Tesla Solar Panels Price Cut

USCTrojanCPA said:
So what is the payback period for the solar panels?  If most owners seller their homes within 5-7 years, I don't see how the owner will get a full payback on their upfront investment in solar panels.

This is what I have been saying all along.
Maybe even longer period if you add the battery pack.

USCTrojanCPA said:
So what is the payback period for the solar panels?  If most owners seller their homes within 5-7 years, I don't see how the owner will get a full payback on their upfront investment in solar panels.

We've had this discussion.

It's not just about ROI, it's also about being able to use as much electricity (AC in our case) as you want, being able to charge EVs and basically not be SCE dependent.

People spend just as much doing other things on their house without a large return either.

USCTrojanCPA said:

What can I say? He?s a numbers guy.

USCTrojanCPA said:

People upgrade things in their house regardless of the 5-7 year time frame.

Also, most of the people who get solar panel is probably at their last house as it requires substantial roof space....so I would think that they would be there a lot longer than 5 to 7.

irvinehomeowner said:
It's funny, if I were shopping right now, a home with solar would be a plus for me, just like a new kitchen or bathroom.

I agree but because I have such high usage due to long commutes and 2 electric cars, a home with a small solar system that doesn't meet my needs would be a negative though.

Cares said:
irvinehomeowner said:
It's funny, if I were shopping right now, a home with solar would be a plus for me, just like a new kitchen or bathroom.

I agree but because I have such high usage due to long commutes and 2 electric cars, a home with a small solar system that doesn't meet my needs would be a negative though.

I have mentioned previously. If you have high energy usage. It?s like a no brainer to get solar.

I get complaints from my friend of the high energy bills due to working from home, ac on 247, energy related to the pool, and they have an EV.

Cares said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Why would a home with a small solar system be a negative for you?  Even if it shaves of any % of your bill, that's still a savings. 

Old tech solar produces less electricty per panel.  3 years ago the standard panel was 275 watts.  The standard panel is 330 now, and you can even get 375 to 400?

So if you don't have that much area on your roof, the higher watt panels help a lot.  I understand the concern.  It's like replacing your old PC with a new PC.  The old one works fine, but the new one is way better.

woodburyowner said:
Cares said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Why would a home with a small solar system be a negative for you?  Even if it shaves of any % of your bill, that's still a savings.

Typically means I'm paying more for less. With solar panels you get better pricing with larger systems. If I need say 100 kwH and that'll cost me $100 but I can only get 20kWh but I'm paying $30 for that then it's a detractor. I would rather have no solar panels and then install the full system to what I need for a better price. And that is because there are also certain fixed costs associated with a system that can get better spread out through larger systems.

I went down the solar rabbit hole, with TOU in Oct 2020, and the 30% tax credit going away I'm going to do solar.  The quote I got couldn't be beat by other companies, others said that's way too low, but its 3 of us doing solar on 3k sf homes.  PM me directly if anyone wants the info, he'll take my referrals but only for a short period of time. 

akkord said:
I went down the solar rabbit hole, with TOU in Oct 2020, and the 30% tax credit going away I'm going to do solar.  The quote I got couldn't be beat by other companies, others said that's way too low, but its 3 of us doing solar on 3k sf homes.  PM me directly if anyone wants the info, he'll take my referrals but only for a short period of time. 

Can you share the pricing and the equipment?

For those getting (or already have) panels, where did you put them?

A while ago, when I first looked into this, I think south facing was best. But now, I've read articles that say west is better because that's when energy is most expensive from the utility companies. I haven't looked at SCE's TOU plans for a while but I notice all of them charge the highest prices from 4pm-9pm so to me, that makes sense that you would want your panels generating power during this time.

If you have batteries, this may not matter as much, but it does seem like west facing is probably the best choice.

TLDR: Solar works for me, but it may not in your situation.  If you plan to move in 1-5 years don't do it, I wouldn't either.

My situation is different, I can't personally trade at my job, if I do there are a ton of restrictions and pre-clearing that will eat up returns, like a min 60 day hold period, so I can't trade the news or earnings, etc.  So why not put it in solar and get a return after 5/6 years while blasting my AC and living comfortably at home, I'm conservative with AC usage now and I don't want to be. I don't plan on moving, there's normally always someone at the house, and I work a couple days from home every week and my wife occasionally does too. 

I get it, there's time value in money and it may get cheaper in the future, but how much cheaper and how long would you wait?  If solar's cheaper in 2 years, but break even is still another 3/4 years, you're losing say ~7-10% on your money for 2 years, you'd break even around the same time.  *Like I said I probably won't get these returns with my current job

Think of a remodel, you reap the benefits now by having a nicer kitchen, or bathroom, or flooring, whatever you decide to do.  But is your remodel 10-15 years down the road going to hold up or be dated.  We all look at homes built in the 2000s and we're like that kitchen and flooring needs to be redone, or that wall needs to go down to open it up.  Once my solar goes in, at least I'm reaping the benefits now and 10-15 years down the road the electricity will still be free or close to it with rising costs. 

Remember TOU in Oct 2020 will raise your bill, it will be mandatory for every one using SCE, so increasing costs will help you break even sooner.  Buying an EV or 2, which is where the market is going will help you break even sooner, kids getting older and using more electricity will help you break even sooner.  My blasting the AC at 70-72 all summer long will help me break even sooner.  You plan to move in a few years, don't even think about solar. 

My solar installation is going to start tomorrow. I can't wait for it to be fully running and no more $300 electricity bills just for driving.

As I previously stated if you have a high electric bill consider solar. (No brainer) But dont get it just to say you have it.

I see it as technology will get cheaper just like flat screen tv. Do you remember when the flat screen tv just came out it was over priced? Now it?s like so cheap.

Also, they keep on changing the energy rules. So the set up you have now, might not be optimal. (Idk that is why I mentioned the battery, but that costs $)

I understand, some people love new technology and get a new phone or TV every year, not something I would do, but if it makes them happy, why not. 

I bought my Pioneer Elite 50 for 2700 and 60 for 4500 7/8 years ago.  I just picked up a Samsung Q90 82 inch in the 3s that arrives today, hopefully undamaged.  I still use my Pioneer in the bedroom, the 1080 content, black levels, motion for sports is still awesome in my eyes. 

You can try and figure out the energy rules going forward, but 5 years ago did anyone anticipate the 10k SALT cap?  I didn't see it coming 5 years ago, and if you saw it coming, give me the winning numbers for the lotto, or what stocks I can buy and hold for 60+ days and make a good return.  :)

eyephone said:
As I previously stated if you have a high electric bill consider solar. (No brainer) But dont get it just to say you have it.

I see it as technology will get cheaper just like flat screen tv. Do you remember when the flat screen tv just came out it was over priced? Now it?s like so cheap.

Also, they keep on changing the energy rules.

The TOU (Time of use) contract is suppose to be grandfathered in.
The people who got solar before the TOU rules (early solar adopters) still have more than 15 years to reap the solar credits they signed with Edison back then. 
(They get to sell their electricity at a higher rate then us new adopters)

Also, I didn't know all Edison customers are going to TOU rates in OCT 2020...so y'all got another 15 months to plant solar on yer rooves.

Back