Retail Openings and Closures

Irvinecommuter said:
TIC finally got someone to the fill the vacancy left by Golden Spoon at the Orchard Hill Shopping center via way of Ren Asian Bistro.  According to the TIC website, the place offers "quick-service Chinese cuisine."  It's set to open in the fall. 

That center is really nice and quiet but the configuration of stores is really strange.  The Pavilions, Peets and the Mexican restaurant are all really good.  The Italian place is terrible.  Zov's is way overpriced (but seems popular) and I liked the Japanese place when it served shabu shabu.  All the other stores there are overpriced...the Spa and Chico's seems a little bit out of place. 

There needs to be a few more casual restaurants there. 
What's the name of that Mexican place?  I'll have to give it a try since it's so close to me.

USCTrojanCPA said:
Irvinecommuter said:
TIC finally got someone to the fill the vacancy left by Golden Spoon at the Orchard Hill Shopping center via way of Ren Asian Bistro.  According to the TIC website, the place offers "quick-service Chinese cuisine."  It's set to open in the fall. 

That center is really nice and quiet but the configuration of stores is really strange.  The Pavilions, Peets and the Mexican restaurant are all really good.  The Italian place is terrible.  Zov's is way overpriced (but seems popular) and I liked the Japanese place when it served shabu shabu.  All the other stores there are overpriced...the Spa and Chico's seems a little bit out of place. 

What's the name of that Mexican place?  I'll have to give it a try since it's so close to me.

La Sirena Grill...it's organic/free range meats.  Not to expensive...$9-12 for entrees and you get a lot.  Good wait staff and nice sitting area. 
http://www.yelp.com/biz/la-sirena-grill-irvine-2

bones said:
I'm not sure there's any rhyme or reason to Irvine Company's placement of stores in their centers.  It almost seems like if you are able to pay the rents, they'll welcome you with open arms.  Look at Woodbury Town Center - there is a preschool in between Ralphs and Walgreens which makes ZERO sense.  Then they're opening some mediterranean restaurant near the bike shop and Ralphs which is away from all the other restaurants & outdoor dining space in the center.

I'm not sure how popular Zov's is.  Everytime I go - it's pretty quiet.  They do serve brunch on the weekends which is nice if you want a sit down type environment.  They probably got rent concessions from TIC since the promised mansions @ OH haven't been built yet.

TIC kicked out Pita Grill from Crossroads, caught a snippet of the article in the register....wonder why?

Irvinecommuter said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
Irvinecommuter said:

La Sirena Grill...it's organic/free range meats.  Not to expensive...$9-12 for entrees and you get a lot.  Good wait staff and nice sitting area. 
http://www.yelp.com/biz/la-sirena-grill-irvine-2

Thumbs up on Sirena as well...calamari burrito is really good, good salsa bar too, not nasty like Jalapenos

ps9 said:
TIC kicked out Pita Grill from Crossroads, caught a snippet of the article in the register....wonder why?
Didn't know they were kicked out.

It looks like it's being replaced by a Turkish/Mediterranean eatery (which to me would be similar to Pita Grill).

What's wrong Jalapenos? I actually like their crunchy tacos.

Anyone know what Irvine company is building in Quail Hill off of Laguna Canyon Rd (between Laguna Canyon Rd and 133, just across from Laguna Altura). Right now, there is nothing but a large paved parking lot. I'm hoping for Trader Joes and maybe a decent restaurant. The main disadvantage of living in Quail Hill is that the Quail Hill shopping center doesn't have much.

Costco said:
What's wrong Jalapenos?

their salsa bar set up is all screwed up. you can barely get your arms under there to pour the salsa into the little plastic cup.

irvinehomeowner said:
Irvinecommuter said:
Food is also too greasy for my taste. 
Well... it is Mexican food.

No such thing as "too greasy"... that's a plus for Mexican food.

I get that but maybe my Orange County delicate pallate has pulled me away from greasy foods of all variety.  Not a fan of things fried in lard or beans cooked in lard or extra fatty meats. 

qwerty said:
Costco said:
What's wrong Jalapenos?

their salsa bar set up is all screwed up. you can barely get your arms under there to pour the salsa into the little plastic cup.

This is the one off Alton and Culver, great tacos, al pastor is the best hands down in Irvine... But the salsa bar serving spoons are the worst ever.  Wooden spoons (hello bacteria colony?) that's too wide to pour cleanly into the little plastic cups... So drip onto fingers and back into the pot...  Rinse and repeat 30 times and you got 300 fingers in that bowl.. Yuck... 

I usually get a plastic fork or spoon right next to the salsa bar and use that to get my salsa, try to tell myself if I get the salsa from around the far edge it will minimized exposure to finger drippings.

Irvinecommuter said:

Is this the same Asian bistro that was in the Harvard Place shopping center?  Probably a more casual PF Changs?  Hope they have good noodles...

irvinehomeowner said:
The acidity of the salsa kills all the bacteria. :)

Or you'll have acid resistance selected bacteria... Survival of the fittest... It's actually the viruses I'm more worried about.... Lavese las manos!

irvinehomeowner said:
Starlight East said:
Pita: "We don't pay late fees"
TIC: "OK. Here is your eviction notice"
So I found this:
http://blogs.ocweekly.com/stickaforkinit/2013/06/pita_grill_owner_speaks_about.php

The owner said TIC told him that they are not a fit for the center, but replaced them with another kabobery... DonerG.

I love DonerG but I hated their location in Anaheim.  Hopefully their kebobs will be a better fit for the Irvine Company so I won't have to drive to Anaheim and get accosted by junkies.

So I can confirm Bruxie's will open in the old Fuji Kan location.

Was in the Heritage Plaza yesterday and the signs are up on the construction fences... gonna be bonkers when they open.

Back