Tesla Model 3

Even without that, a lot of people still want it
It's like the next iPhone. Dunno the specs, but guaranteed a line around the block.
Gas prices will tick up at some point more than it is now imo. Break even for the car especially $25k after incentives should be several years if you get free charging at work or work/live next to a tesla supercharging station.

AW said:
It's like the next iPhone. Dunno the specs, but guaranteed a line around the block.
Gas prices will tick up at some point more than it is now imo. Break even for the car especially $25k after incentives should be several years if you get free charging at work or work/live next to a tesla supercharging station.

Yeah, but at least the iPhone people usually know the price, what it looks like, etc and they get it right away. And it's $800 instead of $35k+.

AW said:

Did you read my other post in the other ev thread? Nissan is trying to aiming for 300 plus EV.

nissan_ids_concept_tokyo2015_08_large.jpg

Somehow production will probably end up looking like ass. They really need to just have the concept as production.

Leaf already has a stigma of a little itty bitty commuter car whereas most tesla owners love their cars (even without the insane setting model), new 3 is supposedly really fast as well. 0-60 under 4? I don't think the bolt is as fast and doubt the leaf will be as well?

AW said:
nissan_ids_concept_tokyo2015_08_large.jpg

Somehow production will probably end up looking like ass. They really need to just have the concept as production.

Leaf already has a stigma of a little itty bitty commuter car whereas most tesla owners love their cars (even without the insane setting model), new 3 is supposedly really fast as well. 0-60 under 4? I don't think the bolt is as fast and doubt the leaf will be as well?
https://transportevolved.com/2015/1...truction-300-mile-battery-inductive-charging/

Over 1,000 people in line at some stores today. Somehow I don't see the same excitement over a Chevy or Nissan.

SubSolar said:
Over 1,000 people in line at some stores today. Somehow I don't see the same excitement over a Chevy or Nissan.

My friend said, who knows if there are people paid to be in line. (Just saying)
Also, the price might be subject to change?

Over 100k pre orders. 0-60 under 6s. $35k base with no options.

I do like the leaf looks, wireless, range. Will be interesting in the next couple years for ev's.

Reserved one.  Happy with the unveiled product.  Sleek interior, 5 star safety rating all around, >215 mile range, 0-60 sub 6 sec.  Front and rear trunk space.  Two thumbs up.  Hopefully reliability is good.

SubSolar said:
eyephone's friend thinks people were paid to do the 115,000 reservations.

Okay. The fact is Tesla had the upper hand on the long range EV. But it will be different. Tesla does not build enough to bring down their cost.

A lot can change in 2 years. To put money down for a concept is a little risky. So does the contract say it is guaranteed to be $35k?

eyephone said:
A lot can change in 2 years. To put money down for a concept is a little risky. So does the contract say it is guaranteed to be $35k?

I think pricing is subject to change but it will be around that price.. it's always been his target price range (30s).  Good thing is you can just get your deposit back.

Man, Musk is a genius...at using government subsidies to line his pockets.

http://www.wired.com/2016/03/sorry-dont-expect-tesla-model-3-cost-30k/

There are several reasons that price is almost certainly a fantasy. First, that $35,000 base model probably won?t have the fun options people want. Based upon how Tesla has priced its Model S sedans and Model X SUVs, crowd-pleasing features like all-wheel drive, a larger battery for more range, and that really cool ?autopilot? feature will add thousands to the sticker price. The base price of a Model S is 70 grand. Tesla won?t reveal the average sale price, but Morgan Stanley pegged it at $105,000 in 2014.

But even if you?re happy with the base model, there?s a bigger problem. The sub-$30,000 price point is based on a $7,500 federal tax credit (some states offer additional incentives, but nothing nearly so generous). That discount is designed to foster adoption by subsidizing the cost of what remains a fairly expensive technology without dinging automakers. Everyone from General Motors to Nissan relies upon tax credits to help move cars by keeping the cost of cars like the Model 3, the Chevrolet Bolt, and the Nissan Leaf below $30,000, a number consumers find palatable.

That federal tax credit won?t be around forever. It was designed to get automakers started, and applies to the first 200,000 electric vehicles a manufacturer sells in the US. Once an automaker hits that benchmark, the credit phases out incrementally over the following 12 months.

That $7,500 tax credit is ?incredibly important,? especially at the Model 3 price point, says Rebecca Lindland, a senior analyst at Kelley Blue Book. ?One could argue they sort of wasted their credits on the very wealthy, people who didn?t need it,? she says.

Did you even see the presentation lol. Autopilot and glass roof are standard. That's $5k of options on a Model S.

Chevy Bolt not looking so attractive anymore. Same price, no autopilot standard, only a 100,000 mile warranty vs 8 year unlimited mile, no free supercharging, a second slower 0-60, no all wheel drive option, etc.

Make no mistake the Model 3 is an absolute game changer. There is little point in buying another sedan in the price range with all the options, warranty, free charging and lack of maintenance required. I'm guessing other car manufacturer's will have to boost their warranties to at least 5 year/100k miles to compete and maybe throw in free oil changes and maintenance to offset the zero maintenance of EV's. I somehow doubt they will throw in free gas though to compete with the free supercharging.

SubSolar said:
Did you even see the presentation lol. Autopilot and glass roof are standard. That's $5k of options on a Model S.

Chevy Bolt not looking so attractive anymore. Same price, no autopilot standard, only a 100,000 mile warranty vs 8 year unlimited mile, no free supercharging, a second slower 0-60, no all wheel drive option, etc.

Make no mistake the Model 3 is an absolute game changer. There is little point in buying another sedan in the price range with all the options, warranty, free charging and lack of maintenance required. I'm guessing other car manufacturer's will have to boost their warranties to at least 5 year/100k miles to compete and maybe throw in free oil changes and maintenance to offset the zero maintenance of EV's. I somehow doubt they will throw in free gas though to compete with the free supercharging.

Who knows the way they are losing money?

morekaos said:

There are several reasons that price is almost certainly a fantasy. First, that $35,000 base model probably won?t have the fun options people want. Based upon how Tesla has priced its Model S sedans and Model X SUVs, crowd-pleasing features like all-wheel drive, a larger battery for more range, and that really cool ?autopilot? feature will add thousands to the sticker price.
That article... No duh the $35k price is base...

The tax incentive would be interesting, bolt surely would have it, the next leaf and 3 is iffy

Even if bolt has the incentive and the 3 doesn't, I'd still choose the 3

morekaos said:

There are several reasons that price is almost certainly a fantasy. First, that $35,000 base model probably won?t have the fun options people want. Based upon how Tesla has priced its Model S sedans and Model X SUVs, crowd-pleasing features like all-wheel drive, a larger battery for more range, and that really cool ?autopilot? feature will add thousands to the sticker price. The base price of a Model S is 70 grand. Tesla won?t reveal the average sale price, but Morgan Stanley pegged it at $105,000 in 2014.

But even if you?re happy with the base model, there?s a bigger problem. The sub-$30,000 price point is based on a $7,500 federal tax credit (some states offer additional incentives, but nothing nearly so generous). That discount is designed to foster adoption by subsidizing the cost of what remains a fairly expensive technology without dinging automakers. Everyone from General Motors to Nissan relies upon tax credits to help move cars by keeping the cost of cars like the Model 3, the Chevrolet Bolt, and the Nissan Leaf below $30,000, a number consumers find palatable.

That federal tax credit won?t be around forever. It was designed to get automakers started, and applies to the first 200,000 electric vehicles a manufacturer sells in the US. Once an automaker hits that benchmark, the credit phases out incrementally over the following 12 months.

That $7,500 tax credit is ?incredibly important,? especially at the Model 3 price point, says Rebecca Lindland, a senior analyst at Kelley Blue Book. ?One could argue they sort of wasted their credits on the very wealthy, people who didn?t need it,? she says.

Like how how the entire real estate and loan industries use tax deductions as an incentive to buy real estate?

Back