So what does one do with shrimp paste?

You know, I'm pretty sure we've talked about this before. If you tried the search function, I'm sure you would find it. Not everyone has the time to recreate the wheel when some newbie has the same question as many others have had in the past.

Shrimp paste is a brownish reddish blackish paste very important to much of South East Asian cooking. The use of shrimp paste in its current form is relatively new, as the chilli in it must have come after the European discovery of the Americas. It?s used as a seasoning and also as a base for many soup dishes and stews.

Duh, so obvious....

Import food web site charges $4.85 for that cheap shrimp paste, don't buy it there. You can get the exact same product at Ranch 99 for $2.

[quote author="EvaLSeraphim" date=1207863729]You know, I'm pretty sure we've talked about this before. If you tried the search function, I'm sure you would find it. Not everyone has the time to recreate the wheel when some newbie has the same question as many others have had in the past.</blockquote>Searchcop,

I used search and didn't like the answers. That was a thread about yellow fever. This one is about shrimp paste! :)

Rotted shrimps not good enough to be sold nor to be dried are all crushed into a stinky paste. Much are made in villages by the wives of fishermen. Most of the bad shrimps were scattered in a 6" deep pool of salt as preservative. The women then get into the pool and stump and mix the shrimps with their bare feet like crushing grapes in the vineyard. The conditions are filthy and dirty as flies and maggots congregated over the rotten shrimps. Luckily the salt is also a germ killing agent. The foul smell is from the ammonia and nitrate from the decompositioning of shrimps.

The process is awful but a quarter of the world's population love it. Would you like to hear about fish sauce? Most shrimp paste are made in villages near rivers and ponds where the environment is quite humid and shrimps are easily spoiled.

<span style="color: purple;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">bkshopr,

Thank you for that <em>delightful</em> culinary interlude.</span></span> :sick:

[quote author="effenheimer" date=1207840872]So what does one do with shrimp paste?</blockquote>
In your case Effen, I would suggest it as a personal lubricant. :-/

sweet, the new rankings went into effect!

remember what you said, skek.

"Of course, if I end up in an IAC rental, I?m going to go on a nonsense posting binge until I at least get a starter home."

It is used for smearing on door knobs in foreclosed REOs that you are interested in bidding on. It worked for me in Denver during the 1988 crash.

Great idea. We should use it for caulking the cracked tiles, flooring and walls at Brightwater at Huntington Beach.

Back