Stonegate Vs. Pavilion Park

bones said:
The only compelling thing (to me) about SG is the on site elementary.
While on this subject... I think they told me that the elementary school for PP is Canyon View Elem. That's an inconvenient drive from PP.

Stonegate:
Pros:
1) Location is slightly better, I mean this neighborhood is literally 2 streets over and separated by Palmeras apts
2) Big plus is the Elementary School, love walking the kiddos to school (walking distance)
3) Pocket Parks around the neighborhood with a sports park
4) Irvine Pacific keeping price up :) if you are already a homeowner

Cons:
1) A lot smaller home for value, virtually no back yard, homes still feels attached, $700k StoneGate attached homes for 1800 sq foot on market for over 30 days
2) Style of home is cookie cutter and very bland (Cambria is attached re-hash of San Mateo), California Court kills interaction with other neighbors other than your court, I've never seen a tag football game in a new Irvine neighborhood
3) Littered with condos and neighborhood mix of incomes (400k condos to 1.3 mil homes), Santa Clara and Cambria homes line up Irvine Blvd from main entry to StoneGate but the 1 mil homes are surrounded intermixed with the other ones

Pavilion Park:
Pros:
1) Neighborhood and streets seem wider and entryway to neighborhood is the large park
2) All Detached and SFRs, thus keeping value constant without variation
3) Homes layout designed to interact with neighborhood.  Every builder explained that Five Points wanted to have patios in the front with street access, driveways similar to every neighborhood other than Irvine (Birch Trail was courtyard and a few homes in RoundTree)
4) Home values are pretty good, 2500 sq ft home w 4 Bd and den start at 850k, I'll take one.

Cons:
1)  1 Large Park only
2)  Closer to 133 but then you can say that about Laguna Altura
3) Farther from elementary and high schools
4) Some say land was on Air Base but Pavilion Park was on farming land
5) I keep hearing Landfill but that is reserved for the Portola Springs haters :)

irvinehomeowner said:
I'm with paperboy, I also believe in the more land equals more value but that has to be tempered with the location.

A 1 acre lot in Riverside is worth less than a detached condo in Irvine. :)

But since Stonegate and PP are very close to each other... land > location on this one.

If you look at an appraisal...the large lot adds something like $10K to $20K difference.

irvinehomeowner said:
bones said:
The only compelling thing (to me) about SG is the on site elementary.
While on this subject... I think they told me that the elementary school for PP is Canyon View Elem. That's an inconvenient drive from PP.

It is but Canyon View is really good (Northwood Pointe).  What ever new elementary PP gets in the future will not likely be as good as Canyon View.

Here are similar adds from IP:

* Driveway from Cambria/San Mateo on some lots were $30-$40k add on
* Bigger back yards were a $10-15k add on to Cambria homes
*Laguna Altura backyards were a $60k add on for both driveway and backyard

So the argument of having a smaller back yard is better wouldn't apply because you pay for it in the price, right?

If you get a backyard for the same price as a home without one, why wouldn't you take the one with a backyard and a driveway.....example Marigold Plan 3 vs Springhouse Plan 1.

Irvinecommuter said:
If you look at an appraisal...the large lot adds something like $10K to $20K difference.

I don't put too much weight into these appraisal values.  I was only given a 5k premium for having a 4 bdrm house instead of a 3 bdrm house with similar sq ft.

SG curb appeal is due to TIC and their lack of concern to add some character to the neighborhood.  i think because the PP project is being managed by a different company you'll see that character people are looking for.

woodburyowner said:
Irvinecommuter said:

I don't put too much weight into these appraisal values.  I was only given a 5k premium for having a 4 bdrm house instead of a 3 bdrm house with similar sq ft.

It matters when the guy/gal buying the house needs financing.

FranchisePlr said:
Here are similar adds from IP:

* Driveway from Cambria/San Mateo on some lots were $30-$40k add on
* Bigger back yards were a $10-15k add on to Cambria homes
*Laguna Altura backyards were a $60k add on for both driveway and backyard

So the argument of having a smaller back yard is better wouldn't apply because you pay for it in the price, right?

If you get a backyard for the same price as a home without one, why wouldn't you take the one with a backyard and a driveway.....example Marigold Plan 3 vs Springhouse Plan 1.

Driveway is definitely a difference maker...so is a SFR v. a condo.  But most of the houses in PP are at SFR levels for SG so they both have driveways.

The backyard does add value but it's not a significant increase after you factor in landscaping and maintenance.

bones said:
Irvinecommuter said:
paperboyNC said:
In the long run land is more valuable than the house so I'd prefer PP due to the larger lot sizes. At the moment Stonegate is more centrally located but once the whole Great Park retail and schools are built they might be more tied in that regard.

slightly flawed in that developed land is more valuable.  The majority of the value of the home comes from the enclosed structure.  The bigger yard is a plus but it's not super significant.  Factoring in the extra cost of landscaping and maintenance, I think it's a wash.

I have no facts to base this by I think SG will be worth more $/square feet vs. PP in 10 years.

I love these threads. Everyone ends up saying "my village is better".  I'm looking to buy in one or the other. The only compelling thing (to me) about SG is the on site elementary. Everything else I either don't care about or I think PP is superior.
+1. 

OCgasman said:
bones said:
Irvinecommuter said:
paperboyNC said:
In the long run land is more valuable than the house so I'd prefer PP due to the larger lot sizes. At the moment Stonegate is more centrally located but once the whole Great Park retail and schools are built they might be more tied in that regard.

slightly flawed in that developed land is more valuable.  The majority of the value of the home comes from the enclosed structure.  The bigger yard is a plus but it's not super significant.  Factoring in the extra cost of landscaping and maintenance, I think it's a wash.

I have no facts to base this by I think SG will be worth more $/square feet vs. PP in 10 years.

I love these threads. Everyone ends up saying "my village is better".  I'm looking to buy in one or the other. The only compelling thing (to me) about SG is the on site elementary. Everything else I either don't care about or I think PP is superior.
+1.
PP will have its own (shared) elementary school very soon call Portola Spring Elementary school.  Should be very close to PP and PS. 

Irvinecommuter said:
NYT said:
Not having lived in either place but having toured model homes in both, I prefer the variety of SFRs in PP, much more of a neighborhood feel. Additionally, I find SG horrible-appearing, landscape-wise. It is about as sterile (eg boring) as landscaping can get. Even other Irvine Company neighborhoods (Woodbury and Portola Springs nearby) aren't so monotone.  Landscape-wise, the only thing I don't like about PP are the black walls; I don't really get those at all, and how they fit in with the neighborhood.

Woodbury looked pretty much like SG when it first opened.  You need time for the vegetation to grow in.

SG has been open for several years now, and the older parts don't look much better than the newer parts. PP has been open for 2 months now, and already looks way better. SG is not the same as Woodbury, even discounting for the immature landscape. There's just not the variety of trees that Woodbury has.

ak said:
OCgasman said:
bones said:
Irvinecommuter said:
paperboyNC said:

+1.
PP will have its own (shared) elementary school very soon call Portola Spring Elementary school.  Should be very close to PP and PS.

Is the new elementary in PS going to be located where it is walkable from PP??  It's such a hastle to drop off/pick up kids.  You can walk your kids to SG elementary and Jeffrey middle school (via JOST) from SG which is a +++.  I am really looking forward to how JOST will end up after it is completed next year.  I hope they don't make those bridges really ugly.

bones said:
Goriot said:
ak said:

Is the new elementary in PS going to be located where it is walkable from PP??  It's such a hastle to drop off/pick up kids.  You can walk your kids to SG elementary and Jeffrey middle school (via JOST) from SG which is a +++.  I am really looking forward to how JOST will end up after it is completed next year.  I hope they don't make those bridges really ugly.

If PP is going to go to PS elementary, then it is easily walkable for the folks living in the Rosemist/Sagewood (north) tracts.  Those homes are right on the corner of Portola Parkway/Ridge Valley.  The proposed elementary school is at Portola Springs/Portola Pkwy.  You wouldn't even need to cross over Portola Pkwy to get to it - it's a straight shot. 

But I heard that the GP is getting its own elementary school at Irvine Blvd and the 133 (basically across the street from PP).  Not sure if that's true and when it's supposed to open.

Bones - How is your home shopping going? Are you leaning towards Sagewood PP or Arcadia SG? 

OCgasman said:
bones said:
Irvinecommuter said:
paperboyNC said:

+1.
+2

NYT said:
Irvinecommuter said:
NYT said:
Not having lived in either place but having toured model homes in both, I prefer the variety of SFRs in PP, much more of a neighborhood feel. Additionally, I find SG horrible-appearing, landscape-wise. It is about as sterile (eg boring) as landscaping can get. Even other Irvine Company neighborhoods (Woodbury and Portola Springs nearby) aren't so monotone.  Landscape-wise, the only thing I don't like about PP are the black walls; I don't really get those at all, and how they fit in with the neighborhood.

Woodbury looked pretty much like SG when it first opened.  You need time for the vegetation to grow in.

SG has been open for several years now, and the older parts don't look much better than the newer parts. PP has been open for 2 months now, and already looks way better. SG is not the same as Woodbury, even discounting for the immature landscape. There's just not the variety of trees that Woodbury has.
+1

Back