Tesla Solar Rental - No removal cost in Sept

irvinehomeowner said:
So Tesla makes money on the rental and the utility credits?

I think I was wrong here. The owner still gets the credits. Only the rebates/incentives pass on to Tesla.

So you could still net out positive on this? If your bill goes to zero and you generate credits, at the end of the year you could get money back from SCE?

eyephone said:
I know many people are jumping on that monthly deal.
It?s one of those things. Get on the train before it?s too late.

It's October... is the no removal cost still in effect? I think so.

eyephone said:
jamesKirk said:
I?d need to see what my consumption is before considering solar. We may not even use as much energy as I think we do.

But if we did, a subscription wouldn?t be bad if it covered my entire bill every month so that I knew exactly what my electric bill would be every single month.

How much is your avg electric bill besides summer months?

No idea. Just moved. May make sense, may not for me.

irvinehomeowner said:
eyephone said:

Si, message wood for referral code. $100 each way (new buyer and owner)

irvinehomeowner said:
eyephone said:

It?s like renting a new car from the dealer instead of leasing or buying. (with no termination fee due to current promotion)

jamesKirk said:
eyephone said:
jamesKirk said:
I?d need to see what my consumption is before considering solar. We may not even use as much energy as I think we do.

But if we did, a subscription wouldn?t be bad if it covered my entire bill every month so that I knew exactly what my electric bill would be every single month.

How much is your avg electric bill besides summer months?

No idea. Just moved. May make sense, may not for me.

It might be too late once you figure out to get into the deal.

eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:
eyephone said:

It?s like renting a new car from the dealer instead of leasing or buying. (with no termination fee due to current promotion)

Leasing a car is a similar concept.

Now you see the advantage. Good luck if you are renting Tesla, let us know how it goes.

irvinehomeowner said:
eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:
eyephone said:

Now you see the advantage. Good luck if you are renting Tesla, let us know how it goes.

But if you had the opportunity to rent a car month to month at a reasonable price you would jump on it.

Of course I see the advantage with the new program and current promotion.

Here are the following scenarios if we move: 1. I don?t have to worrry about the sunk cost if we bought the solar. 2. I don?t have to worry about the lease. I hear some sellers have to pay off the lease or only accept buyers that are willing to take over the lease.

eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:
eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:
eyephone said:

But if you had the opportunity to rent a car month to month at a reasonable price you would jump on it.

Again, that?s basically what a car lease is.

Did you sign up?

irvinehomeowner said:
eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:
eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:
eyephone said:

No it?s not. Let me explain. If you don?t like the car that you leased. You will have to pay for it for approximately 36 months. If you move or want the solar removed under the promotional program. (No fee to remove)

eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:
eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:
eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:
eyephone said:

No it?s not. Let me explain. If you don?t like the car that you leased. You will have to pay for it for approximately 36 months. If you move or want the solar removed under the promotional program. (No fee to remove)

It's like renting car.  Like from Hertz, where return is at Hertz' availability and convenience.  Assuming availabilty and convenience isn't onerous, as long as the $65/130/195 system generates substantially more and you use that its a no brainer. 

If you're close, its closer to a wash.  Keep in mind, SCE has minimum monthly charges now so any month you net in your favor, you get about a $10 bill now.  I suspect the $65 system is actually most profitable for the home owner.

Yes... I see what eyephone is saying.

It?s more like a cheap monthly car rental.

So did you sign up?

I think Tesla is hoping people keep the service on. And depending on their actual equipment/installation cost, the Fed credit may cover a good portion.

Very seriously considering doing the $65/mo package. We just moved in and our bill was $42 last month but there was a $33 climate credit. And we didn't run A/C at all.

Curious to hear from those who have gone through the process...any feedback or learnings would be appreciated.

For anyone who is still doing this, how is it working out? I didn't realize that Tesla discontinued their subscription service last year.

Working out better than expected.. the deal never made sense for Tesla (huge upfront cost) and they discontinued it as a result. I'm glad I got in. Now the kW generated is worth even more due to the increases over the years. My monthly is still $65 from Tesla.

Only downside is it took one of my clients about 4 months to get his Tesla leased solar removed (happened a week before closing). They were a point in the butt to deal with trying to nail down an uninstall date.

Only downside is it took one of my clients about 4 months to get his Tesla leased solar removed (happened a week before closing). They were a point in the butt to deal with trying to nail down an uninstall date.

Leased or rented? Completely different situation. There is no UCC-1 attached to the property with a rented situation.

Back