road rage/aggresive driver incident, Pavillon park

ocbird

road incident, sorta road rage, definitely aggressive driver

just wanted to let people know to be aware

place of incident: intersection sand canyon and irvine blvd

car : early 2000 vintage metallic blue honda civic

driver: around age 20 or early 30s male, most  possibly white, with 2 male companions around same age

X    ]    O    ]  O
      ]    1    ]    2

O= right turn lanes 

anyways this happened to my husband .  cars waiting at red light , husbands car is at leftmost right turn lane O1 (there are 2 right turn lanes) , aggressive driver is at lane x . Aggressive driver is honking and trying to veer his car in front of my husbands car to turn right, when clearly lane x is a no turn lane just going straight. He continues to honk trying to force my husband to turn on a red, which is usually ok, when there are clearly no cars passing by, but due to my husbands timid driving and poor night vision, he wasn't going to give in.  the red light finally turns green and my husband turns and the car follows and passes my husbands car gesturing aggressively and honking and finally gives the middle finger, then this car turns into Pavillon park.  We don't know if they live in Pavillion park or the Portola community because my hub didn't want to stick around to find out.  But just wanted to post this because I was thinking pavilion park can easily become a gated community and perhaps we can block off access to other communities that use ridgevalley access to pavilion park.  I can easily these kind of incidents getting worse once beacon park opens .

Is it funny that the main thing I gleaned from this is that Pavilion Park will never turn into a gated community?

Your husband was in the right as far as you describe it... just look away.

maybe I'm missing something but this incident doesn't sound that bad?  Your husband was prob in the right but not sure how this incident translates into PP needing to be gated. What if he lives in PP?  How would the gates help?

Must be those Portola Springs miscreants piggybacking on 5P Ridge Valley throughput again. 

ocbird, if you want to petition to make PP a gated community count me in.  The HOA would triple but I bet the home values would go up 25% overnight if its guard gated.

I flicked off a Stonegate resident at the corner of spring meadow and sand canyon yesterday. I heard Stonegate started a petition for a gate this morning. 

I really love living at PP, just don't like the roadways to enter/ exit.  just saying that i think  once the 5P homes are all built out , driving situations  going to get worse, aggressive drivers and car accidents.  Exiting PP on irvine blvd is already very difficult with the oncoming traffic.  these incidents worry me since we have young kids in car, its the main reason we live here in Irvine, we assume were paying a premium to live in a safer community. perhaps more police patrol cars to curb rif raft drivers. 

ocbird said:
I really love living at PP, just don't like the roadways to enter/ exit.  just saying that i think  once the 5P homes are all built out , driving situations  going to get worse, aggressive drivers and car accidents.  Exiting PP on irvine blvd is already very difficult with the oncoming traffic.  these incidents worry me since we have young kids in car, its the main reason we live here in Irvine, we assume were paying a premium to live in a safer community. perhaps more police patrol cars to curb rif raft drivers. 

This I agree with. Getting onto irvine blvd is not ideal especially if you are trying to go to the far left lane so you can turn onto the 133 toll road. They are probably better off making that a stop sign versus this merge mess. I would def back that.

You're trying to mix and match 3 very different points here. Road rage & riff raft, gates at PP and hard exit at irvine/ridge valley. Not sure how these are all related and how doing one prevents the other 2 from happening.

BTW - Honking the horn is not road rage. (happens every day)

My expectations of of road rage are the following: tailgating, high speed chasing/racing, getting out of the car and having your window knocked on, car(s) crashing through gates, high beaming...

irvinehomeowner said:
Is it funny that the main thing I gleaned from this is that Pavilion Park will never turn into a gated community?

Curious on what it takes to make a gated community.  If majority of homeowners vote on it and fund it, what stops gates from existing?  Pavilion park seems ready for gates with only 3 ways in and out.  One can be manned while the other two can be unmanned.  Does the city have a say or are there other hurdles beyond homeowners voting and funding it?  I imagine if there are public parks or other public resources that it couldnt get gated but everything in pavilion park is park of the HOA.

Attachments

• gates.png
    gates.png
    228.9 KB · Views: 148
@rkp:

You are not going to get consensus on making it gated because of increased HOA costs. There are also a portion of homeowners who don't like gated communities.

Also the south portion of PP near the park (off of Fieldwood) is not enclosed so how would you deal with that?

Agree with IHO, when is having a gate keep people out. All they have to tell the lazy guards " I am going in to look and buy this million dollar house". The gate will open just as if they have the access transmitter in their car. And the premise of having a guard gate is safer, NOT exactly. But for sure the cost of HOA will rise dramatically. This will kill the votes. Its not like we are paying small amount for taxes and other things that contribute to the big cost of living in Irvine already...Having a gate is a hassle not a safety.

Since we're talking about something that's never gonna happen, PP residents who are "pro gate" should propose this:

Have the entrance gates at Ridge Valley/Irvine & Ridge Valley/Portola thus making Ridge Valley exclusively for PP and the senior home folks only.  Close off the entrance into Portola Springs off Ridge Valley - who cares about them right?  8)  Then have separate unmanned gates at the 3 entry points RKP pointed out.  Shady Canyon style!

rkp said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Curious on what it takes to make a gated community.  If majority of homeowners vote on it and fund it, what stops gates from existing?  Pavilion park seems ready for gates with only 3 ways in and out.  One can be manned while the other two can be unmanned.  Does the city have a say or are there other hurdles beyond homeowners voting and funding it?  I imagine if there are public parks or other public resources that it couldnt get gated but everything in pavilion park is park of the HOA.

This is funny. A person fills "threatened" because someone honks at them. Now they want the area to be gated.

rkp said:
irvinehomeowner said:

City for sure has a say. It's public/city streets currently, you can't just make it private by a vote of homeowners.

Although the few entrances to PP make it seem ideal for turning into gated community, it's a very tough hurdle, so tough that I'd pretty much rule it out. If you just want gates without a guard, you'd have several tens of thousands of dollars in infrastructure. Add in a guard, and you'd have to build at least 1 guard house/structure, depending on what the homeowners choose. More significantly, the entrance and exit where the guard house(s) exist would have to be rebuilt to have separate lanes. That'd easily push the cost up into the hundreds of thousands for infrastructure. A healthy HOA should have that much in reserve, but I can't imagine a board blowing their entire reserve on such an investment, especially since laws require a certain amount of money to be kept in reserve at all times.

Even if everything is in place (i.e. ignoring the significant costs above), a guard service would definitely increase homeowner dues, which by itself is a tough but probably the easiest hurdle to overcome.

I don't see it happening, because what seems easy isn't.

eyephone said:
rkp said:
irvinehomeowner said:

This is funny. A person fills "threatened" because someone honks at them. Now they want the area to be gated.

I agree whole thing is overblown.  Between this thread and other thread where someone thinks foothill ranch is getto because of 1 possible homeless guy, a casual reader will think we all live in fear and in a bubble!  My jump into the thread was about understanding local government and what it would take to make such a change happen.

We saw houses on port streets in newport beach and their entrances were designed with a guard house in mind but they never activated them.  The streets are public right now but one of the realtors there said that the community was in talks about activating those guard houses.

HOA special assessments can be made and members can decide how to spend their money.  That is the choice of the community and if some resident wanted to take that up and knock on every door, more power to them.  The real hurdle seems to be it being city property vs a private road.  Would city benefit from residents owning the road and taking over the maintenance of it or would they charge them the cost of that infrastructure as they paid for it.  I don't know but this is a good chance to think through it.  Quite a few people on this board are involved in city government so I genuinely am trying to learn. 

Back