Stock picks

Compressed-Village said:
I will sit on the side line until Biden crash the market, later this year.  :)

Not at all. Trump is already crashing the market. His do nothing covid approach is not working.

Do not believe CNBC. The hosts are conservative except one. The young guy.

eyephone said:
Compressed-Village said:
I will sit on the side line until Biden crash the market, later this year.  :)

Not at all. Trump is already crashing the market. His do nothing covid approach is not working.

Do not believe CNBC. The hosts are conservative except one. The young guy.

I agree with you. All that money pushed /pumped in and still in shiat holes. The FED and the rest are raining / spending money like a drunken sailor. When Biden comes in to put a stop to this corporate welfare?s, hedge funds guys then wake up and smell the real coffee.

momopi said:
?_?  Why has WDC (Western Digital) and STX (Segate) stocks not recovered?

Don't they both operate in a commodity market?  That would mean it's not a 'sexy' stock pick, even if they're making good $$. 

I'm eyeing WDC (owns Sandisk) STX and HPE.  People working from home still need hard drives and SSD's, and companies still need enterprise services.

HPQ and XRX are cheap but people working from home rarely needs to print office documents.  I think with what happened in recent months more people will migrate from print documents to electronic docs.

momopi said:
I'm eyeing WDC (owns Sandisk) STX and HPE.  People working from home still need hard drives and SSD's, and companies still need enterprise services.

HPQ and XRX are cheap but people working from home rarely needs to print office documents.  I think with what happened in recent months more people will migrate from print documents to electronic docs.

This is why stocks like DOCU have performed so well lately.  That stock is on fire.  I'm kicking myself for not getting in when it was about 130/share. 

paydawg said:
momopi said:

This is why stocks like DOCU have performed so well lately.  That stock is on fire.  I'm kicking myself for not getting in when it was about 130/share. 

I think DOCU is a great stock to buy (earlier) for the quarantine.  But I have some doubts regarding the long term outlook.  I've used DOCU for real estate docs a number of times and ran into bugs and issues, but those are easily fixed.  What concerns me is how the company makes money and the low barrier of entry in this segment.

Consider, it may be a large task to service e-sign documents for many segments, but a competitor only needs to service one (or more).  For example, someone else -- such as redfin, zillow, trulia, realtor.com, opendoor, or corelogic could come up a competing e-doc service specific to real estate and eat DOCU's market share.  Same applies for other market segments.  What if Ernst & Young and Experian wanted a piece of the action?  I don't believe DOCU has high level of customer loyalty.  Also unlike netflix, it's not like you can have exclusive license on common RE purchase or legal forms.

I don't do stocks, but my 401k looks to be almost caught up with the current. There was couple 5 figures lost just within a month or two when FED lowered the interest rates and with Covid-19 stuff started exploding, but those lost figures gained back now. I wonder how much Newsom's attempt to destroy the economy will work this time.

Mety said:
I don't do stocks, but my 401k looks to be almost caught up with the current. There was couple 5 figures lost just within a month or two when FED lowered the interest rates and with Covid-19 stuff started exploding, but those lost figures gained back now. I wonder how much Newsom's attempt to destroy the economy will work this time.

Looking back, one of the financial mistakes or trade-off's I made was not making larger contributions to my 401(k) and ESPP.  Had I maxed out my contributions to both 5-6 years ago, that account would be about $200,000 richer today.  Instead the money was spent on vacations and cruises.  So instead of +$200,000 in the account I ate sushi at Tsukiji fish market and have um...  pictures of northern lights and all you can eat crab buffet from Alaska.  @_@

momopi said:
Mety said:

Looking back, one of the financial mistakes or trade-off's I made was not making larger contributions to my 401(k) and ESPP.  Had I maxed out my contributions to both 5-6 years ago, that account would be about $200,000 richer today.  Instead the money was spent on vacations and cruises.  Instead of +$200,000 in the account I ate sushi at Tsukiji fish market and have um...  pictures of northern lights and all you can eat crab buffet from Alaska.  @_@

That sounds more like a trade-off than a financial mistake.  Some of those experiences are priceless.  I missed out on my opportunity to go to that fish market when I was in Tokyo for a week.  And seeing the northern lights is on my short-list of things I need to see before I'm gone. 

The photos bring back memories of my solo trip to Japan a few years ago.  Wish I had gone to Tsukiji, but I thought I had read somewhere that it already wasn't the same due to the imminent closure.  Plus I had no shortage of things to do and places to go, so I skipped it.  Because of life events I went in August, and it was miserably hot the whole time, but I still had a great trip.  The only negative thing I can say about Japan, other than the weather, is that it was exactly as I expected it would be. 

Sushi to sashimi wa oishiisou desu nee! 

paydawg said:
momopi said:

DOCU and Zoom....I should have bought that back in March.  Oh well, I'm making a ton on playing selling weekly American Airlines options (both calls and puts) due to the high implied volatility. And for those times I get pushed into going long or short the stock, I just sell covered calls or puts against that position and exit with a profit the next week.

irvinehomeowner said:
TSLA is going bonkers... where is morekaos and LL? :)

Back in the office after 2 weeks in Avalon...I still hate it, I'm neither long or short it but have traded through it.  Lots of other places to make money out there.

morekaos said:
irvinehomeowner said:
TSLA is going bonkers... where is morekaos and LL? :)

Back in the office after 2 weeks in Avalon...I still hate it, I'm neither long or short it but have traded through it.  Lots of other places to make money out there.

But what do you think of them as a company now? With the Model 3/Y releases, I think they are proving long term viability.

Despite Elon's shenanigans, they are still way out in front of the EV race.

Well remember AMZN collapsed to $6 after its first run before it went to $3000. Who the hell knows who survives.  All I know is TSLA looks mighty expensive using today's numbers.

OCtoSV said:
momopi said:
I went a little later in the morning to avoid the crowd:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/VnwpHCCmNCTmhq1n9
Did you stand in line for Daiwa? My first experience was in 2001, and I was hosted by a couple of Sumitomo Life Ins execs I had met at a bar the day before. 5:30am, dressed in suit and tie, pounding big Asahis with them before going to the office.

No, sadly we didn't have enough time.  We signed up with a budget tour package and had limited free days, but did find enough time to visit Shinjuku's piss alley (Omoide Yokocho) several times.  Interestingly, our local Japanese friend said it wasn't a place where single females went alone, and she had never visited the place until we took her.  Went to a back alley yakitori bar where local salaryman took OL's there to get drunk and carry her off after.
https://www.yelp.com/biz/piss-alley-新宿区

morekaos said:
Well remember AMZN collapsed to $6 after its first run before it went to $3000. Who the hell knows who survives.  All I know is TSLA looks mighty expensive using today's numbers.

I owned about $12K in AAPL stock back in the early 2000's.  Had I kept it it would have made me a LOT of money.  Unfortunately I was short on cash and needed the money for down payment on another condo.

I think if the iPhone had been released then, I'd have made more effort to kept the stock.  Ah well.

Back