Tesla Model 3

gpquest said:
Teslas are poorly built cars. I would rather buy the upcoming All-Electric Porsche Taycan!

Price is an issue for me, not a baller yet, taycan starting around 92k and $130k for the faster version.  model 3 performance is a 60k car.  To each their own..

SoclosetoIrvine said:
Looking to get a performance model 3 in a few months, any ball park figures on installing the EV charging at home? I've read through the forum and people recommend the nema 14-50...would i be combining this with the tesla wall connector then done?  The wall connector is around $500.  How much would the nema install be?  Any recommendations?

I installed 2 dedicated 60 amp wall chargers. I struck a bargain with them because I've used them for 3 other jobs. $800 for the install. One was right behind the main panel and the other was run across to the other side of the garage.

SCE gave me $500 for each charger installed. Plus I got both $500 chargers free through referrals so I profited from installing the chargers.

gpquest said:
Teslas are poorly built cars. I would rather buy the upcoming All-Electric Porsche Taycan!

Overpriced. It only goes 250 miles on 96 kWh battery?! 2.6 miles per kWh? Tesla today is at 310 miles on 75 kWh battery for 4.13 miles per kWh. That's a drastic performance difference in efficiency. Most of the cost of an electric is the battery and you'd be paying a huge premium on an inefficient car.

Not to mention in terms of speed performance Model 3 Performance does 0-60 in 3.2s whereas the Taycan is 3.5s and at a fraction of the cost.

If you want to compare a car in the same class Model S probably is more in line with price at just under $100k for Performance. And that car does 0-60 in 2.4s and also 345 miles on 75 kWh battery for 4.6 miles per kWh. An even greater "value".

AW said:
SoclosetoIrvine said:
Looking to get a performance model 3 in a few months, any ball park figures on installing the EV charging at home? I've read through the forum and people recommend the nema 14-50...would i be combining this with the tesla wall connector then done?  The wall connector is around $500.  How much would the nema install be?  Any recommendations?

Depends on your needs, i don't remember the specifics, but if you use the small one that comes with the car, it charges about 30 mi/hr, you'll need to tell the electrician to install 220v, 40amps, or if you buy the $500 larger wall connector thingamajig from tesla, it charges the car around 50 mi/hr, which requires higher amps (probably 60 just to be safe) on the wall panel
The reason we have breakers is to protect stuff on both sides of the breaker.  A charger has a specific plug, conservatively sized for the charger's amperage demand.  If the charger exceeds that amperage draw for whatever reason, you'll want the breaker to trip as soon as possible.  At best, there is no benefit to paying 75% more for the material to install a 60A breaker when supplying a 50A receptacle.  At worst, doing so could possibly enable bad things to happen, however unlikely.  Hence, not allowed per the NEC.

daedalus said:
AW said:
SoclosetoIrvine said:

Depends on your needs, i don't remember the specifics, but if you use the small one that comes with the car, it charges about 30 mi/hr, you'll need to tell the electrician to install 220v, 40amps, or if you buy the $500 larger wall connector thingamajig from tesla, it charges the car around 50 mi/hr, which requires higher amps (probably 60 just to be safe) on the wall panel
The reason we have breakers is to protect stuff on both sides of the breaker.  A charger has a specific plug, conservatively sized for the charger's amperage demand.  If the charger exceeds that amperage draw for whatever reason, you'll want the breaker to trip as soon as possible.  At best, there is no benefit to paying 75% more for the material to install a 60A breaker when supplying a 50A receptacle.  At worst, doing so could possibly enable bad things to happen, however unlikely.  Hence, not allowed per the NEC.

The maximum amperage of a Tesla charger can supply a max of 60 amps (48 amps with 80% rule) to the cars.

I thought the discussion was about using a charger that required the nema 14-50 receptacle, which is rated @ 50A.

daedalus said:
I thought the discussion was about using a charger that required the nema 14-50 receptacle, which is rated @ 50A.

He was saying some people recommended a 14-50 but went on to ask if a Tesla HPWC made sense. Basically it makes sense if you need the faster charge and if you can put in 60 amps. If you're limited by 50 or 40 amps then go NEMA outlet.

Tesla Model 3 best selling car in California:
https://insideevs.com/news/426084/california-tesla-model-3-best-selling-q12020/

Just beat out the Civic and Camry:

The first quarter of 2020 positively surprised us with the first place among all types of cars, not only passenger but also SUV/trucks, for the all-electric Tesla Model 3:

Tesla Model 3 - 18,856
Honda Civic - 18,001
Toyota Camry - 17,871
Toyoa RAV4 - 17,261
Toyota Corolla - 15,575
Honda Accord - 12,551

For the uninitiated n00bs - myself being King of them all - why is a heat pump an issue?

(Yes, I could Google all this, but best to hear from an owner/fan IMHO)

I haven't researched it either, but wouldn't a heat pump be used for the AC too?  And if it's "NEW" it suggests to me it's just more efficient than the prior one.

I would love to get a Tesla (a Model S) but couldn't really justify it before COVID.  Now...impossible.  We could almost get by with 1 vehicle if I never needed to tow anything.  Life would be simpler and cheaper.

FYI, new supercharger station just opened in back corner of 99 Ranch plaza on Jeffery. Only 8 stalls, but I think they're V3 chargers with up to 250kW power.

hurijo said:
FYI, new supercharger station just opened in back corner of 99 Ranch plaza on Jeffery. Only 8 stalls, but I think they're V3 chargers with up to 250kW power.

Been open for several weeks now and it's been pretty much packed 24/7. I wish they put in like 16 stalls at this location. It's pretty prime being right off the 5 freeway and in the heart of many residential communities where Teslas are pretty popular.

eyephone said:
Pretty much packed. COVID hot spot?  ;)
Charge at home. yo

I have 2 chargers at home but there are people who live in apartments or rentals that want to drive Teslas too. :p

2020 was a good year for Tesla, 4Q hitting over 180k:
https://insideevs.com/news/463594/tesla-q4-deliveries-2020-record/

For Q4 2020, Tesla lists Model 3/Y deliveries at 161,650. Meanwhile, the combined Model S and Model X deliveries hit 18,920.

The production itself was 179,757 in total.

On the production front, Tesla says Model 3/Y production hit 163,660 for Q4, while Model S and X were at 16,097 combined.

The grand goal of delivering 500,000 Teslas in 2020 was almost met with the actual total coming in at 499,550. Meanwhile, production for the year blew past a half-million at 509,737.

Maybe that's why Toyota moved to Texas. :)

Spotted a new set of superchargers being installed in EMC Seafood's parking lot along Culver.

Attachments

• Supercharger Site.jpg
    Supercharger Site.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 122
Back