taekwondo

irvine123_IHB

I know there are a lot of parents here on this blog. I am very curious if it is normal to be charged between $80 to $120 for each belt promotion test. If so, what the hell is the rational behind this?

[quote author="irvine123" date=1222934526]I know there are a lot of parents here on this blog. I am very curious if it is normal to be charged between $80 to $120 for each belt promotion test. If so, what the hell is the rational behind this?</blockquote>

That's what we pay at Il Do in WB. No idea the rationale... I have heard others have a similar complaint about different studios as well.

Kim's Tae Kwon Do, that's what kept Panda alive from all the Big Bullies in 6th grade.

When i was in 5th grade my 1st degree Black Belt Promotion Test was $300, that was back in 1986! Accounting for inflation, it must $1000 now for testing for black belt. My mom would ask Master Kim for a discount and he offered me a Special Korean-Rate for $150 to test. Later I found out that an indian and a white friend of mine were asked to pay $500 for their Black Belt Promotion Test. It seemed that Master Kim had a different rate for all races: Indians, Hispanics, Blacks, Asians, Whites, you name it. I remember joking around with my Indian friend, "Mukesh Kumar" who was also testing for his black belt at the same time as me, "Were you quoted the Honkey rate or the Asian rate?"

[quote author="irvine123" date=1222942254]Il Do in WB? in WB town center? My initial reaction is that it is a rip off.</blockquote>

Yup, in Woodbury Town Center. Master Doug is a cool cat...

[quote author="PANDA" date=1222943516]Kim's Tae Kwon Do, that's what kept Panda alive from all the Big Bullies in 6th grade.

When i was in 5th grade my 1st degree Black Belt Promotion Test was $300, that was back in 1986! Accounting for inflation, it must $1000 now for testing for black belt. My mom would ask Master Kim for a discount and he offered me a Special Korean-Rate for $150 to test. Later I found out that an indian and a white friend of mine were asked to pay $500 for their Black Belt Promotion Test. It seemed that Master Kim had a different rate for all races: Indians, Hispanics, Blacks, Asians, Whites, you name it. I remember joking around with my Indian friend, "Mukesh Kumar" who was also testing for his black belt at the same time as me, "Were you quoted the Honkey rate or the Asian rate?"</blockquote>

Honkey... Haven't heard that in a long time. It's a classic...

the belt test charge has become std practice in many dojos, although a controversial subject. a minimal fee is understandable but it's up to you to judge the dojo and instructor for yourself. arbitrary or excessive fees stinks of mcdojo.

I'd say it depends on how many belts. If you figure 7 or 8 belts to black belt, 80-100 bucks is reasonable. If your talking 20 or so belts with all kinds of stripes and do-dads then yeah, you are getting ripped off.

Think of it this way though, how many karate/tkd/jujitsu studio owners do you see riding around in brand new 7 series bmws living in giant houses? I think its very hard to run a successful dojo, and it does a great community service.

It can get expensive and it is somewhat lame that they charge you for every little thing. But really its much cheaper than my ballroom dance hobby.

My school was very old school. Three belts at the time (white, brown, black) and only tested once a year. Then again, it was stricly monthly fee based (100-150 at that time). I was a brown belt for almost 8 years. At that point I was technically lamest student - competiting at 4 levels above me or if you prefer, 4 levels below everybody else.

The best times were with weapons training. Take it easy

-bix

[quote author="25w100k+" date=1222998005]I'd say it depends on how many belts. If you figure 7 or 8 belts to black belt, 80-100 bucks is reasonable. If your talking 20 or so belts with all kinds of stripes and do-dads then yeah, you are getting ripped off.

Think of it this way though, how many karate/tkd/jujitsu studio owners do you see riding around in brand new 7 series bmws living in giant houses? I think its very hard to run a successful dojo, and it does a great community service.</blockquote>

Man, I remember that there only being 5 belts when i took Tae Kwon Do in Korea when i was very little. I believe it was White, Yellow, Blue, Red, Red with Black stripes, and then Black. It wasn't until i came to America where there were like 10 - 15 different colors until you reach black belt with each promotion testing costing around $50. It is a business and the Taekwondo and Karate Masters need to make a living too just like all of us.

Do you guys remember the movie "Karate Kid" with Mr. Miyagi back in the early 80s? I was like the Asian version of Daniel LaRusso, being chased by Johnny and his gang during my elementary and junior high school years. Johnny would say to his friends, "Look, there is Panda, GET HIM!" That's when i had to bust out the moves from Master Kim's dojo. Boy, did i get in a lot trouble when i was a little Panda. I sure did give my poor parents a lot of grief back then. Seriously, Johnny was the bully's real name back in 5th grade and literally Panda had two black eyes.

Starting from Freshman year in High School i started to attend Church and started to become a Good Boy.

Oh hey Ipo, I guess I'll be seeing you at tkd class! I signed my boy and me up for the family classes in Woodbury. Master Doug seems very good. We start next week!

[quote author="irvinesinglemom" date=1223035512]Oh hey Ipo, I guess I'll be seeing you at tkd class! I signed my boy and me up for the family classes in Woodbury. Master Doug seems very good. We start next week!</blockquote>

We are on hiatus until Fall baseball season is over so my son will start back in December at Il Do. Not sure if I'm joining up. You might kick my butt in some sparing and crush my fragile ego! Master Doug is very good with the kids and is good graphic design guy too... I had him do some work for my company.

We usually hit the 10:15 family class on Saturdays and a T/TH Tigers class during the week.

For lower degree belts i can see 40 to 60 dollars per belt but it should not be more than 100 or so for black belt. If it is then i feel it is gouging in my book.

I've only attended Aikido class for one summer when i was a kid , so will not claim any expertise on this subject.

There are many different martial arts styles and schools. Find out what they charge for fees and grade (kyu) & degree (dan) promotions before enrolling your kid. If you feel that the school is charging unreasonable amounts, or is of dubious quality (McDojo drive-through black belts), go elsewhere.

It is renewal time for TKD. For the last six months, my boy got several color belts at woodbury. He has been going there twice a week, and enjoyed it. I was told the next step is the black belt club. However, the timing of the class is not working well with our schedule on weekdays. Since both my wife and I work, I am struggling to decide if it is worth our effort to continue the class. He is only in KG, and twice a week at 7:15pm put extra stress on both my wife and I. I know they have a sat class, but it is smack in the middle of the day, which kills my whole Sat schedule.

[quote author="irvine123" date=1235437507]It is renewal time for TKD. For the last six months, my boy got several color belts at woodbury. He has been going there twice a week, and enjoyed it. I was told the next step is the black belt club. However, the timing of the class is not working well with our schedule on weekdays. Since both my wife and I work, I am struggling to decide if it is worth our effort to continue the class. He is only in KG, and twice a week at 7:15pm put extra stress on both my wife and I. I know they have a sat class, but it is smack in the middle of the day, which kills my whole Sat schedule.</blockquote>

Man, 7:15pm is a late class for a 5-year old... I think there is a BBC at 5pm on MW as well. The Saturday classes are all Family ones - less focused, larger degree of skill levels, etc. You got seven months until Fall TBall starts up. That'll be practice twice a week and a game on Sunday. Imagine both karate and that too!

You are right IPO. 7:15 is late not just for my 5-year old, but also for me. I want to kind of relax at home. The 5-pm classes cause logistic issues with school pickups and dinner for the young one. The current 545pm class has been perfect, but it is only for the beginer belts.

I incline to skip for a while, and wait for my younger one to get old enough so they can go together, which will make it so much easier. My problem is that my 5-year old likes it, and i don't know exactly how to communicate with him on this. I wouldn't mind try out the 715pm class for a while, but Elite Fittness require long term contracts. If we end up not going, I will lose all my pre payment.

[quote author="irvine123" date=1235452207]You are right IPO. 7:15 is late not just for my 5-year old, but also for me. I want to kind of relax at home. The 5-pm classes cause logistic issues with school pickups and dinner for the young one. The current 545pm class has been perfect, but it is only for the beginer belts.

I incline to skip for a while, and wait for my younger one to get old enough so they can go together, which will make it so much easier. My problem is that my 5-year old likes it, and i don't know exactly how to communicate with him on this. I wouldn't mind try out the 715pm class for a while, but Elite Fittness require long term contracts. If we end up not going, I will lose all my pre payment.</blockquote>

Damn that Master Doug... :)

Doug is nice,and good with the kids. We really like him. No complaint there.

It is probably all the same, the contract terms at TKD places are just screwy.

Take martial arts at a community center or church where they don't charge a grip for belts. My black belt was obtained through college courses. I had to come back to finish my black belt. I never paid a dime outside my normal tuition. For my Karate class we had white, yellow, green, brown 1, brown 2, then black.

Judo has white and then black. No messing around.

Back