RIP Ted Kennedy

bkshopr_IHB

I am sadden Housewives of OC have gotten more attention than the passing of Ted Kennedy. Not a single post about him.

All I will say is that despite all of the controversy, I had much respect for the man. I think Bk is right, he deserves some consideration.

I have no respect for him. He killed a woman while driving drunk and never did time for his crime. He never had a real job and was a leach on society. He was a drunk. I think he was evil.

He was an *effective* Senator. However, his actions on July 18-19, 1969 --- and the fact he went to his own grave 40 years later without having ever truly taken responsibility for his actions removes the possibility of my using his name and respect in the same sentence.

<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chappaquiddick_incident">Chappaquiddick Incident</a>

The use of the term "evil" seems pretty harsh. I guess this is the reason why I hesitated to post this prior to Bk's comments. I find it hard to believe that this incident is the sum total of the man's life. I think I'm done.

RIP to the last of the Kennedy Children of the old century.

The guy spent his entire life in public service. 3rd longest serving Senator in US History.

Had 2 of his Brothers Assassinated.

Some of us cast judgement so easily here.

Yes he made a terrible mistake when he was 37. He drove off a small wooden bridge and a life was lost.

Maybe he should have been punished more at that time. The courts of that day did their job.

But to cast judgement on a man for his crimes from 40 Years ago is just tasteless and in bad form upon his death.

Let the dead rest in peace.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1251442776]I am sadden Housewives of OC have gotten more attention than the passing of Ted Kennedy. Not a single post about him.</blockquote>
Did one of the Housewives rape or kill someone? Don't ask me to mourn his passing.

[quote author="BurnedbyToll" date=1251468331][quote author="bkshopr" date=1251442776]I am sadden Housewives of OC have gotten more attention than the passing of Ted Kennedy. Not a single post about him.</blockquote>
Did one of the Housewives rape or kill someone? Don't ask me to mourn his passing.</blockquote>

I hope somebody s*its on your memory too, sweetheart. Seriously, grow up.

[quote author="bltserv" date=1251458745]RIP to the last of the Kennedy Children of the old century.

The guy spent his entire life in public service. 3rd longest serving Senator in US History.

Had 2 of his Brothers Assassinated.

Some of us cast judgement so easily here.

Yes he made a terrible mistake when he was 37. He drove off a small wooden bridge and a life was lost.

Maybe he should have been punished more at that time. The courts of that day did their job.

But to cast judgement on a man for his crimes from 40 Years ago is just tasteless and in bad form upon his death.

Let the dead rest in peace.</blockquote>

I take back my original post. Everyone formed their opinions of Teddy long ago, and his death isn't going to change anything.

I have struggled with what Ted Kennedy did back then because in my humble opinion he was not treated like a normal citizen he was treated like a Kennedy.

He Drove off of a bridge, swam to shore and left the scene of a crime all while he was "possibly drunk." Then did not call the police until after the body was discovered.

In this situation I do not think a normal Joe Six pack would have gotten a two month suspended sentence. I think if Kennedy would have driven off that bridge today he would be serving a life sentence. The person that killed Nick Adenhart was charged with murder, vehicular manslaughter, dui and fleeing the scene of a crime.

I do believe in redemption. I am hoping for the best for Micheal Vick and Plexico Buress we all make mistakes in life. Vick has done his time, more time then Kennedy received, and now should have an opportunity to redeem himself. Buress is going to do his time, again more time then Kennedy and when he gets out I hope he has an opportunity to redeem himself.

I think that if Kennedy would have been treated like Joe Six pack and did his time I would have more respect for him. The fact that he didn't do more time though isn't necessaryily his fault it is the systems fault. In my opinion much of Kenedy's book of work after that incident may have never happened if he were treated like you or I.

With all of that being said though since that tragic event Kennedy has served the public in a nobel fashion. He has spent his life doing what he thought was best for America and serving his country the best he could.

For that the man has my respect. He could have just walked away from the public eye after that day. He chose to stay and do what he thought was best for this country.

I think most people will fight to stay out of jail so I can't blame him for that.

Edited to add RIP Teddy.

<em>"Kennedy earned C grades at the private Milton Academy, but was admitted to Harvard as a "legacy" -- his father and older brothers had attended there, so the younger and dimmer Kennedy's admission was virtually assured. While attending, he was expelled twice, once for cheating on a test, and once for paying a classmate to cheat for him. While expelled, Kennedy enlisted in the Army, but mistakenly signed up for four years instead of two. His father, Joseph P. Kennedy, former U.S. Ambassador to England, pulled the necessary strings to have his enlistment shortened to two years, and to ensure that he served in Europe, not Korea, where a war was raging. Kennedy was assigned to Paris, never advanced beyond the rank of Private, and returned to Harvard upon being discharged.

While attending law school at the University of Virginia, he was cited for reckless driving four times, including once when he was clocked driving 90 miles per hour in a residential neighborhood with his headlights off after dark. Yet his Virginia driver's license was never revoked."

</em>

<em>"On 19 July 1969, Kennedy attended a party on Chappaquiddick Island in Massachusetts. At about 11:00 PM, he borrowed his chauffeur's keys to his Oldsmobile limousine, and offered to give a ride home to Mary Jo Kopechne, a campaign worker. Leaving the island via an unlit bridge with no guard rail, Kennedy steered the car off the bridge, flipped, and into Poucha Pond. He swam to shore and walked back to the party -- passing several houses and a fire station -- and two friends returned with him to the scene of the accident. According to their later testimony, they told him what he already knew, that he was required by law to immediately report the accident to the authorities. Instead Kennedy made his way to his hotel, called his lawyer, and went to sleep.

Kennedy called the police the next morning. By then the wreck had already been discovered. Before dying, Kopechne had scratched at the upholstered floor above her head in the upside-down car. The Kennedy family began pulling strings, ensuring that any inquiry would be contained. Her corpse was whisked out-of-state to her family, before an autopsy could be conducted. Further details are uncertain, but after the accident Kennedy says he repeatedly dove under the water trying to rescue Kopechne, and he didn't call police because he was in a state of shock. In versions not so kind, it is widely assumed Kennedy was drunk, that he was having an affair with Kopechne, and/or that he held off calling police in hopes that his family could fix the problem overnight."

</em>

<em>"In 1973, at the height of Nixon's Watergate scandal, Kennedy thundered from the Senate floor, "Do we operate under a system of equal justice under law? Or is there one system for the average citizen and another for the high and mighty?""</em>

<em>"He was rumored to have had several affairs while married to his first wife, and had often been seen in public while thoroughly tanked and/or behaving obnoxiously. In 1987 he was caught in flagrante delicto with an unidentified woman on the floor of a restaurant."</em>

[quote author="bltserv" date=1251497499]Capitalism.

I had a really nice flame job for you.

Glad you took your post down.</blockquote>

Lay it on me. I would LOVE to hear it.

[quote author="no_vaseline" date=1251470350][quote author="BurnedbyToll" date=1251468331][quote author="bkshopr" date=1251442776]I am sadden Housewives of OC have gotten more attention than the passing of Ted Kennedy. Not a single post about him.</blockquote>
Did one of the Housewives rape or kill someone? Don't ask me to mourn his passing.</blockquote>

I hope somebody s*its on your memory too, sweetheart. Seriously, grow up.</blockquote>

Why don't you grow up. I just said I didn't mourn his passing, I wasn't saying I spit on his grave. You give your sarcastic opinion often enough.

Making a Silk Purse Out of a Sow's Ear

By Max Rugemer | Wednesday, May 21st, 2008 at 12:22 pm

The Democrat Media is making a Silk Purse out of Teddy Kennedy.

Honorable & principled people feel concern for anyone stricken with a horrible disease like Kennedy?s brain cancer. Nevertheless, it is dangerous to allow the 90% Democrat Media to make a heroic fantasy of Teddy?s life.

Ted Kennedy was expelled from Harvard twice for dishonesty. Any normal American man with Kennedy?s record would?ve had a felony conviction for MANSLAUGHTER plus Obstruction of Justice in Mary Jo Kopechne?s killing. Teddy?s offer of support to Moscow, advice on opposition to President Reagan?s foreign policy, documented in a letter to the Head of the KGB should?ve resulted in a sedition charge at the least. Kennedy?s unbroken record of being WRONG on all immigration reform is remarkably bad governance. His abandonment of his first wife with her health problems certainly shows extreme selfishness. His willingness to politicize the 9/11/2001 War started by Muslim Terrorists through leading the charge of making Iraq different is unpatriotic in the extreme. His ?participation? in his nephew?s rape charge in Miami has always been disgusting. As an abortion loving divorced Catholic, he has been useful only as an example of how not to behave. Kennedy has really been a ?sow?s ear? who never would?ve survived for more than a term or 2 if he had been a Republican.

Yet, the pandering of the 90% Democrat Media has already begun turning this very flawed man into an American Hero. We can hope that Kennedy finally finds redemption for his selfish life while dealing with his illness. But, Kennedy?s career has been a disaster for America & must be recognized as such if the US is to survive the Democrat Party?s drive towards a Marxist America.

References:

NNDB: Ted Kennedy

Kennedy earned C grades at the private Milton Academy, but was admitted to Harvard as a ?legacy? ? his father and older brothers had attended there, so the younger and dimmer Kennedy?s admission was virtually assured. While attending, he was expelled twice, once for cheating on a test, and once for paying a classmate to cheat for him.

Chappaquiddick incident

The inquest into Kopechne?s death took place in Edgartown in January 1970. At the request of Kennedy?s lawyers, the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court ordered that it be conducted in secret?.

Under Massachusetts law Boyle could have ordered Kennedy?s arrest, but he chose not to do so. District Attorney Dinis chose not to pursue Kennedy for manslaughter, despite Judge Boyle?s conclusions?.

KGB Letter Outlines Sen. Kennedy?s Overtures to Soviets

?.a KGB letter written at the height of the Cold War ? shows that Sen. Edward Kennedy (D-Mass.) offered to assist Soviet leaders in formulating a public relations strategy to counter President Reagan?s foreign policy and to complicate his re-election efforts.

The letter, dated May 14, 1983, was sent from the head of the KGB to Yuri Andropov, who was then General Secretary of the Soviet Union?s Communist Party.

In his letter, KGB head Viktor Chebrikov offered Andropov his interpretation of Kennedy?s offer. Former U.S. Sen. John Tunney (D-Calif.) had traveled to Moscow on behalf of Kennedy to seek out a partnership with Andropov and other Soviet officials, Kengor claims in his book.

At one point after President Reagan left office, Tunney acknowledged that he had played the role of intermediary, not only for Kennedy but for other U.S. senators? Moreover, Tunney told the London Times that he had made 15 separate trips to Moscow.

Joan Bennett Kennedy

In July 1969, while pregnant with another child after two miscarriages, Joan stood beside her husband in court a few days after a car he was driving plunged off a bridge on Chappaquiddick Island, killing his young female passenger, Mary Jo Kopechne; she suffered a third miscarriage shortly thereafter?.

Although she made a public display of unity during Ted?s failed 1980 presidential campaign, the marriage was falling apart after a long, slow decline, allegedly because of his womanizing?. On December 6, 1982, the divorce was finalized.

Ted Kennedy on Abortion

Voted YES on expanding research to more embryonic stem cell lines?.

Voted NO on notifying parents of minors who get out-of-state abortions.

Voted NO on banning partial birth abortions.

Rated 100% by NARAL, indicating a pro-choice voting record.

[quote author="awgee" date=1251499312]<em>"Kennedy earned C grades at the private Milton Academy, but was admitted to Harvard as a "legacy" -- his father and older brothers had attended there, so the younger and dimmer Kennedy's admission was virtually assured. While attending, he was expelled twice, once for cheating on a test, and once for paying a classmate to cheat for him. While expelled, Kennedy enlisted in the Army, but mistakenly signed up for four years instead of two. His father, Joseph P. Kennedy, former U.S. Ambassador to England, pulled the necessary strings to have his enlistment shortened to two years, and to ensure that he served in Europe, not Korea, where a war was raging. Kennedy was assigned to Paris, never advanced beyond the rank of Private, and returned to Harvard upon being discharged.

While attending law school at the University of Virginia, he was cited for reckless driving four times, including once when he was clocked driving 90 miles per hour in a residential neighborhood with his headlights off after dark. Yet his Virginia driver's license was never revoked."

</em>

<em>"On 19 July 1969, Kennedy attended a party on Chappaquiddick Island in Massachusetts. At about 11:00 PM, he borrowed his chauffeur's keys to his Oldsmobile limousine, and offered to give a ride home to Mary Jo Kopechne, a campaign worker. Leaving the island via an unlit bridge with no guard rail, Kennedy steered the car off the bridge, flipped, and into Poucha Pond. He swam to shore and walked back to the party -- passing several houses and a fire station -- and two friends returned with him to the scene of the accident. According to their later testimony, they told him what he already knew, that he was required by law to immediately report the accident to the authorities. Instead Kennedy made his way to his hotel, called his lawyer, and went to sleep.

Kennedy called the police the next morning. By then the wreck had already been discovered. Before dying, Kopechne had scratched at the upholstered floor above her head in the upside-down car. The Kennedy family began pulling strings, ensuring that any inquiry would be contained. Her corpse was whisked out-of-state to her family, before an autopsy could be conducted. Further details are uncertain, but after the accident Kennedy says he repeatedly dove under the water trying to rescue Kopechne, and he didn't call police because he was in a state of shock. In versions not so kind, it is widely assumed Kennedy was drunk, that he was having an affair with Kopechne, and/or that he held off calling police in hopes that his family could fix the problem overnight."

</em>

<em>"In 1973, at the height of Nixon's Watergate scandal, Kennedy thundered from the Senate floor, "Do we operate under a system of equal justice under law? Or is there one system for the average citizen and another for the high and mighty?""</em>

<em>"He was rumored to have had several affairs while married to his first wife, and had often been seen in public while thoroughly tanked and/or behaving obnoxiously. In 1987 he was caught in flagrante delicto with an unidentified woman on the floor of a restaurant."</em></blockquote>

The point of the OP was to pay respects to a long serving United States Senator upon his death.

But some here have decided to take it upon themselves to be all high and mighty. And now pass judgement.

Last time I recall Saint Peter was still at the Pearly Gates of Heaven. Or did you guys buy him off too.

Its one thing to do this when a man is alive. And another to do it when he is in the ground.

But the lack of respect I see taking place here for the just departed reinforces my attitudes about the hate

of the conservative cause. Its like watching a drunk vomit. Then he wants to discuss politics all the while

he has puke running down his shirt. Its laughable.

Whats next ? Throwing a party if something happened to Obama ? Your on a slippery path of hate.

[quote author="bltserv" date=1251504103][quote author="awgee" date=1251499312]<em>"Kennedy earned C grades at the private Milton Academy, but was admitted to Harvard as a "legacy" -- his father and older brothers had attended there, so the younger and dimmer Kennedy's admission was virtually assured. While attending, he was expelled twice, once for cheating on a test, and once for paying a classmate to cheat for him. While expelled, Kennedy enlisted in the Army, but mistakenly signed up for four years instead of two. His father, Joseph P. Kennedy, former U.S. Ambassador to England, pulled the necessary strings to have his enlistment shortened to two years, and to ensure that he served in Europe, not Korea, where a war was raging. Kennedy was assigned to Paris, never advanced beyond the rank of Private, and returned to Harvard upon being discharged.

</em>

</em>

<em>"He was rumored to have had several affairs while married to his first wife, and had often been seen in public while thoroughly tanked and/or behaving obnoxiously. In 1987 he was caught in flagrante delicto with an unidentified woman on the floor of a restaurant."</em></blockquote>

The point of the OP was to pay respects to a long serving United States Senator upon his death.

But some here have decided to take it upon themselves to be all high and mighty. And now pass judgement.

Last time I recall Saint Peter was still at the Pearly Gates of Heaven. Or did you guys buy him off too.

Its one thing to do this when a man is alive. And another to do it when he is in the ground.

But the lack of respect I see taking place here for the just departed reinforces my attitudes about the hate

of the conservative cause. Its like watching a drunk vomit. Then he wants to discuss politics all the while

Whats next ? Throwing a party if something happened to Obama ? Your on a slippery path of hate.</blockquote>

Why show respects when he doesn't deserve them? That would be hypocritical.

Last i heard St Peter was taking a breather and checking redfin to see if he could afford to buy a house in Irvine.

[quote author="Stuff It" date=1251507858][quote author="bltserv" date=1251504103][quote author="awgee" date=1251499312]<em>"Kennedy earned C grades at the private Milton Academy, but was admitted to Harvard as a "legacy" -- his father and older brothers had attended there, so the younger and dimmer Kennedy's admission was virtually assured. While attending, he was expelled twice, once for cheating on a test, and once for paying a classmate to cheat for him. While expelled, Kennedy enlisted in the Army, but mistakenly signed up for four years instead of two. His father, Joseph P. Kennedy, former U.S. Ambassador to England, pulled the necessary strings to have his enlistment shortened to two years, and to ensure that he served in Europe, not Korea, where a war was raging. Kennedy was assigned to Paris, never advanced beyond the rank of Private, and returned to Harvard upon being discharged.

</em>

</em>

Whats next ? Throwing a party if something happened to Obama ? Your on a slippery path of hate.</blockquote>

Last i heard St Peter was taking a breather and checking redfin to see if he could afford to buy a house in Irvine.</blockquote>

He doesn't need to when he could just ask God at TIC.

[quote author="Stuff It" date=1251507858][quote author="bltserv" date=1251504103][quote author="awgee" date=1251499312]<em>"Kennedy earned C grades at the private Milton Academy, but was admitted to Harvard as a "legacy" -- his father and older brothers had attended there, so the younger and dimmer Kennedy's admission was virtually assured. While attending, he was expelled twice, once for cheating on a test, and once for paying a classmate to cheat for him. While expelled, Kennedy enlisted in the Army, but mistakenly signed up for four years instead of two. His father, Joseph P. Kennedy, former U.S. Ambassador to England, pulled the necessary strings to have his enlistment shortened to two years, and to ensure that he served in Europe, not Korea, where a war was raging. Kennedy was assigned to Paris, never advanced beyond the rank of Private, and returned to Harvard upon being discharged.

</em>

</em>

Last i heard St Peter was taking a breather and checking redfin to see if he could afford to buy a house in Irvine.</blockquote>

After doing some more research. Maybe he did do some good things in his life. In my opinion not enough to make up for the bad - but that is just my opinion, others differ. When a person dies he should be remembered for both and the good and bad.

[quote author="bltserv" date=1251504103][quote author="awgee" date=1251499312]<em>"Kennedy earned C grades at the private Milton Academy, but was admitted to Harvard as a "legacy" -- his father and older brothers had attended there, so the younger and dimmer Kennedy's admission was virtually assured. While attending, he was expelled twice, once for cheating on a test, and once for paying a classmate to cheat for him. While expelled, Kennedy enlisted in the Army, but mistakenly signed up for four years instead of two. His father, Joseph P. Kennedy, former U.S. Ambassador to England, pulled the necessary strings to have his enlistment shortened to two years, and to ensure that he served in Europe, not Korea, where a war was raging. Kennedy was assigned to Paris, never advanced beyond the rank of Private, and returned to Harvard upon being discharged.

</em>

</em>

President Obama is an honorable man. I disagree with his politics.

Ted Kennedy was filth and has no business being compared President Obama.

I give respect to those who deserve respect.

Back