that is one concern. Another is the welcoming aspect. IHB was not known for being very welcoming to new people. I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to see that element improve on a community site, so that's another reason we need to establish and respect boundaries.[/quote]

Truthfully, the domain can be pointed anywhere, it is not tied to this software. If the TOS of these particular forums don't meet the needs of the community, the simplest answer is to buy the software (which I have volunteered to do... at least a dozen times) and set-up a server where we, as a community, set the standards rather than leave ourselves vulnerable to censorship and deletion. We just got kicked out of one place, why would we make it possible to happen twice? As a temporary shelter, they work fine, but their design is limiting and the TOS are unusually restrictive... they don't make sense for a permanent home. Does it mean reregistering and making another move? Yeah, unfortunately. But the benefits are autonomy, site security, and community input on the choices. Benefits not enjoyed here.

[quote author="jumpcut"]I agree with most everything said above but I'd really like to see the local community focus developed. There are tons of forums out there to discuss national concerns, but this is the only forum I can think of to discuss local Irvine issues.

Having said that (as Larry David might say), I wouldn't want to restrict any topics that someone might bring up.[/quote]

Both you and IHO have made the same point, and maybe I didn't emphasize it enough. Irvine is the central theme, but not just the price of houses as with IHB. Irvine dining, Irvine bike trails, Irvine communities and HOAs, etc. Irvine has always been the point of the community and that should not change, even if the focus broadened a bit. Any move forward, I think, should be along those lines.

[quote author="SoCal78"] IHB was not known for being very welcoming to new people. I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to see that element improve on a community site, so that's another reason we need to establish and respect boundaries.[/quote]

What if the newbies are morons? The idiot doing the Fullerton summer vacation rentals in that gated community comes to mind. Even if they weren't trolling it was the single dumbest idea I saw all year.

Maybe there's a nice way to tell somebody they are an idiot and I should learn that skill.

Or what about Jhammonds who was going out of his way to spam and troll the politics forum strictly for his own entertainment value?

Or Newport Skipper or Janet? What do you do with people who are just crazy?

I'm bringing this up now so we can figure out what the SOP is when it happens again (and it will). Zovall never wanted to show guts and nip it in the bud. Can any of us say either he or the community was better served by his inaction?

[quote author="a"]
[quote author="jumpcut"]I agree with most everything said above but I'd really like to see the local community focus developed. There are tons of forums out there to discuss national concerns, but this is the only forum I can think of to discuss local Irvine issues.

Having said that (as Larry David might say), I wouldn't want to restrict any topics that someone might bring up.[/quote]

Both you and IHO have made the same point, and maybe I didn't emphasize it enough. Irvine is the central theme, but not just the price of houses as with IHB. Irvine dining, Irvine bike trails, Irvine communities and HOAs, etc. Irvine has always been the point of the community and that should not change, even if the focus broadened a bit. Any move forward, I think, should be along those lines.[/quote]
Ahh... I guess I did lose that somewhere because that's pretty much what SoCal had in mind for TalkIrvine. Not just Real Estate but all stuff Irvine... and that doesn't mean Irvine exclusively... if Momo finds a good Pho stop in say... Seattle... post the review.

Your post seemed to me like you didn't want it to be Irvine themed either... so I apologize if I misunderstood.

I think you and SoCal have the same vision and maybe it's just this medium that is causing the disconnect.

And welcome back... BTW... I agree with others that your presence is a big part of our community... even if you do get "grouchy".

@novas: I actually think the way you respond is fine. There will be other members who will temper your Big Meaniness so we should let the community handle it naturally.

Like winex said... trolls will get the hint (and despite popular culture... I actually like feeding trolls... it exercises my patience).

[quote author="irvinehomeowner"]And welcome back... BTW... I agree with others that your presence is a big part of our community... even if you do get "grouchy".[/quote]

Everyone has an Oscar inside them <!-- s;) -->;)<!-- s;) -->

Thanks for the welcome. I think we all want good things, the discussion is really "Ok, so now what do we do?".

[quote author="SoCal78"]
I don't own the people but I do own the domain and there are responsibilities that come with that. Our host, not me, does unilaterally decide what is and isn't acceptable. Please refer to the terms agreed upon when registering. With as far as the limits have been pushed in the past, I do not wish to log on one day and see the board deleted as has happened to others, so that is one concern. Another is the welcoming aspect. IHB was not known for being very welcoming to new people. I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to see that element improve on a community site, so that's another reason we need to establish and respect boundaries.[/quote]

1) It appears that the "clients" have a requirement, and the current implementation may not allow for the requirement to be met. I view outright deletion as well as not being able to foster a conversation and community in our own way as not meeting the requirement. In this sort of case I question the implementation plan. Does a choice exist that will allow the requirements to be met? Yes? I will quote myself here: "Then suck it up and do it right the first time. If you need help, you know where to find me."

2) I think newcomers were not welcomed because of the nature of the focus on the old IHB. It was binary. Buy a house or don't buy a house. Pick a side and then fight about it. If folks on the new site are just chatting about Irvine and the surrounding communities I think it naturally will be more welcoming. Perhaps less "juicy", but more welcoming.

Central theme: Irvine (check)

Posts on things other than housing but have housing posts (check)

Posts on areas/happenings/housing outside of Irvine (check)

Have a willing group of writers (check)

Be more welcoming to newbies (check)

Limited moderation to spam and trolls, but see above (check)

Step 1: Find out if WordPress can link the comments to a thread in the forums. And find out if ProBoards will allow that.

Step 2: Find out where/who has the best deal on hosting. (I need to ask someone who is on vacation right now about this).

Step 3: Get domain name and download WordPress. Set up accounts for bloggers.

Step 4: Start blogging.

Step 5: Everyone will be happy again.

[quote author="a"]

Both you and IHO have made the same point, and maybe I didn't emphasize it enough. Irvine is the central theme, but not just the price of houses as with IHB. Irvine dining, Irvine bike trails, Irvine communities and HOAs, etc. Irvine has always been the point of the community and that should not change, even if the focus broadened a bit. Any move forward, I think, should be along those lines.[/quote]

aren't you in seattle? I really beg to differ about Irvine being the point. In fact, if you look at the top posters, how many of them were in Irvine? BK, Tmare, no_vas, graph, cayci, Eval, Freedom, Trojan man, etc..... none of them from Irvine and none of them with any special love for Irvine.

In fact, one of the things that I really hope I'm not giving up is Freedom's monthly update on CM. He puts a lot of time and energy into putting those figures togehter for us each month and I know that I am not the only one who eagerly clicks on his monthly update.

[quote author="steppingup"]aren't you in seattle? I really beg to differ about Irvine being the point. In fact, if you look at the top posters, how many of them were in Irvine? BK, Tmare, no_vas, graph, cayci, Eval, Freedom, Trojan man, etc..... none of them from Irvine and none of them with any special love for Irvine.

In fact, one of the things that I really hope I'm not giving up is Freedom's monthly update on CM. He puts a lot of time and energy into putting those figures togehter for us each month and I know that I am not the only one who eagerly clicks on his monthly update. [/quote]

I am indeed, although I did my time in the IUSD earlier in life. Yes, the forums were filled with people and posts away from Irvine, but the blog, the thing that most of us found first, was always Irvine-centric. It's become the standard by which other cities are measured, at least for the people who read the blog and then the forums.

I agree that a broader focus is needed, but the name of the domain is talkirvine. Irvine as a theme would be a touchstone, not a limit.

[quote author="steppingup"]In fact, one of the things that I really hope I'm not giving up is Freedom's monthly update on CM. He puts a lot of time and energy into putting those figures togehter for us each month and I know that I am not the only one who eagerly clicks on his monthly update. [/quote]

I was thinking that Freedom should do a monthly blog post with that data. Either that, or I could post his info. Of course, give him proper credit.

[quote author="caycifish"]
[quote author="SoCal78"]
I don't own the people but I do own the domain and there are responsibilities that come with that. Our host, not me, does unilaterally decide what is and isn't acceptable. Please refer to the terms agreed upon when registering. With as far as the limits have been pushed in the past, I do not wish to log on one day and see the board deleted as has happened to others, so that is one concern. Another is the welcoming aspect. IHB was not known for being very welcoming to new people. I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to see that element improve on a community site, so that's another reason we need to establish and respect boundaries.[/quote]

1) It appears that the "clients" have a requirement, and the current implementation may not allow for the requirement to be met. I view outright deletion as well as not being able to foster a conversation and community in our own way as not meeting the requirement. In this sort of case I question the implementation plan. Does a choice exist that will allow the requirements to be met? Yes? I will quote myself here: "Then suck it up and do it right the first time. If you need help, you know where to find me."

2) I think newcomers were not welcomed because of the nature of the focus on the old IHB. It was binary. Buy a house or don't buy a house. Pick a side and then fight about it. If folks on the new site are just chatting about Irvine and the surrounding communities I think it naturally will be more welcoming. Perhaps less "juicy", but more welcoming.[/quote]

OMG, the IHB was so awful to newbies. For the life of me I can't figure out how or why I stayed after the intial abuse. Honestly, I think it was Freedom (bear of bears) who encouraged me to stay, but I remember early on thinking you all at that time were really a bunch of egotistical jerks. and then I saw posts by Eval and I was hooked.

I've noticed lurkers coming out of the closet and posting here and I think it's because this feels safer. A big hat tip to SoCal for creating an environment where people are not only not intimidated to post, but are encouraged to do so. Idiots will come, but I think the benefits of this cost will far override the costs because smart or interestig or both will post here where they were not inclined to on the old board.

For me, I felt part partially in the club at the old forum, but only after thick skin led me to continue to participate. I highly suspect that this new forum will be a lot more inclusive and welcoming and this is largely due to not only the community wanting to stay together, but because also because the architect (SoCal) embraces humanity. We have the opportunity now, much more so than before, to be an even better community forum.

[quote author="SoCal78"]

SoCal78,

To the welcoming issue above, look at the childish but verbose few that have dominated the finally days of the IHB forums with trash. They are so selfish and inconsiderate they squash any meaningful discourse, now and in the past, for their own insistent need to be seen and heard.

I believe these same people are one reason the forums are being closed because new members, ideas, and viewpoints were criticized and attacked at every opportunity. The result of this type of action is new and old members simply leave and you are left with the posts from the same few that drove everyone else away.

I appreciate what you are trying to do here with this new site, but history has a way of repeating itself?

My 2c

[quote author="graphrix"]I was thinking that Freedom should do a monthly blog post with that data. Either that, or I could post his info. Of course, give him proper credit.[/quote]

I second that. We have so many awesome people here... Momopi could do reviews, Graph's already commited to a post a week, and there are a ton of people who can post on politics (both sides, local and national), people who can post on finance and mortgage, people who can cover wine and art and.... the list is endless. With guest posts and a broader outlook, we could grow into more than the IHB ever contemplated, enough to be self-supporting, I would hope. I just seems like we should at least try.

Ok, I'm lost here and don't know where to put to put this, but how in the world can I, after only 5 posts, already have negative karma? I didn't say anything controversial and if this is truly karma the fact that I used my first exalt on Winex should give me some good karma!

[quote author="a"]
[quote author="steppingup"]aren't you in seattle? I really beg to differ about Irvine being the point. In fact, if you look at the top posters, how many of them were in Irvine? BK, Tmare, no_vas, graph, cayci, Eval, Freedom, Trojan man, etc..... none of them from Irvine and none of them with any special love for Irvine.

In fact, one of the things that I really hope I'm not giving up is Freedom's monthly update on CM. He puts a lot of time and energy into putting those figures togehter for us each month and I know that I am not the only one who eagerly clicks on his monthly update. [/quote]

I am indeed, although I did my time in the IUSD earlier in life. Yes, the forums were filled with people and posts away from Irvine, but the blog, the thing that most of us found first, was always Irvine-centric. It's become the standard by which other cities are measured, at least for the people who read the blog and then the forums.

I agree that a broader focus is needed, but the name of the domain is talkirvine. Irvine as a theme would be a touchstone, not a limit.[/quote]

If I could exalt, I would. Can I get a HELOC to buy more exalating privelages? I don't have much equity because we bought in '08, but some extra line of credit to exalt would be gratefully appreciated if the interest rate were low

You could put the Software/Database and the Domain anywhere you wanted in just a few hours if you own a license for the software. Have a static IP and a server to handle the traffic.
It might take a day for the DNS to catch up. Thats no big deal whatsoever. I am sure Nude could do it and I would help if you need it.

If you guys decide to host this yourselves on a Home or Private Server let me know. I would be willing to donate all the high speed storage you could ever need for the server.

[quote author="bltserv"]You could put the Software/Database and the Domain anywhere you wanted in just a few hours if you own a license for the software. Have a static IP and a server to handle the traffic.
It might take a day for the DNS to catch up. Thats no big deal whatsoever. I am sure Nude could do it and I would help if you need it.

If you guys decide to host this yourselves on a Home or Private Server let me know. I would be willing to donate all the high speed storage you could ever need for the server. [/quote]

Despite our differences, you have a ton of my respect for that offer. I'll buy the licences, although graph has a sick obsession with wordpress, if that is they way people want to go. Between you and cayci, and anyone else with the tech experience, I think the tech section is covered <!-- s;) -->;)<!-- s;) -->

[quote author="steppingup"]Ok, I'm lost here and don't know where to put to put this, but how in the world can I, after only 5 posts, already have negative karma? I didn't say anything controversial and if this is truly karma the fact that I used my first exalt on Winex should give me some good karma! [/quote]

I just saw that and wondered the same thing. I thought "what did she say to upset someone?"

Back