Schools driving home buying...

CTNative

I always hear about buying in Irvine because of the quality of the schools. It seems a large factor for buying here.

I assume this is for just two reasons:

1) So my kids would go to good schools
2) So I have good resale value on my home

Question for #1
I was thinking...if I bought into some other city outside of Irvine where the schools are not as good, the money I would save in not paying an HOA, Association Fee(s), lower taxes and lower home price, (and not paying the "better schools" premium I would pay in Irvine) would put a substantial dent in paying for a private school tuition. In other words, my savings by living elsewhere would pay for a private school that was as good, or better, than a public school in Irvine?

It also seems widely accepted that public schools are not as good as private schools, and that most public schools are pretty bad or at least sub-standard (based on the state of education in the U.S. - Irvine public schools as an exception to that). But it seems like a lot of people are paying a lot of money to buy inside Irvine to have access to the "best" of the "worst."

Question for #2
Isn't this canceled out by the "all things being equal" concept? Houses in Irvine are more expensive partly because of the schools, so when I sell I am just passing that premium I paid for on to the new buyer, but if I buy somewhere with not so good schools I am enjoying a discount because of that fact, which I just then pass on as a discount to the new buyer.

I always enjoy threads on Irvine education and housing--here are a couple of threads related to some of your questions regarding private vs public schools and the Irvine cost premium:

Cost of Education & Housing:http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php?topic=1280.0

Anyone interested in Private Schools?http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php?topic=1178.0

Here is my take--
Given the serious budgetary woes of California, public education funding will significantly shrink and the quality of education will suffer for it in the medium term (next 5 years). Wait until Monday and see what Gov Brown will slash from the budget, I am sure education will take another hit. Yes the Irvine government and TIC may help plug the hole temporarily but I foresee more cuts for IUSD and TUSD ahead.

Does this mean we should all move out of Irvine and send our kids to private school?

No but it is something to consider. As IHO eloquently wrote in his thread (http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php?topic=1280.0), there are multiple reasons to send your kid to public school. Also there are multiple reasons to live in Irvine besides schools.

For me personally, I am seriously contemplating private schooling but still living in Irvine. Crazy I know.

Heh... I totally forgot I posted that private vs. public school thread.

And iac... don't feel bad... I live in Irvine yet pay for private school... hopefully that changes this fall.

irvinehomeowner said:
Heh... I totally forgot I posted that private vs. public school thread.

And iac... don't feel bad... I live in Irvine yet pay for private school... hopefully that changes this fall.

Can I ask why without being overly nosy?

Which one?

Still sending them to private school because it's where they started elementary and we wanted to keep them together

This fall will be the first time their schedules will match so we can send them to the same public school.

Back