rental value of a 3/2.5 detached 1700 sq ft. condo portola

how much do you think a 3/2.5 detached 1700 sq ft. condo in portola springs would rent for?

• $2300 or less

Votes: 10 21.3%
  • $2400

Votes: 14 29.8%
  • $2500

Votes: 12 25.5%
  • $2600

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • $2700

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • $2800 or more

Votes: 7 14.9%

• Total voters
irvinehomeowner said:
IndieDev said:
I'm not sure how that can be construed as a personal attack on someone
[...]
That's personal, and I could understand someone reacting to that type of personal attack.
Did someone delete a post? I don't recall anyone saying you made a personal attack.
IndieDev said:
I don't wish to step on your delicate sensibilities any longer.
Hey... isn't that like saying "I didn't say I don't like your ugly face"?  ;)

Mike said I was bashing people who bought in Irvine. I didn't think I was making any comment on someone's personal choice of where they wanted to live, so I thought I'd clarify my stance.

... and I'm sure you have a wonderful face IHO.  ;)

It's okay IndieDev... I like differing opinions, I think mike got it a bit thick from BK so he is more wary of it.

Like jumpcut, I also think it's interesting that people who don't really have a preference for Irvine would be members here but as I like to be neutral (or SwissMiss) I see both sides of the coin (as long as it's not a 3CWG one).

Tone is hard to discern here and while I took your post a bit tongue in cheekish... I can see where someone who is interested in buying (like villagepeople) might be taken aback by your post.

Everyone has their reasons... and even if you would make more investing your money into stocks/bonds... there is also no guarantee... and you can't live in a stock or bond. Sometimes people would rather own than rent. We thought we could rent... but after trying it... we realized we would much rather own even if it cost more or was a smaller home... and since that is a personal preference, for someone to say that's not a financially sound one would be off-putting.

The funny thing is villagepeople actually thanked me for my post.  :-\

I'd never trash anyone if they wanted to live in Woodbury, PS, or anywhere else. A home is personal preference. People think living in the high desert for 100k is a great deal, great for them.

But from a business perspective, I know from my own gains from 2010, housing is much higher risk than many elements in my own portfolio because of the current external downward pressure on the market. If I had bought a resale home in Northpark or Turtleridge in 2008-2010, I would've gotten raked across the coals. That's verifiable through actual market data. No emotion involved.

IndieDev said:
The funny thing is villagepeople actually thanked me for my post.  :-\

i thanked you for the perspective you gave... although for me, my opportunity cost for this chunk of money has been in cds and savings for the past 4 years because i was ready and willing to jump in on any "deals" that may have come up... none came. 

i think you overstate the opportunity cost... first you didn't included your tax on the 20k you made... second, what's to say the stocks you pick doesn't take a dive... and yes, i invest in dividend paying stocks too... just not very good at it... i bought T in 06 cause i thought it was a derivative aapl play...  GE my alternative energy play in 2007... XOM just before the bp spill and INTC after the dividend raise a month ago... as you can see, i'm not a very good stock picker... and to me at the time i was buying "super safe stocks".

i also thanked mike cause he gave a different perspective...

now don't take this the wrong way, but your post was funny to me because while you are telling me about what the "value" of a house should be... you ended it with saying you'd put 20k down for a 68k used car... this is just me but i would never pay 68k for a vehicle whose purpose is to get me from point A to point B when i could use that 20k to buy a new car and it gets better gas mileage...  :p

I'm not a good "stock picker" either, that's why you should get with a good advisor. I think the reason why people get into such a big financial mess, and make foolish investment decisions is because they don't spend enough time planning or seeking good advice. Sometimes you don't know what's best for your money, especially if you're going to "invest" into real estate where you have a capitalization rate that is negative. Find someone who is good, has a proven track record, and someone you trust. Referrals are usually the best way to get all of the above.

As for the car, that's an opinion. I could tell you that you could buy a $5,000 beater that will get you from Point A to Point B and you could pocket $15,000 for other reasons. but obviously, $20,000 is your limit for a car, that's preference. There are people out there who don't have the luxury to buy a $20,000 car. I simply prefer Porsche at the moment because of the reasons I stated previously. I haven't bought it yet, but I'm thinking I may in the next month. It's a real beauty. You see, I'm not looking at a Porsche as an "investment", it's a consumable good. That's the difference between a rental property and a sports car.

See you want to spend your hard earned money on a house to live in, even if you will lose money because of it in the coming years because of market factors. I could say, "Hey, that's dumb, put the money somewhere where it will do work. Renting would be better for your family's overall financial health." But I didn't. I only commented on your "rental parity" question.

I think money is made to be spent on whatever you like. I also went to Paris last year for 2 weeks with the wife. We could've had a "staycation" like a lot of Irvine-ites tend to do because of their lack of disposable income after housing cost, and it would've cost a lot less. But like a lot of consumable goods, it's up to the person who is buying to determine the real personal value to themselves.

IndieDev said:
See you want to spend your hard earned money on a house to live in, even if you will lose money because of it in the coming years because of market factors. I could say, "Hey, that's dumb, put the money somewhere where it will do work. Renting would be better for your family's overall financial health." But I didn't. I only commented on your "rental parity" question.

not trying to pick a fight here... but just to clarify again... i'm not buying the house to rent... in fact i hope to keep it until my daughter goes to college... in 15 years!  i was asking the question because i don't want to grossly over pay and just trying to figure out where the house may eventually "bottom out"... maybe the better term would have been replacement cost... if i did not buy, i would have to rent somewhere... and if i rented that unit, what was the premium i was paying for to have my name on the title... :D

That's a more difficult question to answer because people as individuals have different values associated with the things they buy that cannot be put onto an accounting worksheet.

All I know for sure is, as an investment, it's a big loser.

As a home, it could be a big winner depending on the buyer's own values.

IndieDev said:
That's a more difficult question to answer because people as individuals have different values associated with the things they buy that cannot be put onto an accounting worksheet.

All I know for sure is, as an investment, it's a big loser.

As a home, it could be a big winner depending on the buyer's own values.

agree with you on the "individuals have different values associated with the things they buy that cannot be put onto an accounting worksheet."

as for it being a winner or loser... my parents bought in the sgv at the peak of the late 80's early 90's bubble... when it popped i knew kids who's parents walked away from homes in south pas, san marino and arcadia... my parents hung on... and now it's paid off... my friend's parents?  bought again 10-15 years later... right into the middle of this last bubble.

Anecdotal evidence can sometimes be great entertainment, but it's not great evidence for determining the value of an investment.

IndieDev said:
I'm not a good "stock picker" either, that's why you should get with a good advisor. I think the reason why people get into such a big financial mess, and make foolish investment decisions is because they don't spend enough time planning or seeking good advice. Sometimes you don't know what's best for your money, especially if you're going to "invest" into real estate where you have a capitalization rate that is negative. Find someone who is good, has a proven track record, and someone you trust. Referrals are usually the best way to get all of the above.

As for the car, that's an opinion. I could tell you that you could buy a $5,000 beater that will get you from Point A to Point B and you could pocket $15,000 for other reasons. but obviously, $20,000 is your limit for a car, that's preference. There are people out there who don't have the luxury to buy a $20,000 car. I simply prefer Porsche at the moment because of the reasons I stated previously. I haven't bought it yet, but I'm thinking I may in the next month. It's a real beauty. You see, I'm not looking at a Porsche as an "investment", it's a consumable good. That's the difference between a rental property and a sports car.

I think money is made to be spent on whatever you like. I also went to Paris last year for 2 weeks with the wife. We could've had a "staycation" like a lot of Irvine-ites tend to do because of their lack of disposable income after housing cost, and it would've cost a lot less. But like a lot of consumable goods, it's up to the person who is buying to determine the real personal value to themselves.
Couldn't agree more.  I was living the high life with the Irvine condo and a 996TT and going out every weekend living nearly paycheck-to-paycheck while making a very good loving in banking.  Then the crap hit the fan and it was time to tighten the belt...sell the condo, sell the 996TT, stop going out as much, etc.  Saving and investing my money watching it grow became very addictive.  At a certain point, it'll be time to loosen that tight belt and enjoy some of the hard earned money I've made.  I wanted the 997 GT3 as soon as it came out in 2007 but I'm not a big fan of being a brand new car due to the initial depreciation hit.  I'm also the type of person who will actually properly drive the GT3 and even take it out to a race every now and again.  Besides, I can get a used car loan in low 3% range which is almost like a free loan in my eyes.  You only live once, and you if don't spoil yourself every now and again who will? 

GT3 is a fine car. If you made the money, I say go for it. I saw one on Jamboree this week, it was white and red orange. Some might think that's a loud color scheme, but it works, especially with that big wing.

USCTrojanCPA said:
I'm also the type of person who will actually properly drive the GT3 and even take it out to a race every now and again.

Just so you know, you will need a roll cage to go "racing".  We wouldn't want you showing up in your firesuit and helmet all ready to go and get turned away.

test said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
I'm also the type of person who will actually properly drive the GT3 and even take it out to a race every now and again.

Just so you know, you will need a roll cage to go "racing".  We wouldn't want you showing up in your firesuit and helmet all ready to go and get turned away.

I didn't see a roll cage in yours, test:
porsche-carrera-lego.jpg

IndieDev said:
To put a more succinct point on it I had more than you are putting into a Sevilla condo into boring blue chip.  Altria (MO) paying 6.2% (horribly undervalued because people shy away from tobacco companies),  Alliance resource (ARLP) at 5%, Brystol Meyers (BMY) at 4.8% (gotta have a good drug company in the portfolio), and Verizon at 6%. I made over $20,000 just sitting my money into stable, boring companies. The chances of you turning a $20,000 profit per year from renting a Sevilla Plan 1 are about 0 to none.

I'm no day trader either, I'm simply someone who likes boring, stable investments like any fiscally conservative person.

i know this is a old thread, but if i were to have listened to you and put my down payment in the above "boring" stocks... and waited to buy a house, i would no longer have a large enough down payment for any house... just saying...

Reactions: rkp
villagepeople said:
IndieDev said:
To put a more succinct point on it I had more than you are putting into a Sevilla condo into boring blue chip.  Altria (MO) paying 6.2% (horribly undervalued because people shy away from tobacco companies),  Alliance resource (ARLP) at 5%, Brystol Meyers (BMY) at 4.8% (gotta have a good drug company in the portfolio), and Verizon at 6%. I made over $20,000 just sitting my money into stable, boring companies. The chances of you turning a $20,000 profit per year from renting a Sevilla Plan 1 are about 0 to none.

I'm no day trader either, I'm simply someone who likes boring, stable investments like any fiscally conservative person.

i know this is a old thread, but if i were to have listened to you and put my down payment in the above "boring" stocks... and waited to buy a house, i would no longer have a large enough down payment for any house... just saying...

But if you had held since 2009 (like I did), you'd still be up 200%+, even now, and might be able to buy cash instead of saving your pennies in the bank to buy an under performing asset.

IndieDev said:
But if you had held since 2009 (like I did), you'd still be up 200%+, even now, and might be able to buy cash instead of saving your pennies in the bank to buy an under performing asset.

are you saying you were in all cash by the end of 08... then put all your money back into the market in 09?

I'm saying, get a good financial adviser who knows what they're doing. Pay them their cut, and let them turn your money into more money, instead of chasing bad assets in a down market that have no hope of returning your money for years (possibly decades) to come.

btw, I still have the 528i, and skipped on the used CPO Carrera. I got a used  Audi A5 instead. It's faster than my 528i, but still has the style and luxury components that I desire in a car I drive daily (even more than BMW surprisingly).

Back