Shutters

irvinehomeowner said:
We have those honeycomb shades and I personally don't like them.

It's nice that they filter the light but unless you don't raise them, no air comes through and they don't totally black out light either.

I prefer regular blinds or shutters... plus I think they look better, even with drapes.

I don't like my blackout honeycomb shades either.  The light filtering ones look great.  Are your blackout honeycomb shades from Hunter Douglas?  Are they made of metal valences or plastic??

ZeroLot said:
lnc said:
That's pretty cool, kind of like the Silhouette from Hunter Douglas but with complete black out future.  How are the prices for these Combi shades?  Looks like they are more expensive than shutters.

I'm not sure if they are more expensive than shutters.  My neighbors, who are very budget conscious, got those for their sliding doors and giant windows which were too big (maybe too pricey) for shutters. 

I have very budget conscious neighbors ... the one with the Combi Shutters are painting their own interior and doing a very good job doing so.  I have another one down the street ripping our his own carpet and installing his own hardwood floors. 

It's really nice as we exchange a lot of great DIY ideas.  ;D

There is a shop named JDX in H-Mart on Alton and also in Zion on Irvine Blvd.  They carry these types of shades.  We are considering of using it and was quoted for about $200ish per shade (for the usual size of window).

Has anyone tried ordering their shutters from Costco? My wife had both Window Decorators and Drapery Works (through Costco) come and give a quote and the prices are almost double through Costco. They use Graber though for roller shades and shutters. Not sure about WD's quality. They said their shutters are made locally and take 3-4 weeks, but Drapery Works says local ones are inferior quality and that we shouldn't trust them. Graber ones take 6-8 weeks and are imported. WD shutters are polycore and Graber's composite wood. Anyone know the difference in quality?

I asked every guy I got an estimate from (4 total) which is better and the ones who sold the poly said the poly is better.  The ones who sold the wood said the wood is better.  Go figure.

I ended up going poly but I think both that and the bass wood are fine.  I'm currently 4 weeks through my 7 week waiting period for the imported shutters.  Tired of waiting!!!

GH said:
Has anyone tried ordering their shutters from Costco? My wife had both Window Decorators and Drapery Works (through Costco) come and give a quote and the prices are almost double through Costco. They use Graber though for roller shades and shutters. Not sure about WD's quality. They said their shutters are made locally and take 3-4 weeks, but Drapery Works says local ones are inferior quality and that we shouldn't trust them. Graber ones take 6-8 weeks and are imported. WD shutters are polycore and Graber's composite wood. Anyone know the difference in quality?

There are pros and cons to the poly and real wood stuff.  Real wood.. well.. looks real obviously.  Looks a bit nicer.. but guys like me can't tell the difference.  Wood does chip easier and it will wear more.  The poly stuff should last a bit longer but again.. doesn't have the real wood look if you are gunning for that. 

aquabliss said:
I asked every guy I got an estimate from (4 total) which is better and the ones who sold the poly said the poly is better.  The ones who sold the wood said the wood is better.  Go figure.

I ended up going poly but I think both that and the bass wood are fine.  I'm currently 4 weeks through my 7 week waiting period for the imported shutters.  Tired of waiting!!!

Also funny thing about that.  Both wood guys and poly guys will say that the other one will fade.  lol. 

Why does everyone here choose shutters? 

at first, I was going with shutters too.  But after some research, I decide to have honeycomb shade.  It is better for insulation and it looks better.

Anyway, I order couple sample online and I should receive them next week.

One finally thing, I called Kim Blind and she gave me a quote for 5400 (wood), 5800 (Composite wood) for 27 windows.  After I want to switch to Honeycomb shade and I ask her for a price quote.  She agreed to send me a price quote, but never send to me.  I emailed her couple times, but she never responded. 

yaliu07 said:
Why does everyone here choose shutters? 

at first, I was going with shutters too.  But after some research, I decide to have honeycomb shade.  It is better for insulation and it looks better.

Anyway, I order couple sample online and I should receive them next week.

One finally thing, I called Kim Blind and she gave me a quote for 5400 (wood), 5800 (Composite wood) for 27 windows.  After I want to switch to Honeycomb shade and I ask her for a price quote.  She agreed to send me a price quote, but never send to me.  I emailed her couple times, but she never responded.

To each their own. My old neighbor got a few honey comb shades and absolutely regrets them. Wish she has done the whole house with shutters. IMO they do look more fancy... But just my opinion. You probably feel that way with honeycomb.

The whole upstairs of my house is done in wood shutters.  However, when we went to put in window treatments in the family room, we decided with roman shades so that we can roll them up or pull them down depending on what type of lighting we want behind our couch.

My wife and I still make jokes about how our first realtor would always make comments about any house we went into that had shutters.  Even when we purchased our most recent house years later, we still joked about, "Wow this house even has shutters!"

The perception with Shutters is that when you sell your home with nice shutters the new home owner won't tear them out for different window treatments, that's my opinion. 
I've noticed alot of different companies mentioned for shutters:  but i went with OC shutters and I think they are the best value for the cost.  Not the cheapest/expensive.  Built in California and made well. 

I'm finally having my shutters installed this weekend.  I got a pretty good price from my shutter guy but didn't want to recommend him here until the job is complete.  I got Poly Shutters on about 25 windows, and I'm doing roller shades on the last few just to shake it up a bit.  Will give the info here next week if all goes well.

Shutters got installed from Wondow decorators. Looks and feels great. I would definitely recommend them to others.  Maybe you can see some quality difference with other brands... I can't. These look like they are great quality shutters.

I actually think a single shutter over multiple windows is okay.

When closed, it looks like one huge window, when opened you get the multi-window effect.

We have windows that have a second window above a main window and I'm thinking of just putting one huge shutter over it.

jmoney74 said:
Shutters got installed from Wondow decorators. Looks and feels great. I would definitely recommend them to others.  Maybe you can see some quality difference with other brands... I can't. These look like they are great quality shutters.

Pictures! Pictures!!

qwerty said:
jmoney74 said:

Pictures! Pictures!!

Home improvement fetish

IMG_20140523_133955_143.jpg

Back