Robots

Irvinecommuter said:
eyephone said:
There is calorie counter for food.

Maybe we need a break even analysis for potential college students.
College is x amount and it will take you blank years to pay it off. (I get it not everybody is good in math. Like I?m not good in art. But with the disclosure it will help people understand the total college cost.)

And how does that resolve the $1.65 trilllion in student debt already out there?  About half of which are in some sort of deferment, default, or forebearance.  Who is benefiting from this level of debt on the economy? 
https://studentloanhero.com/student-loan-debt-statistics/

An example: So if you can?t make a payment for your new car (Lambo)? Should TI members pay it for you? (Maybe you should of got a civic or something.)

eyephone said:
Allow bankruptcy to forgive student loan? (Slippery slope)

Nope, just no more student loans.  Which honestly wouldn't be bad.  Again, the bulk of the debt isn't education, it's actually living expenses while 'getting' an education.

The average student in the class has $37,162 in student debt.  Sorry, if you can't pay off the equivalent of a ____ing car loan after college in five year, the problem is you. https://www.forbes.com/sites/zackfriedman/2018/06/13/student-loan-debt-statistics-2018/#1ac6cfa17310

I don't care about the wannabe UCLA dentist that racked up $800K in debt having is live for five years on the westside while he went to school.    I don't really want to hear about the kid that just wants to help kids that racked up $250K going to an elite school.

School basically is free.  Community college is dirt cheap for the first two years.  CSUF is $8200 for tuition, fees, books and supplies.  Five years that's $40K.  Everything else is living expenses in OC.

eyephone said:
Irvinecommuter said:
eyephone said:

College is x amount and it will take you blank years to pay it off. (I get it not everybody is good in math. Like I?m not good in art. But with the disclosure it will help people understand the total college cost.)

And how does that resolve the $1.65 trilllion in student debt already out there?  About half of which are in some sort of deferment, default, or forebearance.  Who is benefiting from this level of debt on the economy? 

An example: So if you can?t make a payment for your new car (Lambo)? Should TI members pay it for you? (Maybe you should of got a civic or something.)

Can't have this conversation with you if you are comparing lambo payments to student loans.

BTW, car loans..dischargeable in bankruptcy.

nosuchreality said:
eyephone said:

Nope, just no more student loans.  Which honestly wouldn't be bad.  Again, the bulk of the debt isn't education, it's actually living expenses while 'getting' an education.

The average student in the class has $37,162 in student debt.  Sorry, if you can't pay off the equivalent of a ____ing car loan after college in five year, the problem is you. https://www.forbes.com/sites/zackfriedman/2018/06/13/student-loan-debt-statistics-2018/#1ac6cfa17310

78% of people live paycheck to paycheck.  57% of Americans don't have enough cash to cover a $500 unexpected expense. 

We can argue about how we got here but that doesn't solve the crisis we have in this country. 

Irvinecommuter said:
eyephone said:

Calorie counter is great but no sure that helps people that already obese and suffering from medical problems.

This will help because it will show the potential student it?s going to take x amount of years to pay off. Throw in the placement of job percentage.

Made up scenario. High school student: it?s gong to take me x amount of years to pay off and job placement % is not good. Then I will not go there.

eyephone said:
Irvinecommuter said:
eyephone said:

Calorie counter is great but no sure that helps people that already obese and suffering from medical problems.

This will help because it will show the potential student it?s going to take x amount of years to pay off. Throw in the placement of job percentage.

Made up scenario. High school student: it?s gong to take me ex amount of years to pay off and job placement % is not good. Then I will not go there.

Absolutely but should a poor financial decision made when you are 17 ruining you for the rest of your life?  We don't do that with any other type of debt. 

You are also assuming that HS student have the financial literacy and foresight to understand what they are signing up for.

What about people who are going to career colleges/for-profit institution that basically lie about their numbers?

Also...does not address the existing problem we have now.

Irvinecommuter said:
nosuchreality said:
eyephone said:

78% of people aren't college graduates.

Again, if you're 25 and you can't make a payment plan for your $37000 of student loans, the issue is you don't want to.

78% of people live paycheck to paycheck.  57% of Americans don't have enough cash to cover a $500 unexpected expense. 

We can argue about how we got here but that doesn't solve the crisis we have in this country. 

78% of people aren't college graduates.  $37172 at 5% interest is a $700/month for 5 years.  $394/month makes it ten years. 

You're fresh out of college, you've got a job, if you can't make a $400 payment, you're need to make different choices. 

Let's be honest, what percentage of those are going to have a new car payment shortly after graduating?

nosuchreality said:
Irvinecommuter said:
nosuchreality said:
eyephone said:

78% of people aren't college graduates.

Again, if you're 25 and you can't make a payment plan for your $37000 of student loans, the issue is you don't want to.

78% of people aren't college graduates.  $37172 at 5% interest is a $700/month for 5 years.  $394/month makes it ten years. 

You're fresh out of college, you've got a job, if you can't make a $400 payment, you're need to make different choices. 

Let's be honest, what percentage of those are going to have a new car payment shortly after graduating?

What happens in year 5 when you have a medical emergency or lose your job? 

And again...car loans dischargable with BK.  Student loans...not dischargeable.

And again 2.0:  What do you do with the people already saddled with significant debt now? 

And again 3.0:  What benefit is it to keep the crushing debt on people?  Does it improve the economy? 

30% of borrowers can't keep up after 6 years...is that a problem with people solely or the system.
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/29/30p...ers-cant-keep-up-with-debt-after-6-years.html

Also...student loans have adjustable rates.  I have been super lucky because low interest rates in the last 15 years but student loan rates have been around 8 to 10% historically...going as high as 12%.

How did we get from robots to student debt?
To be honest BtB and I talked about student debt crisis a while back in a different thread. What?s so different now?

#aheadofthecurve

eyephone said:
How did we get from robots to student debt?
To be honest BtB and I talked about student debt crisis a while back in a different thread. What?s so different now?

#aheadofthecurve

Nothing...we are talking about solutions.

nosuchreality said:

Yang is advocating for a system that empowers people to make different choices. He is not for Free college for All. only 32% of people goes to college. Of those only 59% graduate within 6 years. Yang feels UBI is superior to just steering everyone towards college. 44-46% of recent college graduates are under-employed doing jobs that does not require a college degree. only 6% US high school kids are picking vocational schools. Compared that to 59% in Germany we are overselling college to our kids and saddling them with historic levels of debt. Vocational jobs like plumbers / AC repair are very resistant to automation and pays well.

Yang also is not offering straight up student loan forgiveness. He offers 10/10 where forgiveness kicks in after paying 10% of your pay for 10 years.

Here is a short 10 min clip of Yang on Joe Rogan podcast on education. I think he offers the most reasonable path forward out of this mess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DMCsXq_mYw&t=1s

Mety said:
Irvinecommuter said:
Mety said:
eyephone said:
Full disclosure: I have an iRobot device at home (saves time)

See, that's the thing. Where do we draw the line? Why are we paying taxes on cars, homes, and those big stuff every year but not on computers, washers and even that iRobot thing you have? I'm sure it's because those property taxes are used for the community and the country services, but just the idea of paying taxes on a home that's paid off kind of sucks. But it is what it is.

that's not what we are talking about...we are talking up putting a tax on the producers of the robots or the product of those robots.  For example, you could put a tax on every mile that is made by a self-driving truck or a tax on every automatic kiosks installed.

So do self-driving trucks or the automatic kiosks pay the tax?
Or is it talking about the owner of those paying the tax?

Mety: Should there be an extra tax on Google home or Amazon Echo products? (Robot like features)

eyephone said:
Mety said:
Irvinecommuter said:
Mety said:
eyephone said:
Full disclosure: I have an iRobot device at home (saves time)

See, that's the thing. Where do we draw the line? Why are we paying taxes on cars, homes, and those big stuff every year but not on computers, washers and even that iRobot thing you have? I'm sure it's because those property taxes are used for the community and the country services, but just the idea of paying taxes on a home that's paid off kind of sucks. But it is what it is.

that's not what we are talking about...we are talking up putting a tax on the producers of the robots or the product of those robots.  For example, you could put a tax on every mile that is made by a self-driving truck or a tax on every automatic kiosks installed.

So do self-driving trucks or the automatic kiosks pay the tax?
Or is it talking about the owner of those paying the tax?

Mety: Should there be an extra tax on Google home or Amazon Echo products? (Robot like features)

I'm not an expert on ekonomy or finance, but I don't like the idea of having extra tax on anything.

If those robot products end up costing extra taxes, does that mean we get to tax deduct those products also?

I think the property taxes from TIC/GP homes with MR are doing just fine amount of favor to the city.

eyephone said:

I sort of jokingly said in AI thread that Redfin took over and replaced real agents, but it's kind of true in a way.
Back in the day, you had to find an agent and they would have to show you what's available in the market. So it was heavily dependent on them whereas now we all have access to see the full listings online. We have access to see more than sometimes necessary once we make an account with some of those real estate apps and not to mention they usually offer lots of refunds and a lot less listing fees as well. On top of that if the robots with more accurate knowledge such as how much actually that MR will cost on those Irvine homes will be available to serve us, it's only a matter of time they replace the job. I believe some of the real good professional ones will still remain and will be able to keep the customers for a long time, but the shift has already begun IMHO.

Back