Tenant not paying rent

Beside run full credits and back ground check, I prefer family renters with younger children.

Once moved in and schools is good district, parents reluctant to move frequently and disrupt their children education. You will have a stable and long term renters.

USCTrojanCPA heckled me for selling my working-class area rentals near the beginning of this pandemic, implying that I may have missed out on lots of gains.  I'm wondering if he's read this thread.

Liar Loan said:
USCTrojanCPA heckled me for selling my working-class area rentals near the beginning of this pandemic, implying that I may have missed out on lots of gains.  I'm wondering if he's read this thread.

I was fortunate that my tenant kept paying rent.

But I'm tired of HoA (in Lake Elsinore) being really annoying, so I'm going to sell my rental when the lease expires next June. I bought the home end of 2005 (right at the peak), so I couldn't have sold it before the pandemic, but now it's finally not under water anymore.

zubs said:
I believe the tenant actually paid the minimal amount, and did not go zero payment/month in the last year.
The tenant is using the CA law and moratorium to pay as little as possible to drag out his stay.
Tenant says he'll leave by end of year, but the dude is a liar.  I say better just kick him out.

The OCT payment was made in full so that my friend could not evict him.

The tenant also sub let some of the rooms in the house to make extra money in the past year.  Not sure if it's the case now.

I'm probably not getting the full story.  I would have evicted the dude long ago.
Friend says he's talked to lawyers about this case, but they have varying degrees of opinions.

I believe the tenant can pay, but since he's on student visa, doesn't care about trashing his credit in USA. 
So he's just making money off my fool of a friend.

.............and that's why you don't rent to people who don't care about their credit..............

I don?t know the full story either, but why did that international student dude ever rent a house? They would usually stay in smaller apartments or dorms.

Also if he does get out by end of the year, is he paying all those unpaid amount? If he really doesn?t care, he would just run back to his own country and never look back.

Compressed-village?s suggestion sounds good. Rent your house to a family with kids, not to some students.

Mety said:
zubs said:
I believe the tenant actually paid the minimal amount, and did not go zero payment/month in the last year.
The tenant is using the CA law and moratorium to pay as little as possible to drag out his stay.
Tenant says he'll leave by end of year, but the dude is a liar.  I say better just kick him out.

The OCT payment was made in full so that my friend could not evict him.

The tenant also sub let some of the rooms in the house to make extra money in the past year.  Not sure if it's the case now.

I'm probably not getting the full story.  I would have evicted the dude long ago.
Friend says he's talked to lawyers about this case, but they have varying degrees of opinions.

I believe the tenant can pay, but since he's on student visa, doesn't care about trashing his credit in USA. 
So he's just making money off my fool of a friend.

.............and that's why you don't rent to people who don't care about their credit..............

I don?t know the full story either, but why did that international student dude ever rent a house? They would usually stay in smaller apartments or dorms.

Also if he does get out by end of the year, is he paying all those unpaid amount? If he really doesn?t care, he would just run back to his own country and never look back.

Compressed-village?s suggestion sounds good. Rent your house to a family with kids, not to some students.

The credit report is the single best predictor of whether they will pay or not.  I'm assuming an international student doesn't have any credit in the US, so I would not have rented to them.

On the other hand, if you say you will only rent to families with young children, you open yourself up to discrimination lawsuits.  It's better to consider all candidates equally by having a written set of criteria you follow when deciding on renters, then choosing the first application that meets that criteria.

My brothers rental tenant stopped paying due to covid.
Both renter and landlord applied for assistance from the state.
My brother just received the money last week.
6 months of rent just showed up in his bank account.

Kind of like free money for the renter.  I wonder if the renter will now keep up with payments.

I also wonder how hard it is to get this money through rental assistance. 
Perhaps a renter can lie about losing job to covid and get free money.

For those of you wondering how long it took my brother to receive the money....

Applied on SEP 12.2021
Received cash on JAN 20.2022 direct deposit.

Here I'll copy his text to me on the process:
It was a long drawn out process that we began in SEP that bled into NOV before we were contacted by the government party for the second time.  I sent out personal information in a formal email and correspondence form at least twice.  We had 4 parties that shared the information.  The property owner, the property manager, the renter and the government agency.

https://www.bcsh.ca.gov/covidrelief/tenant_relief_faq.html

So there is alot of details that has to be met. You have to provide proof hardships. And I would get rid of the tenants ASAP. These are the exact reasons why I operate in A class rental neighborhood. Not that there is no deadbeat, but you will have a better chance of filtering out non performing renters at the beginning.

I would still ding their credit reports. Most likely, they don't care but it would create a trail financial conditions for the next landlord to at least questions their history of black marks.

EMERGENCY RENTAL ASSISTANCE PROGRAM

* Available for households with incomes at or below 80 percent of Area Median Income, with a priority on helping households at or below 50 percent of Area Median Income as well as households unemployed for the preceding 90 days at the time of application.

*Prioritizes the payment of rental arrearages.
Landlords can choose to accept 80 percent of any unpaid rent owed from April 1, 2020, through March 31, 2021. If a landlord accepts this funding, the landlord agrees to forgive the remaining unpaid rent for that covered period.

*If a landlord chooses not to participate, the tenant can still apply for relief valued at 25 percent of unpaid back rent they owe for the covered period.

*Qualified tenants will also be able to access funds to cover 25 percent of prospective rent for the months of April, May, and June of 2021, subject to funding availability.
Utility arrearages will also be eligible to be paid, subject to funding availability.

*The State will directly administer $1.5 billion through either the State Rental Assistance program or through block grants to qualifying local jurisdictions.

Compressed-Village said:

This link is out of date, landlords get paid 100% of the rent due now and assistance has been extended. This is probably a more up to date link:https://housing.ca.gov/covid_rr/program_overview.html

My tenant is eligible up to 15-18 months of assistance for past rent and utilities owed in the Sacramento area for example. But the distribution of funds is not handled by the state but by the local housing administration (https://www.shra.org/sera/).
I got the first few months of payment fairly easily but now they are prioritizing the tenants at risk of eviction.

marmott said:
Compressed-Village said:

This link is out of date, landlords get paid 100% of the rent due now and assistance has been extended. This is probably a more up to date link:https://housing.ca.gov/covid_rr/program_overview.html

My tenant is eligible up to 15-18 months of assistance for past rent and utilities owed in the Sacramento area for example. But the distribution of funds is not handled by the state but by the local housing administration (https://www.shra.org/sera/).
I got the first few months of payment fairly easily but now they are prioritizing the tenants at risk of eviction.

Good to know. In any event I hope you collect all rents dues. It?s not easy being a rental owner?s nowadays.

Compressed-Village said:
Good to know. In any event I hope you collect all rents dues. It?s not easy being a rental owner?s nowadays.

This is the very reason I want to sell both of my homes in Riverside when I move to PS. I'm fortunate that my current tenants had been paying rents throughout the pandemic, but I was really worried, especially after the property management sent out an email in April 2020 warning us about potential missing rents.

I do think the majority of the people do pay their rents. I feel like the minority are actually using this as a reason to not pay. Every landlord that I know of within my social circle have mentioned they did not have issues. Though these landlords do have properties in better areas so there can be an argument for that.

CalBears96 said:
Compressed-Village said:

This is the very reason I want to sell both of my homes in Riverside when I move to PS. I'm fortunate that my current tenants had been paying rents throughout the pandemic, but I was really worried, especially after the property management sent out an email in April 2020 warning us about potential missing rents.

Yup. This is why people own reits. They want to own an asset that is backed my RE. But they dont want to deal with the non payment/repairs.

(I think there are risks owning reits though read the applicable disclosures. Not investment advice.)

Compressed-Village said:

It's not easy right now with all the added protections on top of the normal California law. If it taught me something it's to now add too many rental properties to the one we have as obligations change dramatically past a certain point like having to pay the tenant a fee for them to move out (?!).

At some point landlords will stop being forced to provide social housing to the state of California and everything will go back to normal  :)

marmott said:
Compressed-Village said:

It's not easy right now with all the added protections on top of the normal California law. If it taught me something it's to now add too many rental properties to the one we have as obligations change dramatically past a certain point like having to pay the tenant a fee for them to move out (?!).

At some point landlords will stop being forced to provide social housing to the state of California and everything will go back to normal  :)

There was a problem Nationwide not just California.
You can watch live court cases or vods regarding eviction cases on youtube. (not all or many, there is a job that live streams it)

Back