Interested in Private Schools?

iacrenter

So after reading OC Mommy's comment--
OCMommy said:
See I am at home today and wasting way too much time on the Boards.

Many of the people I know living in Woodbury have their kids in private schools and the ones that have their kids in Public have them at Stonegate.

Another thought that I had about IUSD versus TUSD is that with the budget state crisis and Public school going downhill in general.  Does IUSD have more "other funding from other groups" and over time will that make a difference.  I have not researched this.  Again, this goes back to wanting to make the perfect decision and no decision is perfect!

Has anyone else seriously considered or researched private schooling in OC? Is it heresy to even say that you live in Irvine and choose NOT to go to an IUSD school?

Right now my daughter is in a Montessori pre-school and there is an option to continue that until 1st grade. She seems happy and learns well with the Montessori method, so this may be reasonable. I've also heard good things about Fairmont Private school as well.

I would welcome open discussion on this topic, pro's and con's for private schooling. I am also interested in specific comments of private schools they know about.

In my son's boy scout troop based in North Irvine, there are a few parents who put their kids to OCSHA (Orange County High School of the Arts).  Other than that, I really don't see many kids going to a private school from Irvine.

Let's face it, if you are going to send your kiss to a private school, then it makes perfect sense to live in Sanata Ana.  Why pay a premium for a house when you can't take advantagte of the location.

Irvine2Irvine said:
In my son's boy scout troop based in North Irvine, there are a few parents who put their kids to OCSHA (Orange County High School of the Arts).  Other than that, I really don't see many kids going to a private school from Irvine.

Let's face it, if you are going to send your kiss to a private school, then it makes perfect sense to live in Sanata Ana.  Why pay a premium for a house when you can't take advantagte of the location.

I've heard that argument from several of my friends as well. It kind of seems crazy to pay inflated Irvine home prices, taxes, and sometimes ridiculous Mello Roos fees only to send your child to private school. You could easily pick a cheaper location to buy or rent a home.

On the other hand, even if I didn't send my child to IUSD to TUSD, Irvine is still a great city to raise a family. Besides quality schools, there are beautiful master planned communities, multiple parks, centrally located in OC, many Asian stores, etc...

I heard that at Stonegate, it's 35 students in one class in 1st grade...
That's almost unacceptable.
My son went to Fairmont for preK and K and he liked it.  So he is still at Fairmont for now.  Finding out 35/1 ratio for student/teacher is not encouraging for me to consider public school at this point.

I can tell you pros/cons of private school for working parents...

Pros:

1. The instruction for K is usually longer than public schools. While most public school K programs are half day, in the case of Montessori... it's up to 2pm or 3pm.
2. The same people who are in the classroom are also the ones who are in the daycare portion of private school so you keep that familiarity and follow-through if they have homework (1st grade up).
3. Private schools are usually closed campuses with only one public access point. One of our concerns is making sure our child gets from school to the daycare area safely.
4. If you are sending your kid to public school and then daycare, the cost difference when you add in lunch/snack costs is probably only about $300-$400 a month (based on the last time I checked).
5. On-campus extra-curricular activities like gymnastics, ballet, music, language etc. You don't have to drive your kids to other places for these things (you just have to pay extra for them).

Cons:

1. I find the methods of assigning homework and in-class stuff is a bit dated compared to the technological advances IUSD/TUSD have and when you get to grades 1 or higher.
2. It's a mixed class (that is a Montessori method of teaching where the older kids are leaders and helpers to the younger ones who learn to do the same when they are older). While that may good for peer learning... it limits the friendships your child may have because they have less people who are their age in the school (whereas in public school you could have 2 to 4 classes of the same grade).
3. There seems to be a push for higher-level academia which may be due to the fact it's a paid school. That conflicts with my personal philosophy that elementary education shouldn't focus so much on academics but more on socialization and what kids want to do... they're kids.
4. Lack of parental interaction. <- That might just be me because the other parents are scared of me... but I really only talk to 1 or 2 parents occasionally but there doesn't seem to be a big group unless a) You all speak the same foreign language b) You already know each other. I haven't developed the deep life long friendships that PatStar talks about with the parents of my kid's friends.
5. Cost (it may only be $400 difference, but that adds up over the years... with multiple kids).

maverick said:
I heard that at Stonegate, it's 35 students in one class in 1st grade...
That's almost unacceptable.
My son went to Fairmont for preK and K and he liked it.  So he is still at Fairmont for now.  Finding out 35/1 ratio for student/teacher is not encouraging for me to consider public school at this point.

This is one of my big concerns going forward. Public schools depend heavily on tax revenue and a good portion of that can be variable. At least for the next several years, I can see both state and local governments cutting their education budgets. This will translate into more teacher layoffs, school closures, higher class sizes, and program cuts. That doesn't sound like such a great recipe for a great education.

irvinehomeowner said:
I can tell you pros/cons of private school for working parents...

Pros:

1. The instruction for K is usually longer than public schools. While most public school K programs are half day, in the case of Montessori... it's up to 2pm or 3pm.
2. The same people who are in the classroom are also the ones who are in the daycare portion of private school so you keep that familiarity and follow-through if they have homework (1st grade up).
3. Private schools are usually closed campuses with only one public access point. One of our concerns is making sure our child gets from school to the daycare area safely.
4. If you are sending your kid to public school and then daycare, the cost difference when you add in lunch/snack costs is probably only about $300-$400 a month (based on the last time I checked).
5. On-campus extra-curricular activities like gymnastics, ballet, music, language etc. You don't have to drive your kids to other places for these things (you just have to pay extra for them).

At least while they are young, having the daycare and school at the same location sounds ideal. No worries about transportation.

In terms of safety...I thought public schools also have only one main entrance and all guests must sign in? But I guess that can vary by campus.

Cons:

1. I find the methods of assigning homework and in-class stuff is a bit dated compared to the technological advances IUSD/TUSD have and when you get to grades 1 or higher.
2. It's a mixed class (that is a Montessori method of teaching where the older kids are leaders and helpers to the younger ones who learn to do the same when they are older). While that may good for peer learning... it limits the friendships your child may have because they have less people who are their age in the school (whereas in public school you could have 2 to 4 classes of the same grade).
3. There seems to be a push for higher-level academia which may be due to the fact it's a paid school. That conflicts with my personal philosophy that elementary education shouldn't focus so much on academics but more on socialization and what kids want to do... they're kids.
4. Lack of parental interaction. <- That might just be me because the other parents are scared of me... but I really only talk to 1 or 2 parents occasionally but there doesn't seem to be a big group unless a) You all speak the same foreign language b) You already know each other. I haven't developed the deep life long friendships that PatStar talks about with the parents of my kid's friends.
5. Cost (it may only be $400 difference, but that adds up over the years... with multiple kids).

I think the whole interaction thing between parents is very individual rather than a private vs public school thing.  Some folks just click or have some other common interest (ethnicity, sports, music, neighborhood, type of work etc...)--no biggie to me.

Cost certainly is a big issue long term. Paying all that extra tuition certainly eats into the family budget. But it is also difficult to measure the opportunity cost of not going to private school. Certainly if budget cuts start significantly impacting IUSD/TUSD academics, then the cost of private school may seem worth it.

iacrenter said:
In terms of safety...I thought public schools also have only one main entrance and all guests must sign in? But I guess that can vary by campus.
Parents of IUSD/TUSD schools can verify but I believe it's more open. Some campuses have a single entrance but many have wide open play areas that lead to all the classrooms with exterior doors.

Overall, we've had a good experience but the cost is tough... one kid cost more than my college education on a month by month basis (but college was much cheaper back then). Actually... I think I've posted this before... but it's very close to UC tuition now... it's like I've been sending my kids to college for the last 4 years.

Just wondering if there are other folks out there with experience with private schools?

I did some google searching in the area and recognized some of the names but not all. Anyone hear anything about these schools?

(I do realize there is the websitehttp://www.greatschools.org/but just wanted to get a feel for the thoughts of parents on TI)

Le Port Schoolshttp://www.leportschools.com/

Mariners Christian Schoolhttp://www.marinerschristianschool.org/

Crean Lutheran HShttp://www.clshs.org/

Red Hill Lutheran Schoolhttp://www.redhillschool.org/

Spirit Academyhttp://www.spiritacademy.org/index.html

From my son's experience in the Laguna Beach public schools  - first grade -  17 kids in his class.  His teacher is top notch - young and highly educated and motivated.  The classroom is fully decked out  in high tech, including full touch sensitive video screens instead of blackboards or whiteboards.  ....and parent involvement in fund raising and support has been very heavy.  Some say it is a "public private school."  I would agree with that.

One other con about private elementary schools. In most cases (beyond K) there is only 1 class and it you're not happy with the level of instruction, you really have no other options.

At least in public schools, there are maybe 2 to 4 classes at each grade level and if one teacher doesn't "get" your child, you can try another.

This is probably one of the main reasons I want to switch, I'm not totally happy with the teacher we are locked into. It's not to say they are bad... I just don't think their style of teaching goes well with my kid(s).

As for the concerns of funding for public schools, I do think that's one of the main advantages to IUSD. If there is a shortfall, it always seems either TIC or local companies will step up to assists. Back when the IUSD teachers were pushing the Measure A tax on us homeowners to save their jobs... the measure did not pass... but businesses donated hundreds of thousands of dollars to make up for it and so their jobs we're saved without additional cost for us (don't we already pay a lot?).

irvinehomeowner said:
As for the concerns of funding for public schools, I do think that's one of the main advantages to IUSD. If there is a shortfall, it always seems either TIC or local companies will step up to assists. Back when the IUSD teachers were pushing the Measure A tax on us homeowners to save their jobs... the measure did not pass... but businesses donated hundreds of thousands of dollars to make up for it and so their jobs we're saved without additional cost for us (don't we already pay a lot?).

Gov Brown is proposing significant cuts to the California State budget but excludes K-12 education for now. If the electorate does NOT pass his proposed proposition to extend the temporary tax hikes, he will then slash the K-12 budget as well. Seeing the results from the last election, I am very doubtful Californians want to vote on continuing a tax hike in this economy. That will leave a gaping hole in all public school districts going forward.

How will IUSD pay for this shortfall? Measure M may help some but it may not be enough. I hope IUSD has an emergency plan in place. The tidal wave of education budget cuts is on the horizon. TIC has some money but to ask private businesses to chip in during this recession may not be realistic. If Irvine home owners want to preserve their great school district, you may very well see your taxes go up.

Keep in mind that Brown's plan isn't set in stone - the legislative body needs to agree - so far they don't like it. Though it's a matter of time when CA will need to take it's poison and cut costs - hopefully not in education if IUSD is a main selling point for you or the local Universities.

I still believe that local businesses will make up shortfalls for IUSD. Despite the economy, as the Dow is illustrating, many business are still doing quite well... TIC alone has probably made gazillions on the New Home Collection (how much does the land really cost them) so Bren can probably pay for it all himself.

Some of you may not have been in Irvine when they were trying to pass Measure A and I saw for myself how much businesses value the IUSD when it didn't pass.

Has anyone considered sending their kids to private school through 3rd grade and then letting them test into a GATE or APAAS program for 4th and beyond?  I'd prefer not to send my kids to private school but I'm concerned with the high student to teacher ratios in lower grade elementary classrooms.  Regardless of where the school is located - Irvine, non-Irvine, I think it's all relative and in any scenario, the students are not getting the attention they need.  I think this improves if they are in a GATE or APAAS program which isn't offered until 4th grade. 

I was curious what the process was like and how difficult it would be for a student from a different school to be accepted in a GATE or APAAS program at their school of choice (assumed it's in the assigned neighborhood, etc).

Back