Spouse remarries after you die, yea or nay?

I put all of our assets in a trust that has a payment schedule to ensure she doesn't get remarried. What once belonged to qwerty, always belongs to qwerty.

qwerty said:
I put all of our assets in a trust that has a payment schedule to ensure she doesn't get remarried. What once belonged to qwerty, always belongs to qwerty.

How exactly would you structure that?  You can't condition a trust upon re-marriage.

And they can be in a long term relationship without having to marry,..
Not sure if scaring your spouse saying that you'll haunt them if they do get married would work, but that's also messed up.

Maybe you should ask yourself this question.

If your spouse died, will YOU remarry
  • if you are 20s
  • if you are 30s
  • if you are 40s
  • if you are 90s

Irvinecommuter said:
qwerty said:

How exactly would you structure that?  You can't condition a trust upon re-marriage.

I was kidding. I would hope she would remarry but I would make sure my kids are taken care off. Not that my wife would be dumb enough to let some other take our money but just in case. I joked with her that now that we have a son our daughter would not inherit anything because I didn't want her husband reaping the benefits of our hard work :)

qwerty said:
I joked with her that now that we have a son our daughter would not inherit anything

Woah, woah, back up! My copy of the birth announcement must have gotten lost in the mail PMs this time, unlike last time! I take it this happened recently? It's the first I've read of it. Then again, I only quickly scan / speed-read T.I. these days so maybe I missed it. Congratulations on the new addition to your family! 

SoCal said:
qwerty said:
I joked with her that now that we have a son our daughter would not inherit anything

Woah, woah, back up! My copy of the birth announcement must have gotten lost in the mail PMs this time, unlike last time! I take it this happened recently? It's the first I've read of it. Then again, I only quickly scan / speed-read T.I. these days so maybe I missed it. Congratulations on the new addition to your family! 

There's a qwertnito!

Congrats man!

Thanks everyone - he is almost two months. I thought one kid was a lot of work, two is a nightmare. My tv time is down to one hour a day :-(

qwerty said:
Thanks everyone - he is almost two months. I thought one kid was a lot of work, two is a nightmare. My tv time is down to one hour a day :-(

I thought the second one would be easier no?  Like a back up.  :)

Back