Retail Openings and Closures

RandomG said:
Paris Baguette opened today at the Crossroads. I had been waiting for it for so long! And now I am so disappointed. Looks very pretty, shiny and new. But this fusion concept, French/Asian, just doesn't do it for me. It's too much Asian, too little French. It's just like Bon Epi, or 85 degrees. Someone tell these people croissants are not supposed to feel and taste like soft bread!
I have yet to find a real authentic French bakery around here. I come from Miami (but originally from Europe), so I'm spoiled with good French patisserie experiences. I may have to trek all the way out to LA for the real thing (although I have one last hope here in OC, La Petite Sourie, close to South Coast Plaza).

Try this place:https://www.yelp.com/biz/euro-caffe-irvine

More of a cafe than a bakery but they cook some good bread.

French's Bakery, Costa Mesa off Fairview and also Mission Viejo off of Alicia

My fave is Black market bakery in Costa Mesa.

My .02c

SGIP

Did not know that. One in Orange also. Much like my waistline after eating at French's, they too are expanding...

My .02c

Soylent Green Is People

Tried French's in Irvine. Quelle horreur! It's like getting cakes at Albertson's!!
I'm looking for more of a bakery/pastry place (tarts, cakes, Parisian macarons, French classics, confectionary), not so much a sandwich/omlette place.

Thanks for all the suggestions! When I do find what I'm looking for, I'll be sure to recommend it here. You haven't lived until you've tried true French patisserie!

Yeah, France is not an option!

Champagne Bakery is not too bad actually. It's just that it's hit or miss, and I've been to two. If you go towards the end of the day, it's usually stale.

RandomG-

At Mariner's on Saturdays, there is a farmer's market.  There is a stall there that is the bakery from the Roosevelt Hotel.  Excellent bread and croissants.  The guy is French.  This place is very popular, so you need to go on the early side to get the good stuff.  The farmer's market opens at 8 am.

I love that farmer's market. My only problem is I never get there early enough, but I'll get up early on Sat, for good croissant!
Also at that market, there was this German guy who sold the most amazing German bratwurst. Grilled in front of you, on fresh baguette, with mustard and grilled onion. Alas, he moved to Texas, I heard. I understand Toyota, but why the German sausage man?? I'm crying as I type. My kids, the world's pickiest eaters, loved that place.

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/06/0...irvine-co-revitalizes-several-retail-centers/

New eats, new clothes, new toys: A dozen new tenants slated to open in June as Irvine Co. revitalizes several retail centers
0 COMMENTS
By HANNAH MADANS | hmadans@scng.com | Orange County Register
PUBLISHED: June 5, 2017 at 6:52 am | UPDATED: June 5, 2017 at 8:49 am

Two Left Forks, a popular California cuisine restaurant, and Saje Natural Wellness are among a handful of new tenants making their way to Irvine Company retail properties in Orange County.

The Irvine Company, one of the county?s biggest landlords, owns several local retail centers, including Fashion Island and the Irvine Spectrum Center. The company is working on a multi-million dollar reinvestment of its 46 neighborhood community centers. Updates will include eco-upgrades, lighting, landscaping, signage and more.

Here?s a look at some of the new tenants:

Fashion Island

Saje Natural Wellness: The Canadian-based home and body health store opened recently.

ViX Paula Hermanny: The swimwear boutique opened in May.

Engine Ear Toys: The toy store moved to a new location in the mall, near American Rag Cie and LOFT.

SuitSupply: The Dutch men?s fashion brand will open in February.

Corona del Mar Plaza

JoFit: The athletic/leisure brand opened in May.

Vici: The women?s clothing store will open in July near Sprinkles Cupcakes, Lucy Activewear and Tommy Bahama?s Island Grille.

The Market Place

F21 Red: Forever 21 will open a roughly 16,000 square foot F21 RED store in September. The store touts itself as ?family-friendly shopping, where your whole family can find head-to-toe looks.?

Crystal Cove Shopping Center

Levik?s Jewelers by the Cove: The jewelry store will open in June near the northern end of the center.

March? Moderne: The French bistro will open this summer near Bluefin. It combines French recipes with American cuisine.

Irvine Spectrum Center

Reflection: The women?s shoes and accessories store will open this summer near Tilly?s, Lululemon and Urban Seoul 2.0.

Coffee Bean: The coffee shop reopened following a remodel.

Habana Cuban Restaurant: The eatery will open in August.

Los Olivos Marketplace

Coast Fish Company: The casual seafood restaurant opened at the end of April.

Quail Hill

Two Left Forks:  The restaurant will open in June. It is located next to Wells Fargo Bank, Bank of America Financial Center and ARCO. It also has a location in Dana Point.

Northpark Plaza

Chai Lan Restaurant: The restaurant, which offers in Korchi-style cuisine and Korean-inspired Chinese noodles will open in June. It is located near Albertsons, PostalAnnex+, Irvine Veterinary Services and Champagne French Bakery Caf?.

Crossroads

Paris Baguette: The bakery and cafe opened May 24 near Hallmark Shop, FedEx, Islands Restaurant and California Fish Grill.

Woodbury Town Center

Michaels: The arts and crafts store open opened June 4. It is located near LA Fitness.

Churned Creamery: The ice cream shop, known for the CroCream, a fresh croissant stuffed with ice cream, will open in June. It opened a location at Union Market Tustin in 2016.

Nekter Juice Bar: The Santa Ana-based company will open an additional location later this month.

Alton Square

Olives Branch Express: The Greek and Lebanese restaurant will open in June by Jack?s Surfboards and CitiBank.

PrettyInGray said:
Thanks for sharing this article. Overall, it's a plus that Irvine will have more variety of restaurants. I've been waiting for Habana Cuban restaurant to open! I do think we have enough Nekter Juice Bar around. Someone should open a non-nitrogen ice cream shop and I do hope that Churned Creamery in the Woodbury Town Center will offer a more traditional ice cream.

It really begs the question though.. how many times are you going to go back and pay $5 for a scoop of ice cream.  Rather just buy a tub at Ralphs for the same price.. eat it out side. 

PrettyInGray said:
jmoney74 said:
It really begs the question though.. how many times are you going to go back and pay $5 for a scoop of ice cream.  Rather just buy a tub at Ralphs for the same price.. eat it out side.

$5 will pay for a scoop and an experience of sitting outside in front of a well manicured lawn or water fountain.  ::)

Can't you just buy a tub of ice cream from Ralphs and enjoy it by the lawn?  You can just toss what you can't finish and probably still come out ahead.

I tried Creamery during the opening and thought the flavors were pretty spot on.  I just don't like the sweetness of their ice cream nor the softer texture.  Portions did seem a little small compared to the price.

$20 to $40 for omakase?  wow would like to see that.  Typical omakase is what $8-10 per course, usually ten courses or so.  So for Fatty Tuna that would mean each course is around $4.  Hmmm...

I noticed Coffee Byul at Diamond Jamboree is now a different place (like Kona Coffee?) and the other Korean coffee shop in Heritage Plaza (Walnut/Culver) closed.

Is Irvine not a good market for Korean coffee?

ps9 said:
$20 to $40 for omakase?  wow would like to see that.  Typical omakase is what $8-10 per course, usually ten courses or so.  So for Fatty Tuna that would mean each course is around $4.  Hmmm...

Web site is still in "pending" status, but I will go when they open.

www.fattytunasushi.com

Back