Stainless steel pots and pan care

I have a set of all clad stainless steel also...I'm thoroughly impressed by the set but I just have a hard time keeping them shiny and new looking.

[quote author="ohnelly" date=1249530450]I have a set of all clad stainless steel also...I'm thoroughly impressed by the set but I just have a hard time keeping them shiny and new looking.</blockquote>

i use copper scouring pads for shiney-ness

[quote author="ohnelly" date=1249530450]I have a set of all clad stainless steel also...I'm thoroughly impressed by the set but I just have a hard time keeping them shiny and new looking.</blockquote>

Bar Keeper's Friend + elbow grease.

So the black Lodge cast iron pans are the preseasoned kind that I can use right away after buying? I had thought of buying them before but wasn't really sure about how to "season" them before using for the first time.

[quote author="green_cactus" date=1249545995][quote author="ohnelly" date=1249530450]I have a set of all clad stainless steel also...I'm thoroughly impressed by the set but I just have a hard time keeping them shiny and new looking.</blockquote>

Bar Keeper's Friend + elbow grease.</blockquote>

Bar keeper's friend and my mighty powerful elbow have confronted the cookware numerous times and most times we emerge victorious. But there are a few that I just haven't been able to get the pans in the shape that I want, either because I run out of patience or am too tired to deal with it. I have been impressed by the bar keeper's friend. It's a good product, and even combats the Irvine hard water stains on my stainless steel shower fixtures.

[quote author="fumbling" date=1249550584]So the black Lodge cast iron pans are the preseasoned kind that I can use right away after buying? I had thought of buying them before but wasn't really sure about how to "season" them before using for the first time.</blockquote>

Yes, the black ones are pre-seasoned. I think that is all you can find in the stores now since they introduced them in 2002. Right out of the box, it is ready to use but it won't have the same non-stick level as it does after you've used it for some time. But, the iron has already undergone the chemical reaction of oxidizing and forming magnetite, which is the black that you see.

[quote author="ohnelly" date=1249597790][quote author="green_cactus" date=1249545995][quote author="ohnelly" date=1249530450]I have a set of all clad stainless steel also...I'm thoroughly impressed by the set but I just have a hard time keeping them shiny and new looking.</blockquote>

Bar Keeper's Friend + elbow grease.</blockquote>

Bar keeper's friend and my mighty powerful elbow have confronted the cookware numerous times and most times we emerge victorious. But there are a few that I just haven't been able to get the pans in the shape that I want, either because I run out of patience or am too tired to deal with it. I have been impressed by the bar keeper's friend. It's a good product, and even combats the Irvine hard water stains on my stainless steel shower fixtures.</blockquote>

On some stubborn (but small) stains, I have successfully used a "magic eraser". Other options to consider are a bit of WD-40 (since it's an organic solvent) or a mild acid (Ketchup is recommended because of this). The more extreme route would be to spray some Easy-Off on it (although if you have aluminum on any pan surfaces it may eat into it) - this one is more of a desperate measure.

BTW - for the All Clad fans, it is on sale at Cooking.com at the moment

http://www.cooking.com/promos/onlinenewsletter.asp?a=cknw09030zh&s=b2016201701b&_rid=10000.402.1694178&_mid=10000&ref=http://news1.email-cooking.com/track?type=click&enid=bwfpbgluz2lkptewmdawjm1lc3nhz2vpzd02mdawjmrhdgfiyxnlawq9ndayjnnlcmlhbd0xmjm4nje5ndmxjmvtywlsawq9c3vsyw5azhvulm9yzyz1c2vyawq9mty5nde3oczlehryyt0mjiy=&&&2001&&&http://www.cooking.com/aff/a.asp?a=cknw09030zh&s=b2016201701b&_mid=10000&_rid=10000.402.1694178

Socal do you know anything about <a href="http://www.saladmaster.com/index/Products/WhyisTitaniumBetter.nws">Saladmaster</a> pots? One of my colleagues got suck into buying them at a house party. She claims they are better for you because the pots do not release chemicals into the food. They costs an arm and a leg at $3,000, though.

[quote author="Mcdonna1980" date=1251277133]Socal do you know anything about <a href="http://www.saladmaster.com/index/Products/WhyisTitaniumBetter.nws">Saladmaster</a> pots? One of my colleagues got suck into buying them at a house party. She claims they are better for you because the pots do not release chemicals into the food. They costs an arm and a leg at $3,000, though.</blockquote>

If you really want to eat healthy - go read this book. Facinating, and scientific (rather than the pseudoscientific trying to sell you something or lobby for the food industry as usual).

<A href="http://www.amazon.com/China-Study-Comprehensive-Nutrition-Implications/dp/1932100660/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1251252750&sr=8-1">The China Study: The Most Comprehensive Study of Nutrition Ever Conducted and the Startling Implications for Diet, Weight Loss and Long-term Health (Paperback)</A>

[quote author="Mcdonna1980" date=1251277133]Socal do you know anything about <a href="http://www.saladmaster.com/index/Products/WhyisTitaniumBetter.nws">Saladmaster</a> pots? One of my colleagues got suck into buying them at a house party. She claims they are better for you because the pots do not release chemicals into the food. They costs an arm and a leg at $3,000, though.</blockquote>

Interesting. I can't say I've ever had one or used one. I can see the benefits - lightweight and durable. I hear they're easy to clean. The price is a bit of a deterrent, though!

[quote author="SoCal78" date=1251285359] The price is a bit of a deterrent, though!</blockquote>

Considered your self forewarned incase you get a "cooking" party invite. For $3,000 the pots better do the cooking themselves. Funny thing is... We eat out every day at my office. So as my co-worker was justifying her cancer free pots I asked her about the other 1/2 of her meals made with the ? pots. She said the saladmaster pot people are sending her out a list of restaurant that use their pots. LOL

Holy Moley, for $3,000 those pots better provide a happy ending. Jeez. I have some Le Crueset that I really like.. but then Im cheap and bought them at the outlet, and from William Sonoma when they have been hugely on sale.

It is funny that they keep talking about how good is the titanium, but the cookwares are stainless steel. There is very little titanium in 316Ti stainless steel. There are several grades of stainless steels, and there are several varieties of 316. 316L, H, and the Ti version with a whopping half a percent of titanium that was designed to be used in chimney liner. I use CP-grade titanium for some of my hobby application, but for cooking, I stick with 304/316 SS, and use the money to pay off my mortgage. You live longer without mortgage.

[quote author="Astute Observer" date=1251343251]It is funny that they keep talking about how good is the titanium, but the cookwares are stainless steel. There is very little titanium in 316Ti stainless steel. There are several grades of stainless steels, and there are several varieties of 316. 316L, H, and the Ti version with a whopping half a percent of titanium that was designed to be used in chimney liner. I use CP-grade titanium for some of my hobby application, but for cooking, I stick with 304/316 SS, and use the money to pay off my mortgage. You live longer without mortgage.</blockquote>

What, you didn't get the memo!?!? ANYTHING with Ti in it is much better. Add some silver nano-particles on top of that and you have the ultimate material. :p

[quote author="green_cactus" date=1251350835][quote author="Astute Observer" date=1251343251]It is funny that they keep talking about how good is the titanium, but the cookwares are stainless steel. There is very little titanium in 316Ti stainless steel. There are several grades of stainless steels, and there are several varieties of 316. 316L, H, and the Ti version with a whopping half a percent of titanium that was designed to be used in chimney liner. I use CP-grade titanium for some of my hobby application, but for cooking, I stick with 304/316 SS, and use the money to pay off my mortgage. You live longer without mortgage.</blockquote>

What, you didn't get the memo!?!? ANYTHING with Ti in it is much better. Add some silver nano-particles on top of that and you have the ultimate material. :p</blockquote>

Why not just eat gold while your at it ?

<A href="http://www.thenational.ae/article/20090116/REVIEW/586413831/1008">http://www.thenational.ae/article/20090116/REVIEW/586413831/1008</A>

I would bring my sewage truck to anyone who eat gold leaves, and pump their septic tank for free. This is because elemental gold just come straight out of the other end. Make sure the gold leaves are 24k FDA-approved edible gold. I heard some use impure gold and suffer from issue with the debasing metals.

Now, if you try the gold into a compound, then your body can really absorb it. But too much of it, you will end up with chrysiasis.

Back