San Carlos Court at Portola Springs Coming Soon

There are no models to look at. They won't be built until July.

To get into Phase 1, buyers must put down a $5K deposit and sign a sales contract either next weekend or the following weekend. Escrow will close within 30 days of the signed papers. Homes won't be completed until October or November. They expect to open Phase 2 in a few weeks.

They offer basic white on white...white cabinets, white appliances, and white tile counter tops in the kitchen. They're not even including a microwave---that's an "upgrade".

So, in essence, you're buying sight unseen, based off floorplans that are not finalized. Not only that, but you're expected to pay the mortgage, HOAs, and taxes while your unit is being built? And pay your current mortgage or rent?

I was told by one of the sales counselors that they sold out Phase 1, but I question this. I received a call that I'm first priority for the lot I chose, but I was only told that I was expected to sign a purchase agreement within the next couple of weeks. Not until I started asking questions did I find out there was more to it.

This process, IMHO, is assbackwards.

How can you close escrow without house being built. Makes no sense.
Shouldn't there be a structure for the appraisal to happen before escrow.

OKkid said:
There are no models to look at. They won't be built until July.

To get into Phase 1, buyers must put down a $5K deposit and sign a sales contract either next weekend or the following weekend. Escrow will close within 30 days of the signed papers. Homes won't be completed until October or November. They expect to open Phase 2 in a few weeks.

They offer basic white on white...white cabinets, white appliances, and white tile counter tops in the kitchen. They're not even including a microwave---that's an "upgrade".

So, in essence, you're buying sight unseen, based off floorplans that are not finalized. Not only that, but you're expected to pay the mortgage, HOAs, and taxes while your unit is being built? And pay your current mortgage or rent?

I was told by one of the sales counselors that they sold out Phase 1, but I question this. I received a call that I'm first priority for the lot I chose, but I was only told that I was expected to sign a purchase agreement within the next couple of weeks. Not until I started asking questions did I find out there was more to it.

This process, IMHO, is assbackwards.

Sorry...I have to make a correction. Escrow will close when the property is ready (Oct/Nov time frame). The $5K is not 100% refundable. It will depend on the costs incurred while in escrow, and will also take into account the upgrades that were put in.

What's general consensus about buying sight-unseen? Would you put down $5,000 to buy based off floorplan?

I don't think I would ever buy sight unseen. Seeing how the home is laid out in person is a big part of the buying process.

I can't imaging purchasing a home, no matter how inexpensive, without first hand experience.

Well, since I bought in phase 1 and all I have seen is the model, I guess that means we bought sight-unseen?  Or I am mistaken and you are referring to not even model and just base on the floorplan drawings?

SCC does not have models. They will be ready in July. Phase 1 will be sold on May 8.

Perhaps you talk about San Carlos?

Back