Riverbend in Orange

Hey Evan, thanks for getting back to us on this six months later! I had forgotten about it, but am still a bit confused. OVC? Whatever.

The neighborhood here hasn't changed much in six months. Still quiet, still middle class, still clean and safe and rather boring. I like it. We're getting a new Sprouts Market (Whole Foods knockoff) this summer where the old Linens N' Things on Tustin Avenue used to be though. That should be nice.

I think I might post a video of Kodiak street. The google street view happens to be at the right time. They knew better to go there when the 40oz drinkers were still asleep. You guys are funny. You don't have a clue what OVC means to Kodiak street, or what OVC stands for. Hey... have you been to the <a href="http://www.yelp.com/biz/olive-pit-orange">Olive Pit</a>? Did you notice the rehab clinic right behind it? Good times. I grew up in Orange, and it seems I know a lot more of it's underground than some. Sprouts? LOL, ask me about the several shootings at the Mall of Orange, and the guy who claimed to be Jesus. At least you are renting... true Orange natives wouldn't buy there until the hood got cleaned up or the mello roos was eliminated. Gawd forbid if you knew the foreclosures of the "middle class" there. It looks like they are dropping to the lower class really fast. Things can change pretty fast, and it looks like they are changing really fast. I wouldn't want to live in neighborhood of people who... all of sudden became distressed, especially with more to come...

If I do a video... I will take no_vas with me for protection. He may be 5'3", but he is pretty bad a$$.

There's been a shooting at Village at Orange? Really? When? I've lived here since '97 and hadn't heard of that. Not sayin' it didn't happen, but would be interested to know when that occurred.

When I pull up 92865 on foreclosureradar, I don't get a whole lot. Most folks in my tract around Eisenhower Park have been here for a couple of decades though. That little pocket of county land west of the park is surprisingly stable as well.

Funny thing about the Olive Pit and that scuzzy strip mall; Did you know that the brother-in-law of the Olive Pit owner was acting as property manager of that strip mall for the past couple years? He had recently been renting out the vacant office space on the backside of the center to tenants. He'd tapped into the plumbing used by the Olive Pit and the dry cleaners and had installed showers and toilets in there, and had losers renting "rooms" there for cheap. He was taking all the money right off the top. There's a new owner of that strip mall and they hired a real property manager and she was horrified to see what was going on in the "vacant" offices. They got the Orange PD involved and booted everyone out and they are trying to lease the space out to real tenants again. But for awhile it was genuine flophouse that was totally out of code and illegal. And yet the Olive Pit just keeps right on going. That Chinese restaurant is pretty slimy too. And the space at the west end of the mall is owned by some shady characters who drive late model Audi's and BMW's and Porsches and are running a racket of some sort, according to Ho the barber there.

[quote author="MightyAlweg" date=1237651263]There's been a shooting at Village at Orange? Really? When? I've lived here since '97 and hadn't heard of that. Not sayin' it didn't happen, but would be interested to know when that occurred. </blockquote>

The victim's dad lives in my neighborhood.

<a href="http://articles.latimes.com/p/1997/aug/16/news/mn-22937">http://articles.latimes.com/p/1997/aug/16/news/mn-22937</a>

In fairness, this isn't like Fifth and Harbor in Santa Ana, but it's not the greatest neighborhood. One of my former customers lived in the port streets (behind the Olive Pit) and had a bucket-full-o-stories to tell about stuff getting swiped/general problems. My Orange neighborhood is nothing like this.

[quote author="graphrix" date=1237650647]

If I do a video... I will take no_vas with me for protection. He may be 5'3", but he is pretty bad a$$.</blockquote>

I'll drive, you shoot.

Thanks no_vaseline for the link. Interesting.

In all fairness, the shooting of the security gaurd at the mall happened 12 years ago. <strong>August, 1997.</strong> I moved here in June, 1997 and just didn't remember that I guess.

The Olive Pit is quite literally a pit. I've never been back there, I've just heard stories. I do use the dry cleaners in that strip mall though; the nicest Chinese-American family ever owns and operates it. Great service, and they are constantly pinning cash to my order that I leave in my trouser pockets.

This issue of north Orange strip malls is funny because I remember thinking a few years ago when that Riverbend development was going in "Hey, I hope they'll remodel the two strip malls on Lincoln because of this". The Riverbend project stalled and is perhaps one third full several years later, and those two strip malls still need to be brough out of the 1970's.

[quote author="graphrix" date=1237650647]I think I might post a video of Kodiak street. The google street view happens to be at the right time. They knew better to go there when the 40oz drinkers were still asleep. You guys are funny. You don't have a clue what OVC means to Kodiak street, or what OVC stands for. Hey... have you been to the <a href="http://www.yelp.com/biz/olive-pit-orange">Olive Pit</a>? Did you notice the rehab clinic right behind it? Good times. I grew up in Orange, and it seems I know a lot more of it's underground than some. Sprouts? LOL, ask me about the several shootings at the Mall of Orange, and the guy who claimed to be Jesus. At least you are renting... true Orange natives wouldn't buy there until the hood got cleaned up or the mello roos was eliminated. Gawd forbid if you knew the foreclosures of the "middle class" there. It looks like they are dropping to the lower class really fast. Things can change pretty fast, and it looks like they are changing really fast. I wouldn't want to live in neighborhood of people who... all of sudden became distressed, especially with more to come...

If I do a video... I will take no_vas with me for protection. He may be 5'3", but he is pretty bad a$$.</blockquote>I thought I posted what OVC stands for. Can you clarify for those of us less knowledgeable about this rough street of Orange? What does it mean to Kodiak Street? I'd love to see a video of what you see there. I went on a weeknight, early in the week. Perhaps Friday night is party night and everyone is out drinking their 40's and shooting at anyone yelling "oh vey say". By the way, does that mean the residents their hate OVC? Are they members of a rival gang?

What is a "true" Orange native? I was born at St. Joseph in Orange and lived there until age 18, except for 4 years I spent in Fullerton from age 5-8. I went to Portola middle school and Orange High. I wouldn't mind buying a house in Riverbend.

Did you hear about the guy that killed 2 people in an Irvine grocery store? Does that mean you shouldn't buy a home in Irvine or near that particular grocery store? I can't find any shootings at the Mall of Orange other than the security guard shooting in 1997.

I was hoping you could provide some statistical analysis of why you think this area is so bad. What IS the foreclosure rate for the area around Kodiak? What do you consider middle class. Your quotes around the term imply that you don't consider the area middle class. It's an arbitrary term, so perhaps we consider middle class two different things.

[quote author="Evan" date=1237712968]I thought I posted what OVC stands for. Can you clarify for those of us less knowledgeable about this rough street of Orange? What does it mean to Kodiak Street? I'd love to see a video of what you see there. I went on a weeknight, early in the week. Perhaps Friday night is party night and everyone is out drinking their 40's and shooting at anyone yelling "oh vey say". By the way, does that mean the residents their hate OVC? Are they members of a rival gang?</blockquote></blockquote>

OVC stands for Orange Vato Crew. They are a gang from the ElMo area on Pearl Ave, Center Ave, and Vine Ave, just east and west of Hewes, and just off of Chapman. They are the rival gang to Kodiak street, or K street.

<blockquote>What is a "true" Orange native? I was born at St. Joseph in Orange and lived there until age 18, except for 4 years I spent in Fullerton from age 5-8. I went to Portola middle school and Orange High. I wouldn't mind buying a house in Riverbend.</blockquote>

I was born at St. Joes too, so was my mom. She grew up on Broadway in Santa Ana, when you could leave the door unlocked. I wouldn't mind buying a house at Riverbend, or some of the areas around it too. But, I know the area, and I understand the economic situation, and I know from experience, that the area will get progressively worse as the economy gets worse. I watched it go from a nice area, to a eh... area in the 90s. The exact same area MightAlweg is living is a cool area, and an area where upper middle class lived, but the surrounding area went to sh*t in the 90s, and I know it will only get worse from here.

<blockquote>Did you hear about the guy that killed 2 people in an Irvine grocery store? Does that mean you shouldn't buy a home in Irvine or near that particular grocery store? I can't find any shootings at the Mall of Orange other than the security guard shooting in 1997.</blockquote>

I don't feel like searching for it, but there was a total nut job, that lived in his van (insert Chris Farley Saturday Night live skit here), who went nuts... and had to have the OPD swat team sent there to disarm his shotgun touting ways. There are plenty of other criminal activities going on there, and I suggest you check out the police blotter to see for yourself.

<blockquote>I was hoping you could provide some statistical analysis of why you think this area is so bad. What IS the foreclosure rate for the area around Kodiak? What do you consider middle class. Your quotes around the term imply that you don't consider the area middle class. It's an arbitrary term, so perhaps we consider middle class two different things.</blockquote>

Here is a screen shot of foreclosures in the area, you have to do a map shot, since it encumbers some of the nice areas of Anaheim (they are actually pretty "middle class", and you can ask Caycifish if that is true, because she has been to my uncle's house in that area), and it includes Kodiak street (which is part of Anaheim Hills 92807 zip code, not just 92865).

http://i43.tinypic.com/28gzfib.jpg

It isn't pretty... plus, you don't see the three (that I actually know of) foreclosures in Riverbend itself since the APN can't be tagged by ForeclosureRadar.

I don't mean to talk crap on the area, just to talk crap on it, I just know from experience, and the ridiculous HOA and mello roos, and the foreclosures that ForeclosureRadar doesn't pick up, that the area has further price declines to come. Personally, I wouldn't mind renting in that area at all, especially in one on the SFRs surrounding the park, but I would never buy in Riverbend in a declining market, and I would never buy in an area that will see the effects of the economic decline like this area will. I know, for a fact, that two years from now the Riverbend homes will sell for a lot, and I mean a lot less, than they sell for now. And, I would never ever, ever buy a Lennar home. <a href="http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123750513955689889.html">They will f*ck you just like they f*cked Calpers</a>.

Honestly, if Calpers was so eager to jump in to chase a return that's too bad for them. Maybe they should get go of the folks who approved buying into that land at the peak. That being said, I think I'll try a IHB when Lennar goes busto (I interviewed with those guys and couldn't stand how arrogant they were/are). haha

Btw, did Newhall Land Company go busto in 2008?

http://www.ocbj.com/print.asp?aid=269977902.6199741.1685242.5496658.22879603.357&aID2=129625

In 1974, they were the largest landowner in California by a mile. They had farming operations from Red Bluff to the Mexican border. It was 100% full equity. They bankrolled Magic Mountain. Somewhere in 1976 or so they started selling it all off, getting into the property development business.

In short, they made the Irvine Company look like a flea on the side of a semi trailer. Maybe Bern deserves more respect than I give him.

[quote author="no_vaseline" date=1237813088]In 1974, they were the largest landowner in California by a mile. They had farming operations from Red Bluff to the Mexican border. It was 100% full equity. They bankrolled Magic Mountain. Somewhere in 1976 or so they started selling it all off, getting into the property development business.

In short, they made the Irvine Company look like a flea on the side of a semi trailer. Maybe Bern deserves more respect than I give him.</blockquote>
Interesting...they wanted me to interview for a senior financial analyst position coming out of SC B-school in 2005 but I did not want to live up or there commute from Orange County.

What is a "true" Orange native? I was born at St. Joseph in Orange and lived there until age 18, except for 4 years I spent in Fullerton from age 5-8. I went to Portola middle school and Orange High. I wouldn't mind buying a house in Riverbend.

Did you hear about the guy that killed 2 people in an Irvine grocery store? Does that mean you shouldn't buy a home in Irvine or near that particular grocery store? I can't find any shootings at the Mall of Orange other than the security guard shooting in 1997.

I was hoping you could provide some statistical analysis of why you think this area is so bad. What IS the foreclosure rate for the area around Kodiak? What do you consider middle class. Your quotes around the term imply that you don't consider the area middle class. It's an arbitrary term, so perhaps we consider middle class two different things.</blockquote>

I agree with everything that is said here... Orange is a good place to live,, i also went to orange and portola,, what year did you graduate from orange??

Back