Solar Energy

[quote author="GoIllini" date=1249094972]I'm a fan of solar energy -- I own some FSLR solar energy stock.

But be careful when using a solar contractor's promises of energy savings. Perhaps you've heard the old saying, If you are trying to sell a hammer, everybody's problems look like nails. Unless your home faces the right direction, and there are no trees (now or in the future) obstructing their exposure, solar panels might not be your best energy saving investment. You need to keep them clean, too.

Typically, the best investment is additional insulation. Insulate the hot water heater, exposed hot water pipes, and the attic.

Don't overlook the air conditioner. If it's more than 10 years old, there is likely to be a short pay-back period to replace it with a new, high-efficiency unit. A good place for information is <a href="http://www.acdoctor.com/">this web site. </a> Of course, the web site is sponsored by an air conditioning equipment distributor (Watsco [WSO]), so the same hammer and nail rule applies.</blockquote>

Many of the things you mention were considerations during the past few years. We did the insulation thing 2 years ago, I guess that's the reason for our somewhat reduced usage, but it wasn't enough. The air conditioner is only 2 years old. The bottom line is my financial liability husband and his hobbies, as bk says. We are making sure that the savings are written into the contract and guaranteed, they will install more panels if we do not realize the savings they estimated.

I love the idea of solar panels and I would hope to be in a home that could utilize that technology so that it pays off in the long term.

I would also want to combo that with a plug-in electric car so that I could free myself somewhat from fossil fuels.

I'm not a green tree hugger... but free is free (well after the break points).

Maybe by the time I get back into home ownership, solar technology has come to a price point where the cost is reasonable. As for tax incentives... I do think that's a sales pitch as I believe there will always be gov help as we try to move to a more greener society.

As a fellow lightning-hog... good luck... and let us know what happens.

<A href="http://www.renewfund.com/node/102">http://www.renewfund.com/node/102</A>

But SolarCity is growing?and not because it has made a breakthrough in the design of solar panels. Rather, last year it developed a new model for selling the units, offering them for lease. Outside investors eager to take advantage of the tax credits and rebates associated with solar installation provide the cash, and homeowners are able to buy the electricity produced at a discount. "Customers pay no money down, and they save money from day one," says CEO Lyndon Rive. "People want to go solar, but they don't like to spend $30,000."

Here is something worth considering. Build a detached studio for your husband's hobby with quality insulation and refrigeration storage. Have it situated at a sunny part of your yard optimized for solar panels just to run the studio independently. You may not need panels for your homes.

It does not make sense to run UV light and heater for the creatures while the equipment generates heat that you are trying to cool off by running air in the same enclosed environment. This cycle of balance will never end. By eliminating the heat source you may run your air less frequently.

Chinese medicine philosophy is not to bandage the symptoms but cure the source that causes the illness.

Solar is still too expensive to install and the rebate does not balance the expediture. If for some reason you need to sell your home soon the detached studio would worth more to the buyers than the panels on the roof. A studio could run less than the cost of the panel installations.

[quote author="Anonymous" date=1249096527]<A href="http://www.renewfund.com/node/102">http://www.renewfund.com/node/102</A>

But SolarCity is growing?and not because it has made a breakthrough in the design of solar panels. Rather, last year it developed a new model for selling the units, offering them for lease. Outside investors eager to take advantage of the tax credits and rebates associated with solar installation provide the cash, and homeowners are able to buy the electricity produced at a discount. "Customers pay no money down, and they save money from day one," says CEO Lyndon Rive. "People want to go solar, but they don't like to spend $30,000."</blockquote>

Having checked out the options several years ago, I was amazed at how the price has dropped and how many tax incentives and rebates there are.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1249097145]Here is something worth considering. Build a detached studio for your husband's hobby with quality insulation and refrigeration storage. Have it situated at a sunny part of your yard optimized for solar panels just to run the studio independently. You may not need panels for your homes.

It does not make sense to run UV light and heater for the creatures while the equipment generates heat that you are trying to cool off by running air in the same enclosed environment. This cycle of balance will never end. By eliminating the heat source you may run your air less frequently.

Chinese medicine philosophy is not to bandage the symptoms but cure the source that causes the illness.

Solar is still too expensive to install and the rebate does not balance the expediture. If for some reason you need to sell your home soon the detached studio would worth more to the buyers than the panels on the roof. A studio could run less than the cost of the panel installations.</blockquote>

We actually had an architect draw up plans for a detached studio, although it was going to be where my mother lived. Solar panels will run us 10.5K after rebates and tax incentives, a studio is far more expensive and the hassle of the permits is unbearable. When we had iguanas, they lived in the garage but our enjoyment of them and their treatment was much reduced due to their location, out of sight, out of mind.

Back