Shutters

We were told by Daniel at Shutters King that our very large window frames (at Saratoga there are two ~10' wide window frames containing 3 windows) could not have shutters because they were too wide.

We've since seen two of our new neighbors have shutters installed in the same exact location. I spoke with one of them and they simply installed a vertical wood beam over the frame in between each pair of windows.

We spent $1400 getting custom curtains made for our giant windows because we were told shutters were impossible there.

I'm really bothered that Shutters King is just incapable about installing shutters that way. It's ridiculously unprofessional, especially since it seems it's a routine thing for every other company.

Now we have to contemplate if we want to pay even more to add shutters underneath our custom curtains...  :mad:

lucky said:
We were told by Daniel at Shutters King that our very large window frames (at Saratoga there are two ~10' wide window frames containing 3 windows) could not have shutters because they were too wide.

We've since seen two of our new neighbors have shutters installed in the same exact location. I spoke with one of them and they simply installed a vertical wood beam over the frame in between each pair of windows.

We spent $1400 getting custom curtains made for our giant windows because we were told shutters were impossible there.

I'm really bothered that Shutters King is just incapable about installing shutters that way. It's ridiculously unprofessional, especially since it seems it's a routine thing for every other company.

Now we have to contemplate if we want to pay even more to add shutters underneath our custom curtains...  :mad:

I personally think drapes look allot better than shutters. Mostly because drapes can be drawn open to allow the maximum amount of light to fill a room, while shutters filter out allot of light while open.

JasonTheArtist said:
lucky said:

I personally think drapes look allot better than shutters. Mostly because drapes can be drawn open to allow the maximum amount of light to fill a room, while shutters filter out allot of light while open.

This is a very valid matter of opinion, and we feel the same way. It's just the fact that we were effectively forced into buying drapes (and at a very large expense) that's disturbing. We are happy with them, but we really should have had the choice of shutters available. :-\

JasonTheArtist said:

Shutters can be fully opened (swing them open to let max light in) and also shutters can do split so let the light open on the top but close the bottom. We did shutters above our master bath that is pretty wide across (60") with split louvres.

In that situation my wife felt since I don't look like superman, she insisted that we be able to close the bottom half but leave the top open :). Hard to do that with drapes.

Shutters are pretty versatile. For the real large spans, typically they install another vertical bar. Sometimes you need to use poly material cause real wood is too heavy.

PenguinOrange said:
JasonTheArtist said:

Shutters can we fully opened (swing them open) and also shutters can do split so let the light open on the top but close the bottom. We did shutters above our master bath that is pretty wide across (60") with split louvres.

In that situation my wife felt since I don't look like superman, she insisted that we be able to close the bottom half but leave the top open :). Hard to do that with drapes.

Shutters are pretty versatile. For the real large spans, typically they install another vertical bar. Sometimes you need to use poly material cause real wood is too heavy.

Shutters are great for areas where you want more privacy for the reasons you state. I guess I'm speaking of areas like a great room where you (most of the time) are wearing clothes.

JasonTheArtist said:
PenguinOrange said:
JasonTheArtist said:

Shutters can we fully opened (swing them open) and also shutters can do split so let the light open on the top but close the bottom. We did shutters above our master bath that is pretty wide across (60") with split louvres.

Shutters are great for areas where you want more privacy for the reasons you state. I guess I'm speaking of areas like a great room where you (most of the time) are wearing clothes.

We put shutters in our great room. Ahem not implying anything :)...

Tyler Durden said:
I wonder if someone was in terrible shape, if their neighbors would pay for their shutters - just to not see them parade around their great room in their birthday suit?  Maybe even put up some bamboo plants for screening?

Paging IHO...

IrvineRealtor said:
Tyler Durden said:
I wonder if someone was in terrible shape, if their neighbors would pay for their shutters - just to not see them parade around their great room in their birthday suit?  Maybe even put up some bamboo plants for screening?

Paging IHO...
All I know is that no one who lives around me has shutters in their windows or has paid to put shutters in ours.

The IHO View Lot is a premium... or should I call it the California IHO View Lot?

sometimes i stretch nude in front of one of our master windows just to give some of the asian lady neighbors a peek at something they have never seen before

irvinehomeowner said:
qwerty said:
sometimes i stretch nude in front of one of our master windows just to give some of the asian lady neighbors a peek at something they have never seen before
C'mon... they've all seen gardeners before.

every time i think IHO has my back he just stabs me in it instead.

that was pretty good though.

qwerty said:

You must be excited when you have this thought.

Got my shutters from Golden West Shutters and just want give some updates for this thread.  If you read the previous few post involves qwerty, you will appreciate just how important a window covering is. :)

I only had Express Blinds and Golden West Shutters came out for a quote.  I don't know how ZeroLot  and others here have the energy to checkout several dozen vendors, I'm pretty much done with just one. 

With 3.5" louver, clear view (hidden tilt) Express Blinds quote me $16.77/ sq.ft. and Golden West Shutters quote me $22/sq.ft.  The Golden West's price also includes seamless frame option (cost 5% more) which Express Blinds don't offer.

I end up picking Golden West. The sales guy keep calling us back to follow up on us and keep inviting us to visit their shutter factory.  The Express blinds,  I didn't hear anything from them after the initial contact.  Golden West has this optional seamless frame I really like where the inner frame is in one piece instead of 4 section nail together and they caulk the seams in the outer frame and painted over to mask the seams.  Seamless frame cost 5% (little over $1/ sq.ft.) more but it give the shutter a more clean look.  Since I didn't have too many windows, the differences in prices between Express Blinds and Golden West is not that big, so I end up using Golden West.

Just had them installed few days ago and very please with the final product.  The design and quality are better than Hunter Douglas's I had in my previous home. The installer was fantastic, he even paint the joint/seam area of the outer frame so the seams are not visible.  Overall I'm very please with the shutter and the product is worth its price.

lnc said:
Got my shutters from Golden West Shutters and just want give some updates for this thread.  If you read the previous few post involves qwerty, you will appreciate just how important a window covering is. :)

I only had Express Blinds and Golden West Shutters came out for a quote.  I don't know how ZeroLot  and others here have the energy to checkout several dozen vendors, I'm pretty much done with just one. 

With 3.5" louver, clear view (hidden tilt) Express Blinds quote me $16.77/ sq.ft. and Golden West Shutters quote me $22/sq.ft.  The Golden West's price also includes seamless frame option (cost 5% more) which Express Blinds don't offer.

I end up picking Golden West. The sales guy keep calling us back to follow up on us and keep inviting us to visit their shutter factory.  The Express blinds,  I didn't hear anything from them after the initial contact.  Golden West has this optional seamless frame I really like where the inner frame is in one piece instead of 4 section nail together.  Seamless frame cost 5% (little over $1/ sq.ft.) more but it give the shutter a more clean look.  Since I didn't have too many windows, the differences in prices between Express Blinds and Golden West is not that big, so I end up using Golden West.

Just had them installed few days ago and very please with the final product.  The design and quality are better than Hunter Douglas's I had in my previous home. The installer was fantastic, he even paint the joint/seam area of the outer frame so the seams are not visible.  Overall I'm very please with the shutter and the product is worth its price.

Thanks. Do you mind posting pics of the seamless inner frame and the painted joints?

Back