Recommendations for landscaping companies

irvinehomeowner said:
Congrats on getting your yard done GH Family!

If I may ask, was it a ZeroLot(tm) 5-figure cost?

not sure what is ZeroLot(tm) 5-figure cost, but given all the other estimate on TI for a much smaller yard, I think it is well worth it. :)

It means that minimum, you have to spend at least 5-figures.

I think back in the day, I spent $3000-4000 for my small yard (concrete, slate, seat wall, grass, and sprinklers/drainage).

MrsGH said:
We finally got our yard completed by The Echo Family (949-533-4055) and here are some pics.

I cannot say enough good things about our experience with Jo and his crew. The whole job took about 5 weeks to complete. His crew came bright and early everyday at 7am and would work till late, sometimes past 6pm. Jo came and checked the job from time to time to make sure everything is going according to plan. Once or twice we had to change our mind on something and he accommodated our requests. He helped and did all the HOA submission, before and after, and was very patient during the design process. I can't even count how many times we had to redo the drawings and plan and he was very patient all throughout. We picked Jo because he clearly knows what he's doing. He doesn't over promise, and if he can't do it he'll flat out tell you why he can't do it. He doesn't string you along, and doesn't just agree to everything you say.
We trusted him to pick every material out (didn't go to stone yards with him) and it came out perfect. Jo is not the cheapest out there, but he is also not the most expensive. I think what he charges is very reasonable, and fairly priced. He's also local, so any time we need him, he's always 1 call away from coming by to check on things. I couldn't be happier with our yard!

One thing I would add is Jo will not nickel and dime you on minor changes during the construction.  That is actually what I was most afraid of on big project like this because once you signed the contract, you are at their mercy price wise on any changes to the original design.  I think we actually got a lot of freebies (mostly labor) from his crew.  For example, for the storage shed, he just charged us the actual cost to buy in Home Depot (actual lower than retail because looks like he has a contractor discount from HD), didn't charge us for store pickup and installation (that thing weight 180 lbs un-assembled.  saved me $150++ delivery fee plus headache on how to install).  We also requested them to transplant current fruit tree in pot to the ground,  add a few stuff here and there and he didn't charge extra. 

Bottom line .. two thumbs up for Echo Family :)

I have to agree with GH, it was well worth it. It just means we won't be taking any vacations anywhere but our yard for the next couple of years.  ;D

Has anyone tried Symmetry Landscape?

I've been putting off doing the landscaping, but our HOA is starting to get twitchy on me (if only they spent as much time improving the community as they spend rejecting landscaping plans).

It's pretty hard to figure out which landscapers are good; seems like none of them have Yelp reviews!

We had Jo over for a bid and so far he was the most expensive of the lot. He does nice work but not double the price nice! Won't be calling him back. I wonder if he jacks price up for OH.

Paris said:
We had Jo over for a bid and so far he was the most expensive of the lot. He does nice work but not double the price nice! Won't be calling him back. I wonder if he jacks price up for OH.

Probably a situation where he doesn't need your job since they have plenty of work and gave a higher quote so if you but he would take it and delay his upcoming jobs.

qwerty said:
Paris said:

Probably a situation where he doesn't need your job since they have plenty of work and gave a higher quote so if you but he would take it and delay his upcoming jobs.

yeah.. probably too busy to get the best deal now.  Loved his work though and he was reliable. 

jmoney74 said:
qwerty said:
Paris said:

Paris

Could you please share ( a range is fine, <25K, 25 to 50k, >50K>?) the price one would have to budget for yard typical for Capella?  I am just trying to get a handle on a budget for typical Irvine Yard with features similar to the neighborhood (not too extravagant and not too basic either)

If you write something negative about Jo on TI, it's like saying beetlejuice X3.

0fd69dbc8fa2de48454d2f702d29dd87.jpg

Irvine Dream said:
jmoney74 said:
qwerty said:
Paris said:

Paris

Could you please share ( a range is fine, <25K, 25 to 50k, >50K>?) the price one would have to budget for yard typical for Capella?  I am just trying to get a handle on a budget for typical Irvine Yard with features similar to the neighborhood (not too extravagant and not too basic either)

I think 30-40k is fair for front/ back which is what we've been getting in quotes. Jo came in at >60k!!  :eek: don't need his services, no thanks

I think 30-40k is fair for front/ back which is what we've been getting in quotes. Jo came in at >60k!!  :eek: don't need his services, no thanks
[/quote]

Thanks

we used KS landscaping based on TI recommendation and we are happy with them.  we talked w/ Uncle Joe and his price is about 30% higher than KS landscaping

yaliu07 said:
we used KS landscaping based on TI recommendation and we are happy with them.  we talked w/ Uncle Joe and his price is about 30% higher than KS landscaping

I heard good things about KS too.

yaliu07 said:

Thanks, will have to get KS landscaping out for a quote. I have time to get all these quotes since HOA is taking their cool time getting our plans approved (hope they approve them because if not it's another 4 week delay after re-submission!)

Back