Retail Openings and Closures

aquabliss said:
Veggie grill has the best fake meat though.  Their chicken sandwiches and chicken salads taste pretty good for being fake.
Yep... for a long while my kids thought they were eating real chicken nuggets.

I still like their Santa Fe Crispy "Chicken" sandwich more than real chicken sandwiches.

The Habit opened up in Campus Plaza (near UCI).

The Habit is okay, not sure why they can open so many of them in the area... I like their tempura green beans.

Oh and if you're into comics, Alakazam closed at the UCI center earlier this month, but they actually moved over to Skypark Circle near the airport, off of Main.

I don't know where else to put this but thank goodness it's raining men on TI because I could use a man's help right now.

Let's take a survey. If any tall, skinny guys are here, please raise your hand. Where do you buy your jeans?

My boy, who just turned 13, is now 6 foot tall!, 125 lbs. (That is not a typo.) He only likes wearing jeans all of the time. He won't wear shorts. He has a 27" waist & a 32" inseam. Imagine what this does to the mom shopping for BTS clothes. I've been to: Levi's store @ Irvine Spectrum, Tilly's @ Irvine Spectrum, Macy's, Old Navy, Kohl's, Target, looked online, etc. MOST stores' very smallest waist is 28 (usually in a 30 length). However, 30 is the actually most common small waist size. 32 inseams are even harder to come by. When they do have 32's, the waist is usually larger EVEN ONLINE. Right now, we have a smorgasbord of jeans, one each from the above shops. The best bet so far has been "Levi's action jeans" from Kohl's. I got them in a 29x32. He wears them with a belt. It's a bit of a "lunch sack waist" but it's either that or have high-water pants -- LOL! I should mention we don't like the "skinny jeans" trend that is popular right now. He likes relaxed jeans or will do a slim cut if he has to but doesn't like them hugging his legs. Any tips are helpful.

Btw, I had some business to take care of in the Los Olivos shopping center yesterday. When I got directions to go there, I didn't even know what Los Olivos meant or where it was. I thought it was another city. Never heard of it. I guess I haven't been keeping up with TI much! Anyway, interesting. It must be the first time I've seen a regular strip mall with valet parking.  And that's not just for the restaurant like you would assume - that's for everything. Strange. Lol. The employee I talked to there said she's frustrated because all of the eating options are too expensive to just pop over on their daily lunch break.

SoCal said:
I don't know where else to put this but thank goodness it's raining men on TI because I could use a man's help right now.

Let's take a survey. If any tall, skinny guys are here, please raise your hand. Where do you buy your jeans?

My boy, who just turned 13, is now 6 foot tall!, 125 lbs. (That is not a typo.) He only likes wearing jeans all of the time. He won't wear shorts. He has a 27" waist & a 32" inseam. Imagine what this does to the mom shopping for BTS clothes. I've been to: Levi's store @ Irvine Spectrum, Tilly's @ Irvine Spectrum, Macy's, Old Navy, Kohl's, Target, looked online, etc. MOST stores' very smallest waist is 28 (usually in a 30 length). However, 30 is the actually most common small waist size. 32 inseams are even harder to come by. When they do have 32's, the waist is usually larger EVEN ONLINE. Right now, we have a smorgasbord of jeans, one each from the above shops. The best bet so far has been "Levi's action jeans" from Kohl's. I got them in a 29x32. He wears them with a belt. It's a bit of a "lunch sack waist" but it's either that or have high-water pants -- LOL! I should mention we don't like the "skinny jeans" trend that is popular right now. He likes relaxed jeans or will do a slim cut if he has to but doesn't like them hugging his legs. Any tips are helpful.

Well, I'm not tall but I do wears 29" jeans.

See if he like this Luck Brand 181 relaxed straight jeans. Its relax at the thigh and the denim feel really soft, very comfortable to wear.  It will shrink after washes so a 29" waist one might just shrink to the right size after washes.  And now is on sale, buy one and get one 50% off. 

http://www.luckybrand.com/181-relaxed-straight/7M12045.html?dwvar_7M12045_color=460&cgid=m-jeans-shop-by-fit-straight-fit&start=2

Thank you, Inc!! I'm going to try it. It says 100% cotton. Did the length shrink much? Or just the waist.

SoCal said:
Thank you, Inc!! I'm going to try it. It says 100% cotton. Did the length shrink much? Or just the waist.

I suppose the length will also shrink a little but the shrinkage in the waist is more noticeable after the wash. 

The Fashion Island has the Lucky Brand store and its pretty nicely stocked with all the sizes.  Might want to try it on there before order online. 

My brother used to wear 28" and the only place that would sell slacks that size were the surf/skate stores (Quiksilver, O'Neill, etc.). Not sure if they sell jeans that size but definitely worth checking out. He also had trouble finding pants at Kohl's, Macy's, etc.

Thanks. I took him to one boardshop - Focus near Etnies skatepark - but all they had were t-shirts, hats, shoes, hoodies. I'll have to try another one and see if they have more clothes.

Off the top of my head, banana republic (and so probably gap too), Levi, true religion, diesel, AG all sell 28" waist. Check Nordstrom online. You can also sew in an adjustable buttonhole elastic if the belt situation isn't working.

Wow, I just checked Diesel online. $200-$400 per pair?? Gah. It would suck if I bought enough pairs for a week and he outgrew them a few months later. That's happened. Sometimes I buy things that are a little bit pricey knowing he will outgrow them but my younger boy can them wear them so it's kind of worth it. However, they have different body types so unfortunately it'll be a one-time use only. The jeans they outgrow then get cut up for "Soul Hope" - a ministry to provide jobs and shoes to Africans. It's funny, last time I was tracing patterns on the jeans over the summer, we had some really expensive brands of jeans donated from people in south O.C. which probably should have gone to Salvation Army instead as a whole pair of jeans! We felt bad taking scissors to them but that's what the donors wanted.

SoCal said:

You can try www.endclothing.com.  It's based in the UK, so they have smaller sizes for men.  I've been happy with Nudie jeans lately, either the Thin Finn or Grim Tim cut.  Made in Italy and usually runs 200~300, a pair, but you can find them under 100.00 on sale on end clothing.

SoCal said:

Just ask your neighborhood gay guy where to get the slim waisted jeans.  Probably the best place by far for you would be the abercrombie kids store at South Coast Plaza.  They have small sizes that you can get on sale or clearance for under $20.  Unlike most youth offerings, these are simply smaller sizes of what the adult store has, so no one will know they are from a youth store.  They look mature and are good quality.  They come in a variety of fits, so you can pick which you like best.  This store is very constant, with styles that are almost never updated, so you can stop by any time and expect to find whatever it is that they offer.

Next best place is Armani Exchange.  Very stylish and high quality, and absolutely designed for the thin and fit.  They have new collections each month and the last month's collection is always available on clearance.  The sticker price can be high but they always have sales.  Last week, clearance was 40% off and the storewide sale was 60%, so that was a combined 76% discount off sticker.  This is definitely the best store for thin guys overall, just more expensive than abercrombie kids.  Over the annual cycle, you can find practically anything a thin guy needs: swimwear, winterwear, workout clothes, blazers, slacks, pima t-shirts, polos, dress shirts, and so on.  Since they have monthly collections, there is a lot of variety over the course of a year, so don't give up if you don't see something you like one month. 

You can try H&M, which is cheap, but the quality is lower.  Their fabrics are courser and start out looking more faded and worn.  Beyond that, go to the Citadel Outlets.  You can find all kinds of brands there that offer small sizes without the hassle you wrote about of driving from mall to mall to visit one store at a time, just to see full price merchandise that is often ugly or made for the obese.  Armani Exchange has an outlet there, so you can get an even bigger discount.  Try Banana Republic, any stores you see that you like the style of, and especially the stores that sell several brands, so you can flip through them fast.  Once you spot the brands you like, you can get on their mailing lists and visit their regular stores at the right time, if you don't like outlet shopping.

One problem with being in the suburbs is the corporate bean counters assume people there are more obese, so that's what they design and merchandise for.  You can try hipster areas like La Brea in Los Angeles, but it would be very hit and miss.  If you're up there, you can try Topman, but it leans toward skinny cuts, like many other British designs.  And if you want to be a tourist, go to LASC on Santa Monica Blvd in West Hollywood.

I know it can be very tough shopping as a thin and fit guy, but start with abercrombie kids and Armani Exchange.  And protein. Feed him protein.  Protein bars, Greek yogurt, milk, eggs, vitamin B12, and send him out on long, uphill hikes or something like that.  Then this won't be a problem anymore.

Back