Remove the Lock feature

Speaking of test, he/she has been pretty MIA since noland came into the TI picture. Which begs the question?  Same person?  Maybe that explains why noland was so quick to pull the erase everything trigger.

happytales said:
aquabliss said:
What did I miss...? someone PM me and let me know....

1. thelandofnoland started a poll to ask why tustin topics are in irvine thread
2. thelandofnoland started a carmel valley thread in irvine thread
3. IHO asked why is carmel valley in irvine threads (apparently as a joke)
4. thelandofnoland didn't like it
5. thelandofnoland locked and deleted posts

Why would any reasonable person take offense to this, and then delete all their posts? I'm really confused.

HMart said:
happytales said:
aquabliss said:
What did I miss...? someone PM me and let me know....

1. thelandofnoland started a poll to ask why tustin topics are in irvine thread
2. thelandofnoland started a carmel valley thread in irvine thread
3. IHO asked why is carmel valley in irvine threads (apparently as a joke)
4. thelandofnoland didn't like it
5. thelandofnoland locked and deleted posts

Why would any reasonable person take offense to this, and then delete all their posts? I'm really confused.
There's a bit missing in there from what I recall. But that's ok

I'm pretty sure test and noland are different people... I just think noland had better access to information so test couldn't keep up.

But my PandaSurferDetector may be malfunctioning.

As for setting the story straight... happytales got most of it. The only bits missed (other than me not being the only one pointing out the misplaced thread):

1. He posted too much information, asked other members not to re-post, some did, he asked them via PM to remove their posts, they did not and he vented about it (disclaimer: I was not one of those members)
2. The majority vote on his poll was to keep non-Irvine threads out of the Irvine forum (disclaimer: A poll which he posted, not me or anyone else)
3. I guess he got offended and defended his action saying that Carmel Valley is comparable to Irvine so it should be posted there. (now... you guys tell me, is that really a good reason considering his poll?)
4. I responded to his excuse pointing out that I didn't care really where he put his threads but that just because Carmel Valley may be like Irvine, isn't really a valid reason to post it in the Irvine forum and if he is going to ask people to respect his request to remove posts, he should also respect the members opinions on his poll.
5. He said that based on his poll, he stopped posting Tustin threads on the Irvine forum (even though he posted a Carmel Valley thread in the Irvine forum), he wasn't going to move his threads, he's going to stop posting on TI public forms and any information would only be available via PMs.
6. By the time I was able to respond to that, he had already started moving/deleting/locking threads.

And that's when TI blew up.

I may not be recalling it exactly, but it's not like I was calling him names, accusing him of crimes, or threatening his spouse.

I will say that the injustice here is he deleted other members' posts. I  can understand deleting your own posts... but to nuke entire threads is just bleh.

irvinehomeowner said:
I'm pretty sure test and noland are different people... I just think noland had better access to information so test couldn't keep up.

But my PandaSurferDetector may be malfunctioning.

As for setting the story straight... happytales got most of it. The only bits missed (other than me not being the only one pointing out the misplaced thread):

1. He posted too much information, asked other members not to re-post, some did, he asked them via PM to remove their posts, they did not and he vented about it (disclaimer: I was not one of those members)
2. The majority vote on his poll was to keep non-Irvine threads out of the Irvine forum (disclaimer: A poll which he posted, not me or anyone else)
3. I guess he got offended and defended his action saying that Carmel Valley is comparable to Irvine so it should be posted there. (now... you guys tell me, is that really a good reason considering his poll?)
4. I responded to his excuse pointing out that I didn't care really where he put his threads but that just because Carmel Valley may be like Irvine, isn't really a valid reason to post it in the Irvine forum and if he is going to ask people to respect his request to remove posts, he should also respect the members opinions on his poll.
5. He said that based on his poll, he stopped posting Tustin threads on the Irvine forum (even though he posted a Carmel Valley thread in the Irvine forum), he wasn't going to move his threads, he's going to stop posting on TI public forms and any information would only be available via PMs.
6. By the time I was able to respond to that, he had already started moving/deleting/locking threads.

And that's when TI blew up.

I may not be recalling it exactly, but it's not like I was calling him names, accusing him of crimes, or threatening his spouse.

I will say that the injustice here is he deleted other members' posts. I  can understand deleting your own posts... but to nuke entire threads is just bleh.

I don't understand why he locked the thread. By doing that, previous posts of other people are gone. (It's like changing history)

So the admin took away the move/lock ability... still not sure how LONL was able to delete everyone else's posts but maybe he knows his way around SMF and has done this before.

Admin can restore to yesterday's backup but that means all the posts today will be lost.

I think it should be done because the posts deleted were way more than any new ones today. And if LONL really wants to delete stuff, he can go back and edit just HIS posts.

What do you all think?

irvinehomeowner said:
So the admin took away the move/lock ability... still not sure how LONL was able to delete everyone else's posts but maybe he knows his way around SMF and has done this before.

Admin can restore to yesterday's backup but that means all the posts today will be lost.

I think it should be done because the posts deleted were way more than any new ones today. And if LONL really wants to delete stuff, he can go back and edit just HIS posts.

What do you all think?

From TLONL: Don't do it.  The consequences for restoring the posts will make me take even more action and the situation will be worse than it already is. 

You can restore all you want but the greater loss here is the loss of any future information that noland woulda provided.

Harajuku said:
irvinehomeowner said:

What do you all think?

From TLONL: Don't do it.  The consequences for restoring the posts will make me take even more action and the situation will be worse than it already is.

All we want are the posts that other members posted. He can go back and edit his own stuff. Yes, he started the threads but to go and delete valuable information from other members too? That's taking it to the extreme.

I found the Answer to the lock thread issue.

Apparently, there is a "mod" on SMF to lock a thread for a person who is not an admin.

What's done is done, you can't flux capaxitor your hot tub and change the past, what if we get stuck like a groundhog.  Just let goose go and lock up the key master.

ps9 said:
What's done is done, you can't flux capaxitor your hot tub and change the past, what if we get stuck like a groundhog.  Just let goose go and lock up the key master.
+1

So perhaps it wasn't iho's fault? Sounds like maybe it was a work issue where he could get in trouble?

My guess is that this whole incident was an act of threat or revenge. TLONL had an issue with Admin. Admin couldn't care less about TLONL's contribution to the forum and allowed TLONL to remove his/her posts. Settling personal differences like this is a bit, hmmm, must be very satisfying to both parties involved. It is exactly how I settle differences with my wife.

Could they be married to each other?

Back