Stock picks

Elon is a brilliant entrepreneur, a technological gifted mind and goals.

I am down play the stock valuation and the current worth of the company pricing. If it get to 200, it might be ok to buy. There is a lot of electric coming.

TSLA price today is fairly stable so far, but am not touching it for now.

Putting in SSO limit orders $70-$50 covering DOW 26,600-23,500.
AAPL $100-$80.

Now I can go eat lunch without having my eyeballs glued to the stock ticker.

momopi said:
TSLA price today is fairly stable so far, but am not touching it for now.

Putting in SSO limit orders $70-$50 covering DOW 26,600-23,500.
AAPL $100-$80.

Now I can go eat lunch without having my eyeballs glued to the stock ticker.

Tesla did not get into the S&P as many expected.

aquabliss said:
Compressed-Village said:
Jim Rogers ?sometimes do nothing and watch is the right thing to do?

Did he steal that from Bogle ?Don?t do something, just stand there.?

Do something by anticipate the up/down. Watch which sector crash harder, than the other. Precious metal seem to hold up well

It's worth noting that in 2018, a year before John C Bogle's passing, Vanguard decided to remove S&P 500 fund from their employee's retirement plan, instead recommending total stock market index fund.

Fast forward to present day, we can see how the S&P 500 is slowly being dominated by top tech stocks (FANG) which is driving the index's recent gains this year.  In many ways the S&P 500 is no longer well diversified and Vanguard saw it coming a mile away.

Regarding the buy and hold method, I think it's fine if you invested in broad market index or have someone like Warren Buffet & pals managing your money.  But it's potentially suicidal to chase the hottest stock and pray that it will go even higher in buy and hold.  People like to cite AAPL as a success but what about Yahoo?  It was once one of the most valuable companies and look where it went, along with many other has been's in the tech industry.  Sun Micro Systems for example lost 98% of its market value (!) by 2009 and managed to get itself sold to Oracle, guess buying MySQL in 2008 for $1 billion paid off.

I recall reading about the coffee can portfolio years ago and the assumption is that you'd buy numerous stocks based on certain criteria, including buying on dips (yes, timing the market to some extent) and hold for 10 years.  Some stocks will go bust while others will fly.  I think this is still relevant today even as company's lifespan on the S&P is shrinking.

Cares said:
Anyone get in on the SNOW IPO today?

More FOMO...just like Tesla, I wouldn't touch that with my enemy's money. Plenty of money to be made trading options on turd stocks like AAL, PLAY, SDC, SAVE, etc.

I considered buying until I saw it open at +100%... sheesh.  Even on overvalued stocks there's money to be made riding the wave, but I'm not buying this one on a green day.  Maybe I'll wait until a 10%+ drop day and throw some $ at it.

daedalus said:
Perhaps bought up by the same astute investors who bought up the stock offered by bankrupt Hertz.

No shocker that the stock is down below the IPO price where the opening trade is over 100% higher than the IPO price. Like I said, I wouldn't touch it with my worst emeny's money.  So many other rational stocks to make money on.

This was an interesting article below.  I was wonder how are folks positioning themselves until end of the year.  If folks are to believe this article, what would be the best way to position oneself for a trade?  Put options on one of the ETFs? Play the volatility index? Short a particular sector and go long another?  Just curious how everyone is trying to game the next several months as I expect there to be significant volatility which can present some great opportunities.  Thanks.
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/s...says-veteran-trader-larry-williams-2020-09-18

Logik said:
This was an interesting article below.  I was wonder how are folks positioning themselves until end of the year.  If folks are to believe this article, what would be the best way to position oneself for a trade?  Put options on one of the ETFs? Play the volatility index? Short a particular sector and go long another?  Just curious how everyone is trying to game the next several months as I expect there to be significant volatility which can present some great opportunities.  Thanks.
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/s...says-veteran-trader-larry-williams-2020-09-18

If you never done options and want to get your feet wets, start with simulations.
https://ragingbull.com/options/options-trading-simulator/

aquabliss said:
Irvinehomeseeker said:
aquabliss said:
I think AAPL is ripe (no pun intended) for a 20% price drop, then I'll back up the truck in the $380's and buy buy buy for the next run-up.
It's just been going up despite the pandemic. Why do you think it can plummet 20%?

Who knows.  I read 3 articles from ?experts? on why the market snowballed today and they all had different explanations.  I have learned though to take a queue from historical fluctuations. 

If AAPL drops under $100 next week, will definitely be buying a decent amount.  The hard part though is to stay the course if it continues to drop to 90, mid 80s, etc.  I?ve also learned that buying after a 20-25% drop and holding on through the lows has made me a lot of money over the last 10 years, and I?m ready to do it again.

AAPL never quite got under $100 but I bought some end of September around $115.  I?m not confident in this event tomorrow though, it could be Apples ?Battery Day? and stock could lose 10%.  If it drops under $110 this week, will be buying some more, I think it will slowly rise as they release iPhone pre-sale numbers and get closer to launch day.

Back