Tesla

SubSolar said:
ps9 said:
@Sub

Did you debate at all when ordering your Tesla?  For a similar price we can get a nicely equipped 5 series, GS, or Q70.

No, like many Tesla owners, it's way more than I ever thought I would ever spend on a car. I was looking at a Fusion Energi or Volt but too small, trunk doesn't have enough room for a stroller.

I was never into luxury cars and frankly if you're going to spend $40-50k+ on a car, I don't see why you wouldn't get a Tesla. The other luxury cars don't get you a carpool lane sticker, don't get you $10k in rebates, don't save you on gas, don't give you an 8 year, unlimited mile warranty on the expensive parts, don't get you the safest car ever built or optional 7 seats. You'll still need to do maintenance like oil changes, spark plugs, transmission fluid, etc, you won't have as much acceleration off the line (instant torque), won't get the large touchscreen and autopilot and summon plus future updates.

I'm not alone, it looks like others are making the same choice when comparing:
http://cleantechnica.com/2016/01/15/1-large-luxury-car-in-us-tesla-model-s-2015-sales-comparison/

You'll probably end up spending 70-80K on the Tesla after all the upgrades.  Plus,  most luxury car owners don't own them more than 3 or 4 years.. so the warranty is meh. 

jmoney74 said:
SubSolar said:
ps9 said:
@Sub

Did you debate at all when ordering your Tesla?  For a similar price we can get a nicely equipped 5 series, GS, or Q70.

No, like many Tesla owners, it's way more than I ever thought I would ever spend on a car. I was looking at a Fusion Energi or Volt but too small, trunk doesn't have enough room for a stroller.

I was never into luxury cars and frankly if you're going to spend $40-50k+ on a car, I don't see why you wouldn't get a Tesla. The other luxury cars don't get you a carpool lane sticker, don't get you $10k in rebates, don't save you on gas, don't give you an 8 year, unlimited mile warranty on the expensive parts, don't get you the safest car ever built or optional 7 seats. You'll still need to do maintenance like oil changes, spark plugs, transmission fluid, etc, you won't have as much acceleration off the line (instant torque), won't get the large touchscreen and autopilot and summon plus future updates.

http://cleantechnica.com/2016/01/15/1-large-luxury-car-in-us-tesla-model-s-2015-sales-comparison/

You'll probably end up spending 70-80K on the Tesla after all the upgrades.  Plus,  most luxury car owners don't own them more than 3 or 4 years.. so the warranty is meh.

True, I would lease if I didn't drive so much. I could only see buying the other luxury cars if you are enamored with the looks or sound.

SubSolar said:
jmoney74 said:
SubSolar said:
ps9 said:
@Sub

True, I would lease if I didn't drive so much. I could only see buying the other luxury cars if you are enamored with the looks or sound.

Did you hear about CA trying to do a mileage tax instead of a gas tax?  What a bunch of jokers.. just come out and say you care more about the money and that it was never about the environment.
http://www.mercurynews.com/science/...a-considering-plan-replace-gas-tax-charge-per

SubSolar said:
jmoney74 said:
Did you hear about CA trying to do a mileage tax instead of a gas tax?  What a bunch of jokers.. just come out and say you care more about the money and that it was never about the environment.
http://www.mercurynews.com/science/...a-considering-plan-replace-gas-tax-charge-per

Yeah, lame! There will be more of these kinds of things too when self driving cars and Uber become more popular and they can't get any revenue from speeding and parking tickets.

Less gas tax revenue and more abuse on the road -  it was only a matter of time. Not sure what the environment has to do with any of this. If you drive electric you are free loading on road maintenance. :p

peppy said:
SubSolar said:
jmoney74 said:

Yeah, lame! There will be more of these kinds of things too when self driving cars and Uber become more popular and they can't get any revenue from speeding and parking tickets.

Less gas tax revenue and more abuse on the road -  it was only a matter of time. Not sure what the environment has to do with any of this. If you drive electric you are free loading on road maintenance. :p

LOL

Welll I guess if they want to move to a consumption model.. so beit.. just lower the state tax!  None of this helps cut CA government spending.

morekaos said:
If you buy one stock up on spare parts.  Not a good short now but someday....

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-tesla-model-s-20130820,0,4137969.story

But the cars themselves aren?t making the company any money.

Tesla has reported a profit in the last two quarters because its chief executive, the intrepid Elon Musk, has deftly extracted millions from government environmental policies, all the while establishing himself as the country?s leading corporate futurist, a modern Henry Ford.

On the more expensive Model S -- with the biggest battery and longest driving range -- Tesla collects seven environmental credits from California's Air Resources Board. It can sell those credits for an estimated $5,000 each to other automakers, as Los Angeles Times auto reporter Jerry Hirsch reported earlier this year. Other automakers need the credits to meet state pollution regulations.

So Tesla can net as much as $35,000 per Model S -- more than most cars cost. It's the difference between profit and loss. During just the first six months of this year, Tesla has sold about $150 million in environmental credits.

That?s on top of the up to $10,000 in state and federal government subsidies directly to buyers of electric cars. Strip all that away, and Tesla presumably would have to sell its top-end Model S for something more like $150,000, in the same volume, to make any money.

At the time TSLA was trading around $190.  Maybe now is someday

jmoney74 said:
SubSolar said:
jmoney74 said:
SubSolar said:
ps9 said:
@Sub

California should also consider getting rid of private auto insurance. The state should just tack on the insurance cost with gasoline. If you drive electric/alternative fuel, you will be billed based on mileage. No more uninsured motorists.

iacrenter said:
jmoney74 said:
SubSolar said:
jmoney74 said:
SubSolar said:
ps9 said:
@Sub

California should also consider getting rid of private auto insurance. The state should just tack on the insurance cost with gasoline. If you drive electric/alternative fuel, you will be billed based on mileage. No more uninsured motorists.

Your solution taxtaxtax?

eyephone said:
iacrenter said:
jmoney74 said:
SubSolar said:
jmoney74 said:
SubSolar said:
ps9 said:
@Sub

Your solution taxtaxtax?

The state already requires you to have auto insurance, why not make the scofflaws pay their fair share?

A billion here, a billion there...eventually it adds up.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/02/10/elon-musk-just-lost-33b-on-a-double-whammy.html

Elon Musk just lost $3.3B on a double whammy

It's been an ugly stock market for most investors. But famed inventor and investor Elon Musk is having an exceptionally bad year - not just on one investment - but two.

Musk's holdings in solar panel installer SolarCity and electric car maker Tesla are down a staggering $3.3 billion - just this year. Musk is the largest single owner of both companies - which together have handed all investors total market value losses of $14.8 billion this year.

Both Musk's companies have been falling out of favor with investors this year as the market punishes companies that are thin on profit but high on valuation. Falling oil prices have also taken out the urgency and enthusiasm over alternative energy plays

True believers here's your chance to invest in Tesla at a "bargain" price:

Tesla's junk bonds sink to their lowest level yet
Telsa Inc.'s high-yield bonds fell to their lowest level yet on Wednesday, as concerns continued to swirl around Chief Executive Elon Musk and his fitness to run the electric car maker. The latest demonstration of erratic behavior were Musk's emails to Buzzfeed News, in which he doubled down on a personal attack against one of the divers involved in the rescue of a youth soccer team from a cave in Thailand, by calling the man a "child rapist." Musk had previously called the diver, Briton Vernon Unsworth, a "pedo" before apologizing when Unsworth's lawyer threatened to sue. Musk also swore at the Buzzfeed reporter in one email and accused him of failing to honor a request to keep his comments "off the record." Tesla's 5.300% notes that mature in August of 2025 traded at 85.688 cents on the dollar to yield 8.029% late Wednesday, or at a yield spread of 513 basis points over Treasurys, 15 basis points wider on the day, according to MarketAxess.
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/teslas-junk-bonds-sink-to-their-lowest-level-yet-2018-09-06

This year, it seems that TSLA's stock price is based on Elon Musk's behavior at any given time.  He goes on his Twitter and says things that makes the stock drop.  He goes on Twitter and says things that make the stock shoot up.  If he's calling rescue workers pedophiles, the stock drops below 300.  When he apologizes it goes back to $300-$330.  If he says the company is worth $420 a share, the stock goes up to $390 and slowly drops back to the $300-$330 level.

It's $280 now, and I expect it to shoot back up 10% within a couple of weeks when he decides to stop calling people pedophiles. 

Liar Loan said:

Telsa Inc.'s high-yield bonds fell to their lowest level yet on Wednesday, as concerns continued to swirl around Chief Executive Elon Musk and his fitness to run the electric car maker. The latest demonstration of erratic behavior were Musk's emails to Buzzfeed News, in which he doubled down on a personal attack against one of the divers involved in the rescue of a youth soccer team from a cave in Thailand, by calling the man a "child rapist." Musk had previously called the diver, Briton Vernon Unsworth, a "pedo" before apologizing when Unsworth's lawyer threatened to sue. Musk also swore at the Buzzfeed reporter in one email and accused him of failing to honor a request to keep his comments "off the record." Tesla's 5.300% notes that mature in August of 2025 traded at 85.688 cents on the dollar to yield 8.029% late Wednesday, or at a yield spread of 513 basis points over Treasurys, 15 basis points wider on the day, according to MarketAxess.
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/teslas-junk-bonds-sink-to-their-lowest-level-yet-2018-09-06

Can?t buy those unless you are an accredited investor.

With musk smoking weed tonight, and massive revenue in q3, we are heading straight to 420 boys.

inv0ke-epipen said:
Liar Loan said:

With musk smoking weed tonight, and massive revenue in q3, we are heading straight to 420 boys.

Invoke is right

I am far removed from being a Tesla believer but , liar loan - another pasted link here and a theory . 

So you say what ? better to buy bonds if you believe in Tesla upside ? As opposed to Tesla equity ? Are you sure about this before I take it apart step by step  as several times before : )

rip
7D5MfXRQMUNbh-vxwtojbDnCghhJd68syqTpVMU5s-g.png

Tesla Chief Accounting Officer Dave Morton resigns after just a month, stock drops 9 percent

• Tesla's chief accounting officer Dave Morton resigns after a month on the job.
  • In a statement in Tesla's recent 8K filing, Morton says he left Tesla because of "the level of public attention placed on the company."
  • News of Morton's quick departure follows CEO Elon Musk's bizarre weed-and-whiskey interview with Joe Rogan.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/07/teslas-chief-accounting-officer-dave-morton-resigns-after-just-a-month.html

inv0ke-epipen said:
Liar Loan said:

...or $220 more likely.

Back