Sudden sky high prices & no inventory of rental homes?

With that budget you would then need to value the cost of living in Irvine versus a closer by city like Tustin/Lake Forest for example. How much value do you gain by being in Irvine versus a neighboring city? How much can you save by living in a neighboring city of Irvine?
We are actually looking at both Tustin & Irvine, but it seems like Tustin doesn't have as many 3/2 rentals overall as Irvine... we are also considering Aliso Viejo but that would be a last ditch effort because gas prices would offset most of the savings in rent probably.

School districts if the renters care about IUSD would be a reason to pay the premium. 3/2s are likely families with a kid or 2. Taking Tustin Ranch as an example, their school district is great too, but rentals are the same as Irvine if not more.
We are a family of 3 but I'm the youngest at 36 y.o. ;)

Except the only private in OC worth anything is Sage Hill at $50K/yr, and it’s no Pasadena Polytechnic or Harvard Westlake. OC in fact sucks for private schools.
I looked up the school websites for fun and it was nice learning about some top high schools that are outside of Hawaii! ;)

With that budget you would then need to value the cost of living in Irvine versus a closer by city like Tustin/Lake Forest for example. How much value do you gain by being in Irvine versus a neighboring city? How much can you save by living in a neighboring city of Irvine?
Would you say Lake Forest is on par as far as crime rates go with the average of Irvine and Tustin combined? I have a feeling it's not as "safe" there?

We currently pay $3.1k in a nice 3/2 condo in East Honolulu so $4k would be quite the nearly impossible stretch for us unfortunately...
Are you forced to move to OC for work? If not, keep living in Hawaii and save the $1500 a month of rent you would otherwise need to pocket out and throw your kids to Punahou/Iolani.

Except the only private in OC worth anything is Sage Hill at $50K/yr, and it’s no Pasadena Polytechnic or Harvard Westlake. OC in fact sucks for private schools.
Well if you want to go to the harvards of schools then I guess you gotta pay for it right? Let’s be real guys; school is teaching you stuff that doesn’t differ that much between schools. Sure there are probably teachers that are forced to care otherwise they get fired in private but in the end, how many ways are we teaching kids to calculate 1+1?

Burglars seem to be very attracted to Irvine....maybe because of the idea that Asians are rich and cooperative?
I keep seeing arrest reports about burglars coming from LA or IE to burgle houses in Irvine.

I wonder if Irvine attracts burglars more than other cities.

Is it really a safer area? I'd seen quite a few incidents on the crime maps before.
That’s because Irvine prevents crimes from being put in the news. Bunch of crimes happen in Irvine but are thrown under the rug. It’s been mentioned many times here on the forum.

I can tell you from living in Lake Forest for 2 years now that the types of crimes you see are mostly package thieves… it’s all over the states and not only prone to Lake Forest….

TBH if you have no kids there should really be no reason why you need to live in Irvine unless you have the money to do so. But with $3100 I don’t know if you can live in Irvine. I would instead look at other areas that are close to Irvine.

That’s because Irvine prevents crimes from being put in the news. Bunch of crimes happen in Irvine but are thrown under the rug. It’s been mentioned many times here on the forum.

I can tell you from living in Lake Forest for 2 years now that the types of crimes you see are mostly package thieves… it’s all over the states and not only prone to Lake Forest….

TBH if you have no kids there should really be no reason why you need to live in Irvine unless you have the money to do so. But with $3100 I don’t know if you can live in Irvine. I would instead look at other areas that are close to Irvine.
Wow, that's really good to know! What is the best way to thwart package thieves? I imagine just a camera isn't going to be 100% effective in reclaiming stolen packages... how about those really heavy package drop-off container bins by the front door that thieves can't carry? ;DD

Wow, that's really good to know! What is the best way to thwart package thieves? I imagine just a camera isn't going to be 100% effective in reclaiming stolen packages... how about those really heavy package drop-off container bins by the front door that thieves can't carry? ;DD
It doesn’t happen that often. It’s been some time since I’ve been living in the rock but my dad told me even in east Honolulu it happens at times. Nothing to really worry about. Tell Amazon it’s stolen and they will send another one to you.

It doesn’t happen that often. It’s been some time since I’ve been living in the rock but my dad told me even in east Honolulu it happens at times. Nothing to really worry about. Tell Amazon it’s stolen and they will send another one to you.
Interesting! ;) Thanks for the help & insights!

We currently pay $3.1k in a nice 3/2 condo in East Honolulu so $4k would be quite the nearly impossible stretch for us unfortunately...
You may find this useful superballamy. It's a live link, updating itself automatically the 1st of every month and shows the average rental price for a 3 bedroom 2 bath in Irvine and neighboring cities Tustin, Santa Ana and Lake Forest. You'll notice it doesn't display anything for Tustin last month ... that's because there weren't any 3 bedroom/2 baths that rented in June. I think it'll be helpful since you track local rental prices monthly - https://crmls.stats.10kresearch.com/infoserv/s-v1/5vKq-Vab

Last edited:
You may find this useful superballamy. It's a live link, updating itself automatically the 1st of every month and shows the average rental price for a 3 bedroom 2 bath in Irvine and neighboring cities Tustin, Santa Ana and Lake Forest. You'll notice it doesn't display anything for Tustin last month ... that's because there weren't 3 any bedroom/2 baths that rented in June. I think it'll be helpful since you track local rental prices monthly - https://crmls.stats.10kresearch.com/infoserv/s-v1/5vKq-Vab
Thanks for the link, @Raymond! It's a very interesting chart, especially with the recent spike and dip back down in Santa Ana's rental prices. ;)

Thanks for the link, @Raymond! It's a very interesting chart, especially with the recent spike and dip back down in Santa Ana's rental prices. ;)

Using average rental rates can be tricky if you get some outlier rental closings so it'd best to look at median rental rates as you'll less bump graphs. I do about 8-10 rental listings a year and I can tell you that the primo stuff in good locations that are upgraded fly off the market at or above asking rents but the vanilla stuff sits a bit and have been flattish in the past 6-12 months.

Using average rental rates can be tricky if you get some outlier rental closings so it'd best to look at median rental rates as you'll less bump graphs. I do about 8-10 rental listings a year and I can tell you that the primo stuff in good locations that are upgraded fly off the market at or above asking rents but the vanilla stuff sits a bit and have been flattish in the past 6-12 months.
Hi @usctrojancpa -- thanks for your insights! What do you consider to be the vanilla as far as rentals in Irvine/Tustin go? I see some Woodbridge homes sitting now and those would be great to have in November/December! ;)

Hi @usctrojancpa -- thanks for your insights! What do you consider to be the vanilla as far as rentals in Irvine/Tustin go? I see some Woodbridge homes sitting now and those would be great to have in November/December! ;)

Vanilla rentals are ones that have no upgrades or old/outdated upgrades, older and bad floor plans, and small yards and/or not great locations within a neighborhood.

Vanilla rentals are ones that have no upgrades or old/outdated upgrades, older and bad floor plans, and small yards and/or not great locations within a neighborhood.
That doesn't sound too bad at all for our needs... we don't even need a yard, and we like Woodbridge/Westpark as well as neighborhoods in or near Tustin. :) Thanks for your comforting insight, Martin! ;) Best regards & wishing you a good week ahead.

Back