Retail Openings and Closures

HMart said:
Next to UCI? I have no idea how students can afford a $20 lobster roll.

Why back in my day, we got coupons for $1.50 fat pizza slices..

Seriously. I still have to think twice before adding $1.95 guacamole on my chipotle bowl...

happytales said:
HMart said:
Next to UCI? I have no idea how students can afford a $20 lobster roll.

Why back in my day, we got coupons for $1.50 fat pizza slices..

Seriously. I still have to think twice before adding $1.95 guacamole on my chipotle bowl...
1% er...haha.  Seriously, it is a rare treat that I add the guac (if at all). Too rich for my blood. That or I'm just too damn cheap. 

On Wednesday, lobster roll was $21. Yikes! Wasn't very good and i was still hungry. Save yourself some money and go to California Fish Grill.

You'd think they would tough it out due to Orchard Hill's occupancy increasing every month.

I remember when Woodbury Ralphs opened the store was nearly dead but they stuck it out and now they're pretty crowded with all the apartments and new homes around.

gaogi said:
iacrenter said:
Orchard Hills will be getting a Haggen grocery store. They will be taking over Pavilions in May. According the the article, Haggens is a cross between Wholefoods and Safeway. I'm looking forward to the change.
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/stores-654004-vons-albertsons.html

I guess this didn't last long.  Haggens on Portola to close in the next 60 days.
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/haggen-677518-stores-time.html

I wonder what TIC will do to lure a supermarket back into OH.  Hard to sell OH as a "premier" village without a neighborhood grocery store.

OH is low density but WB Ralph get crowds from WB, WBE, SG, SGE, PP, PS.

aquabliss said:
You'd think they would tough it out due to Orchard Hill's occupancy increasing every month.

I remember when Woodbury Ralphs opened the store was nearly dead but they stuck it out and now they're pretty crowded with all the apartments and new homes around.

I was amazed Vons stayed their as long as it did. Without a grocery store, the center is even more depressing. You'd think the influx of homes would help but those original tenants got screwed by the recession and the long delay in opening up OH.  One less place for me to stop on my weekend walk with my daughter. 

Lure Whole Foods to come ?  The soon to be open Spectrum location and the District location is still somewhat far for this side of town (plus the traffic nightmare going in that District location).

The California Court Company said:
we can surely use Aldi

Aldi = cheap stuff  and doesn't match with OH "premier" village aura ?    Hasn't been to an Aldi store in the US though, but when I was in Germany, I probably bought 90%+ of my grocery/food from Aldi.

The Haggen sign on the Orchard Hills marquee still has the red circle with words "Now Open".  Wonder if they'll change it to "Now Closing".

WTTCHMN said:
gaogi said:
iacrenter said:
Orchard Hills will be getting a Haggen grocery store. They will be taking over Pavilions in May. According the the article, Haggens is a cross between Wholefoods and Safeway. I'm looking forward to the change.
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/stores-654004-vons-albertsons.html

I guess this didn't last long.  Haggens on Portola to close in the next 60 days.
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/haggen-677518-stores-time.html

I wonder what TIC will do to lure a supermarket back into OH.  Hard to sell OH as a "premier" village without a neighborhood grocery store.

Don't think they would have that much of a problem. Haggen kind of wimped out after they forced their way into the existing Pavilions. Any reasonable supermarket chain would see the potential of the area with all of the increasing population in the area. Also, it looks like TIC has been getting all chummy with Whole Foods with the recent addition near Los Olivos, so I wouldn't be surprised if TIC lured them in. The location does meet a good lot of the requirements (taken from the Whole Foods website) :

?Typically, 200,000 people or more in a 20-minute drive time
?25,000-50,000 Square Feet
?Large number of college-educated residents
?Abundant parking available for our exclusive use
?Stand alone preferred, would consider complementary
?Easy access from roadways, lighted intersection
?Excellent visibility, directly off of the street
?Must be located in a high traffic area (foot and/or vehicle)

Back