rental value of a 3/2.5 detached 1700 sq ft. condo portola

how much do you think a 3/2.5 detached 1700 sq ft. condo in portola springs would rent for?

• $2300 or less

Votes: 10 21.3%
  • $2400

Votes: 14 29.8%
  • $2500

Votes: 12 25.5%
  • $2600

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • $2700

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • $2800 or more

Votes: 7 14.9%

• Total voters
USCTrojanCPA said:
Company 401k costs because mutual funds suck.  The majority of mutual funds UNDERPERFORM the markets, especially when you account for the fees that they charge you.  I've transferred everything over into my SEP IRA and actively trade my retirement account.  The way that I look at it is...it's my money and it's in my best interest to try to maximize it.  That being said, I'm over about 40% YTD (including today's move down).  DISCLOSURE: I primarily trade options.
Yeah... but if your company contributes... you can't turn down that free money into your 401k.

irvinehomeowner said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
Company 401k costs because mutual funds suck.  The majority of mutual funds UNDERPERFORM the markets, especially when you account for the fees that they charge you.  I've transferred everything over into my SEP IRA and actively trade my retirement account.  The way that I look at it is...it's my money and it's in my best interest to try to maximize it.  That being said, I'm over about 40% YTD (including today's move down).  DISCLOSURE: I primarily trade options.
Yeah... but if your company contributes... you can't turn down that free money into your 401k.
Of course you can't turn down a company 401k match, but regardless most all 401k plans have horrible mutual fund investment options.  It'd be nice if companies would allow their employees to set up their own 401k/IRA account and be able to buy and sell whatever they wanted.  If you moved jobs, rollover your 401k into an IRA where you can buy whatever you want.

i transferred my wifes and my 401k to stable value funds on 7/22 when the dow was at about 12,650, the ceiling seemed to be 12,700, so i figured it was time to get out. so far so good. ill put it back in to regular funds when the dow gets into the 9,000s.

villagepeople said:
LAtoOC said:
200% gain since 2009 is not that hard if Indie was fortunate enough to buy in March-May 2009.

My Total Return since then is about 150% just on straight buy/hold.

the whole point is timing.. with the stock market.. there's no sure thing, that's why it's called risk... all i'm saying is indie can't tell me that i'm doing my calcs wrong cause i didn't use i higher rate of return... when i told him that i just put money in a bank account... he says that "it's easy to make these returns by buying dividend stocks"... then the market takes a dump and i just wanted to show that he was wrong trying to tell me i can put money in the market and expect my principle back when i need it... then he goes off on a tangent about how he made 200%... [which i'm saying is bs]... if you want to take his advice then go ahead.. i'm not here to get investment advice...

It's not a tangent. You tried to randomly call me out for by saying the specific stocks I posted about would make you a loser over a "5 month span", or what most investors would call an "ultra short term" hold. That's a big way to lose money in ANY investment (stocks, housing, etc). Basically you painted it like it was a smoking gun about how your original premise about parking your cash in a savings account was a better move than conservative blue chip, performing, stocks. But see, not every investor is a moron like you, and would never try to build wealth based on ultra short term holds. That's called gambling.

Over the past 20 years of tracking the S&P, if an investor held for at least ONE year, on AVERAGE, they would have gained 8.4%. If you hold longer, your losses and spikes start to smooth out. People who held in the S&P 500 over the past 20 years, on average, ONLY gained.

Let's examine my stocks I mentioned (randomly I might add) from my conservative portfolio. These were picks from my adviser, a professional who knows what he's doing, not some schmuck fund manager who is trying to build his Malibu dream house on fees. I'll even go back exactly 2 years from the original date I posted about them (even though they were purchased at better buy times):

ALRP-
February 11, 2009: 31.80
Today's Price: 71.34
Big winner. 124% Gain.

Altria-
February 11, 2009: 19.63
Today's Price: 25.70
31% Gain.

BMY-
February 11, 2009: 23.91
Today's Price: 27.85
16% Gain.

VZ-
February 11, 2009: 28.93
Today's Price: 35.07
21% Gain.

That's an average GAIN of 48% on just four RANDOM conservative picks, and in the wake of some pretty major downward movement recently. You want to compare Portola Springs gains over that same two year period? Get the heck out of here. You're a certified idiot. At least NonFCB was inherently a "genius", but you could have simply done a bit of research to try and hide the fact you don't know what the heck you're talking about.

irvinehomeowner said:
It's tough... but I guess that's why like Indie is saying, to use a professional.

At first, I wondered why Indie used one but his later explanation made more sense.

Exactly. Everyone thinks they're a mini-Warren Buffet until they lose 32% of their portfolio and wonder what the heck happened. Suddenly spending a few hundred dollars for some consultation doesn't seem so bad, but by then it's already too late.

villagepeople said:
you said you have a 200% gain... but the proof above is 48%... i guess you can't really do math... go back you school...

What are you talking about? Is that you NonFCB? You even type awkwardly and disjointedly like he tends to do too.

Did I say that I only had 4 stocks in my entire portfolio? Is that your new angle now on trying to prove that your "bank account investment" plan is better than the investment portfolio I've built with the help of a professional financial adviser?

You're trolling is weak, so very weak.

IndieDev said:
villagepeople said:
you said you have a 200% gain... but the proof above is 48%... i guess you can't really do math... go back you school...

What are you talking about? Is that you NonFCB? You even type awkwardly and disjointedly like he tends to do too.

Did I say that I only had 4 stocks in my entire portfolio? Is that your new angle now on trying to prove that your "bank account investment" plan is better than the professional portfolio I've built with the help of a professional financial adviser?

You're trolling is weak, so very weak.

damn.. that was typo... i started to call you and asshole but i decided not to... went and grabbed the link so you can sign up for classes and forgot to fix it... i guess i should have kept it like that.. i didn't know you sit around waiting for responses, i guess you have no life... sure i wasn't born here and my english isn't very good... but at least i don't go around the internet like i'm some sort of professor...

IndieDev said:
Did I say that I only had 4 stocks in my entire portfolio? Is that your new angle now on trying to prove that your "bank account investment" plan is better than the investment portfolio I've built with the help of a professional financial adviser?

i didn't say you only had 4 stocks.. you made it seem like it's so easy to beat the market... and i'm so dumb for not listening... shut the front door... from now on please don't reply to any of my questions or posts... if i wanted stupid commentary i'll turn on fox news.

Back