taekwondo

[quote author="S_man" date=1236603871]Judo has white and then black. No messing around.</blockquote>
So is the Judo belt test like $1000?

On that note, I was wondering what is the best martial arts class for a 4-year old? Or is that too young?

And other than TKD in Woodbury... are there any other Irvine dojos that are recommended? I was hoping there would be some traditional Kung-Fu or Karate schools nearby. As much as I would like to enroll in Gracie Barra Jujitsu or No Limits MMA... I think those are a bit too high-contact for my kid.

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1236649344][quote author="S_man" date=1236603871]Judo has white and then black. No messing around.</blockquote>
So is the Judo belt test like $1000?

On that note, I was wondering what is the best martial arts class for a 4-year old? Or is that too young?

And other than TKD in Woodbury... are there any other Irvine dojos that are recommended? I was hoping there would be some traditional Kung-Fu or Karate schools nearby. As much as I would like to enroll in Gracie Barra Jujitsu or No Limits MMA... I think those are a bit too high-contact for my kid.</blockquote>

Have you looked into the Karate classes offered by City of Irvine? It is only on Sats, and only $45 / month for five class. I was curious anyone here has any experiences.

My boy started at the woodbury one when he was four and half, and he likes it a lot. I think Master Doug is very good. I don't think 4 year old is too young.

As much as I like Master Doug, personally I think it is extremely expensive - close to 200 a month if you incude all the belt tests. It is probably a combination of high lease expenses, and "premium" service charge for a nice place at woodbury. You will have about three belt tests in a six month period. On top of that, there is a contract of 6 months or 12 months depend on your level. So far, we bite the bullet as my boy likes it. However, I am still having a very hard time justifying this expense. Unlike other activities (in this kind of cost range), this is not likely to be a long term thing for most kids. Other sports , they can play until college if they like it, and good at it. If not, they can still enjoy it as a hobby with friends. For instruments, if they like it, they can enjoy it for the rest of their life.

Back