Tesla Solar Rental - No removal cost in Sept

I went to a Tesla showroom and talked to them about it.

From what the rep told me, the Tesla Powerwall(s) are not available for rental.

Additionally, they do the whole quote online, they use sat images to determine the viability of your roof and how much usable space they have. They also are limited on type of roofs (she said the spanish curved type tiles usually won't work).

For a medium home (4-5 br) with 2 Tesla Powerwalls, the ballpark quote was ~$25k (including Fed discount).

Next call will be to akkord's contact. Wife still wants to do the bathrooms but she is sold on the battery option to keep the lights on.

The key is I can walk away with no penalty. (If I need more panels, no problem or too big of a system no problem)

If I sell or rent the place. (No problem - I don?t have to worry about paying to remove or the existing solar panel balance)

If better panels come out a couple years from now under the program. Yo replace my panels. (No problem, not 100% sure but I think that?s what the guy mentioned)

The Tesla Solar Rental program is an absolute no brainer for those who have avg bills > $75 /month (there will be $10 connection fee with SCE).  Mine is set to get installed in the next week or two.  The only thing I had to take care of was the HOA permitting (cost + form filling).  Everything else, Tesla took care of.

There is a referral program so if decide to do the rental, let me know :)

So Tesla makes money on the rental and the utility credits?

I think the ownership path makes sense if you plan to stay because you can net out within 5-7 years and then it's "free" electricity after that.

On the rental program I'll have to pay $130-$195/mo (which can be increased) in perpetuity.

irvinehomeowner said:

I think the ownership path makes sense if you plan to stay because you can net out within 5-7 years and then it's "free" electricity after that.

On the rental program I'll have to pay $130-$195/mo (which can be increased) in perpetuity.

But you save right away if you rent. (supposingly)

eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Maybe if you live in one of those three story townhomes, but in Irvine, six months out of the year how do you get a $130 electric bill? 

Honestly if the minimum commitment is $130-$195/month increasing annually, is your monthly bill north of $200 before solar?  I get during summer, but you'll be paying more than minimum then, lower than raw rates, but by how much?

eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Yep. I agree, depends on your situation.

We are most likely in our last home, but if we knew we were going to move up, I would do the solar rental too.

I think it makes perfect sense for you if your electric bill is more than what the rental cost is.

nosuchreality said:
eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Maybe if you live in one of those three story townhomes, but in Irvine, six months out of the year how do you get a $130 electric bill? 

Honestly if the minimum commitment is $130-$195/month increasing annually, is your monthly bill north of $200 before solar?  I get during summer, but you'll be paying more than minimum then, lower than raw rates, but by how much?

I?m not sure this answers your question.

3 tiers to choose from:
$65, $130, $195

woodburyowner said:
The Tesla Solar Rental program is an absolute no brainer for those who have avg bills > $75 /month (there will be $10 connection fee with SCE).  Mine is set to get installed in the next week or two.  The only thing I had to take care of was the HOA permitting (cost + form filling).  Everything else, Tesla took care of.

Which one did you get? Small, Medium, Large

eyephone said:
woodburyowner said:

Which one did you get? Small, Medium, Large

Small.  My roof can't really support more than 12 panels anyway.  This will more than cover my needs and I can probably lower my thermostat 2 or 3 degrees in the summer and still pay less than I did pre-solar.

woodburyowner said:

How much is the HOA permitting fee?

eyephone said:
woodburyowner said:

How much is the HOA permitting fee?

$250.  Every HOA is different.

You see the roof fire problem has already happened, so Tesla will be extra careful from now.  So why worry?

irvinehomeowner said:
@woodburyowner:

Let us know how long this whole process took from start to finish.

Maybe purchase deals take longer?

I know many people are jumping on that monthly deal.
It?s one of those things. Get on the train before it?s too late.

I?d need to see what my consumption is before considering solar. We may not even use as much energy as I think we do.

But if we did, a subscription wouldn?t be bad if it covered my entire bill every month so that I knew exactly what my electric bill would be every single month.

jamesKirk said:
I?d need to see what my consumption is before considering solar. We may not even use as much energy as I think we do.

But if we did, a subscription wouldn?t be bad if it covered my entire bill every month so that I knew exactly what my electric bill would be every single month.

How much is your avg electric bill besides summer months?

Back