Tesla Model 3

I think the low-end Model 3 surpasses the Prius Prime (closest comparison since there is no all-electric Prius) even with cost.

For a lease of $399/mo, I would consider the 3 for my kids when they can drive but they already feel entitled. It would be more humbling for them to drive a Leaf, Bolt or Kia Niro. :)

Cares said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Goriot said:
Tesla is like an iPhone.

This.

Status symbol car... and much cooler than a Prius.

Someone I know drove a BMW... let's just say he's a bit full of himself (which is fine, self confidence helps you get places in life)... so it was no surprise that he got an S... and for the first few days, parked it outside instead of in the garage. :)

I wouldn't say so much a status symbol when compared to a Prius. It is arguably better in every aspect except cost. And even if you factor in what you get for you dollar then Teslas surpass a Prius.

Are you factoring that a person can negotiate a lower price/shop around for the best price for a Prius? (or other car) But I don?t think you can do that with a Tesla.

Also, a person has to factor in the maintenance and service like has to be done by Tesla. (hypothetically you can do it yourself. I have seen YouTube videos but it looks like they know what they are doing and been working on several cars.) In addition, a person may consider the timing of the Tesla parts for replacement if you get into an accident.

eyephone said:
Cares said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Goriot said:
Tesla is like an iPhone.

This.

Someone I know drove a BMW... let's just say he's a bit full of himself (which is fine, self confidence helps you get places in life)... so it was no surprise that he got an S... and for the first few days, parked it outside instead of in the garage. :)

I wouldn't say so much a status symbol when compared to a Prius. It is arguably better in every aspect except cost. And even if you factor in what you get for you dollar then Teslas surpass a Prius.

Are you factoring that a person can negotiate a lower price/shop around for the best price for a Prius? (or other car) But I don?t think you can do that with a Tesla.

Also, a person has to factor in the maintenance and service like has to be done by Tesla. (hypothetically you can do it yourself. I have seen YouTube videos but it looks like they know what they are doing and been working on several cars.) In addition, a person may consider the timing of the Tesla parts for replacement if you get into an accident.

There is no maintenance for Teslas...just brakes and tires.  You can't compare Prius with Teslas...one is a hybrid...there other is full-electric. 

Irvinecommuter said:
eyephone said:
Cares said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Goriot said:
Tesla is like an iPhone.

This.

There is no maintenance for Teslas...just brakes and tires.  You can't compare Prius with Teslas...one is a hybrid...there other is full-electric.

There are Tesla service centers. (Real news)
Just don?t compare to Prius. Because the other car manufacturers are going electric.

It doesn?t matter if your first to makert. All I got to say look at Yahoo.

Tesla?s aren?t status symbols.

Real ballers drop at least 10k on watch and 1k on shoes. I saw an Asian girl at the vet, she had a $3k LV pet carrier and was sporting $1500 sneakers (looked them up online after l left). True baller right there. 

qwerty said:

Real ballers drop at least 10k on watch and 1k on shoes. I saw an Asian girl at the vet, she had a $3k LV pet carrier and was sporting $1500 sneakers (looked them up online after l left). True baller right there. 

Funk that, I love my >$100 pumas and vanz.  :D

USCTrojanCPA said:
qwerty said:

Funk that, I love my >$100 pumas and vanz.  :D

The Harry Potter special edition vans?  ;)

qwerty said:

They are to people who can't afford $15k+ in accessories.

I am beginning to see more 3s in Irvine than Xs and Ss combined. $40k for an all-electric leading edge tech car is pretty cheap.

If there isn't anything better/cheaper once my kids can drive, I'll probably get a Tesla for them (so they can feel even more entitled :( ).

Do the threes have to pay to upgrade to the tesla chargers?  Starting to see them taking the regular EV spots instead of the tesla chargers at places.

I think only S and X have free supercharging (older models and then some newer ones as an incentive).

I don't believe the 3s were ever part of that program which is probably why you see them at regular EV spots.

All Teslas can charge at any EV charger except CHAdeMO chargers. Super early Model 3s had unlimited super charging. S and X also did as well but they took it away for new purchases and then they recently brought it back.

If you didn't get unlimited Supercharging, you can also earn credits by referrals.

Cares said:
All Teslas can charge at any EV charger except CHAdeMO chargers. Super early Model 3s had unlimited super charging. S and X also did as well but they took it away for new purchases and then they recently brought it back.

If you didn't get unlimited Supercharging, you can also earn credits by referrals.

Not having it seems shortsighted.  The superchargers and tesla network seems more prevalent than non tesla chargers.  The cars I've seen are using the standard J1772 fast charger.

It's not shortsighted at all.  It's a tool that Tesla uses to boost sales like they did recently. 

In addition, there are WAY more J1772 chargers than Tesla's Supercharger/Destination charger network.  Just in Irvine alone, I can count over a hundred J1772 charging locations, but zero superchargers.

I've had my Model 3 on TURO for almost a year now and have a lot of good datapoints on how most people charge.  For day to day, charging at home is the cheapest and most efficient way of getting around.  Supercharging really only makes sense when you need to top up quickly, like on a road trip.

id_rather_be_racing said:
I've had my Model 3 on TURO for almost a year now and have a lot of good datapoints on how most people charge.  For day to day, charging at home is the cheapest and most efficient way of getting around.  Supercharging really only makes sense when you need to top up quickly, like on a road trip.

That's interesting.  People renting a M3 on Turo have a 220 home charger?  How's the money on Turo?

Lol, maybe I'm running in the wrong circle.  When I call my destination hotel, they're confident they have the Tesla charger available.  When I say, no the regular EV charger, they always have to check.

Looking to get a performance model 3 in a few months, any ball park figures on installing the EV charging at home? I've read through the forum and people recommend the nema 14-50...would i be combining this with the tesla wall connector then done?  The wall connector is around $500.  How much would the nema install be?  Any recommendations?

If you have a newer electric panel less than $700 is usually the install cost. Amazon actually offers this service and you can price it out.

I read some people getting installs for about $500 but not sure what that included.

SoclosetoIrvine said:
Looking to get a performance model 3 in a few months, any ball park figures on installing the EV charging at home? I've read through the forum and people recommend the nema 14-50...would i be combining this with the tesla wall connector then done?  The wall connector is around $500.  How much would the nema install be?  Any recommendations?
Depends on your needs, i don't remember the specifics, but if you use the small one that comes with the car, it charges about 30 mi/hr, you'll need to tell the electrician to install 220v, 40amps, or if you buy the $500 larger wall connector thingamajig from tesla, it charges the car around 50 mi/hr, which requires higher amps (probably 60 just to be safe) on the wall panel

Back