re-sales potential of properties with the #4 street address

financeguy_IHB

I know that there are a lot of Asian buyers in Irvine and 4 is considered an unlucky number. I was wondering if it significantly impacts demand. I mean, if I want to sell a property in Irvine that is located on #4 NAME street, should I expect to sell it for less than a comparable property? Has anyone seen any data on this?

[quote author="financeguy" date=1253088667]I know that there are a lot of Asian buyers in Irvine and 4 is considered an unlucky number. I was wondering if it significantly impacts demand. I mean, if I want to sell a property in Irvine that is located on #4 NAME street, should I expect to sell it for less than a comparable property? Has anyone seen any data on this?</blockquote>

How many 13th floor hotel rooms are there?

To my knowledge, there are no #4 addresses in all of West Irvine. I walk the hood (every door) 4 times per year to all 2000 homes.

I would guess that there are few, if any "4" tract homes in Irvine, built after 1990.

The "newest" one I know of is in the Arbor Crest tract of Northwood, built in 2000.

Owner has a Japanese surname.

-IR2

44 Arcada in Northpark. Sold at least 4 times in 8 years. Chinese will buy it if the price is very cheap. Cheap price is the best feng shui remedy for the seller.

Ivy is one example where bad feng shui did not stop the Asian buyers. When they are desperate for new they will buy anything. Your resale does not have the "new" advantage. Can you stage your home suggesting several families could fit and live in your home? Asians like living in the garage and especially the 3 car wide.

I have wondered the same thing. The last house I sold was: 6764. I <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numbers_in_Chinese_culture">believe </a>that 6 and possibly 7 are also unlucky. That could not be a wonderful address! However, the interest was mainly from Asian buyers. (Like Bk said, I think it was because of the value.)

Scalding F--king scalding death = 6764

Translation in Cantonese by the compound Peng xin = Scald the F---ker to death.

You must have sold it cheap or/and staged your home right.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1253091099]Scalding F--king scalding death = 6764

You must have sold it cheap or/and staged your home right.</blockquote>

Crap. Are you serious, Bk? Maybe you are pulling my leg.

Both. Staged and priced below the comps. I wasn't playing any games and just wanted out quickly. Interestingly, all the Asians who came did make offers. Their offers had the most solid financing or were all cash but also were also the lowest offers and most were very low-ball off our already low price. (This is not in Irvine, mind you.) I think what you said about the value is true. We accepted an all-cash offer from a Chinese buyer who was going to use it as a rental property but the day escrow opened, he got cold feet and withdrew. Then the house went to a (gwaillo) couple who offered the highest bottom line.

[quote author="SoCal78" date=1253102466][quote author="bkshopr" date=1253091099]Scalding F--king scalding death = 6764

You must have sold it cheap or/and staged your home right.</blockquote>

Crap. Are you serious, Bk? Maybe you are pulling my leg.

Both. Staged and priced below the comps. I wasn't playing any games and just wanted out quickly. Interestingly, all the Asians who came did make offers. Their offers had the most solid financing or were all cash but also were also the lowest offers and most were very low-ball off our already low price. (This is not in Irvine, mind you.) I think what you said about the value is true. We accepted an all-cash offer from a Chinese buyer who was going to use it as a rental property but the day escrow opened, he got cold feet and withdrew. Then the house went to a (gwaillo) couple who offered the highest bottom line.</blockquote>

BK's methods are uncanny.

Google-fu results:

New owner is a urologist.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1253089923]44 Arcada in Northpark. Sold at least 4 times in 8 years. </blockquote>

I guess it's not that big a deal after all. Just wanted to check.

Thanks.

[quote author="financeguy" date=1253109743][quote author="bkshopr" date=1253089923]44 Arcada in Northpark. Sold at least 4 times in 8 years. </blockquote>

I guess it's not that big a deal after all. Just wanted to check.

Thanks.</blockquote>

It is a big deal when a property is turned 4 times. No owners could find peace and must move. IR2, did you look up 44 Arcada? Is that the one you posted with the urologist?

My grandparent's home that they bought in the 40's or 50's was 4141 which sounds like die easy die easy. It's probably very unlikely there is or ever will be a 4141 address in Irvine ha ha. My wife is a big fan of lucky sounding numbers especially phone numbers. It doesn't have to be all 8s, but at least one or two 8s, and over the years we have had "good sounding" phone numbers ...:)

[quote author="fumbling" date=1253139169]My grandparent's home that they bought in the 40's or 50's was 4141 which sounds like die easy die easy. </blockquote>

Our address is 39, our next door neighbor is 41. Given the small lot sizes in Irvine, I wonder if any of that 4-1 doom and gloom can be transferred across the fence to our home?

As a side note, when the Orkin man comes and sprays outside their house, we notice an improvement in the ant situation at our house. So in a way, I guess death (of ants) is transferable across property lines.

[quote author="Geotpf" date=1253144119]I've always wondered-what happens if you have an address with both an 8 and a 4 in it. Do they cancel each other out?</blockquote>

4=death, 8=fortune

So maybe it means you'll die rich?

[quote author="traceimage" date=1253149601][quote author="Geotpf" date=1253144119]I've always wondered-what happens if you have an address with both an 8 and a 4 in it. Do they cancel each other out?</blockquote>

4=death, 8=fortune

So maybe it means you'll die rich?</blockquote>

4 and 7 sandwiched by other numbers become cussing words and should be avoided. In the case of just 2 digits 48 it does not cancel out each other but the slang becomes an exclamation similar to freaking rich. If another number appears before a "4" then use the rule below regardless how lucky a number is after the "4" in the case "648" the "64" takes precedent.

When used in reverse 84 the meaning is totally different. The slang is bloated (rot) to death. 64 rhymes with Scold to death. 24 rhymes with easy death. 14 rhymes with immediate death, 34 rhymes with youthful death?, 54 rhymes with no dying, 74 rhymes with freaking die, 94 rhymes with eternal death.

It is better to avoid a 4 period even in the case of 54. Chinese are pessimist and they see the glass is half empty. "No dying" is really gravely ill.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1253151705][quote author="traceimage" date=1253149601][quote author="Geotpf" date=1253144119]I've always wondered-what happens if you have an address with both an 8 and a 4 in it. Do they cancel each other out?</blockquote>

4=death, 8=fortune

4 and 7 sandwiched by other numbers become cussing words and should be avoided. In the case of just 2 digits 48 it does not cancel out each other but the slang becomes an exclamation similar to freaking rich. If another number appears before a "4" then use the rule below regardless how lucky a number is after the "4" in the case "648" the "64" takes precedent.

When used in reverse 84 the meaning is totally different. The slang is bloated (rot) to death. 64 rhymes with Scold to death. 24 rhymes with easy death. 14 rhymes with immediate death, 34 rhymes with youthful death?, 54 rhymes with no dying, 74 rhymes with freaking die, 94 rhymes with eternal death.

It is better to avoid a 4 period even in the case of 54. Chinese are pessimist and they see the glass is half empty. "No dying" is really gravely ill.</blockquote>

bkshopr,

Can you give us all non asian numerology people a little lesson? I am interested in what all the single digit numbers represent. We all know what 4 (death) and 8 (fortune) is but what about the other single digits.

1 =

2 =

3 =

4 = Death

5 =

6 =

7 =

8 = Fortune

9 =

So if a number is '14' then it is 'something' death right?

[quote author="davenlei" date=1253155714][quote author="bkshopr" date=1253151705][quote author="traceimage" date=1253149601][quote author="Geotpf" date=1253144119]I've always wondered-what happens if you have an address with both an 8 and a 4 in it. Do they cancel each other out?</blockquote>

4=death, 8=fortune

It is better to avoid a 4 period even in the case of 54. Chinese are pessimist and they see the glass is half empty. "No dying" is really gravely ill.</blockquote>

bkshopr,

Can you give us all non asian numerology people a little lesson? I am interested in what all the single digit numbers represent. We all know what 4 (death) and 8 (fortune) is but what about the other single digits.

1 =

2 =

3 =

4 = Death

5 =

6 =

7 =

8 = Fortune

9 =

So if a number is '14' then it is 'something' death right?</blockquote>

Socal posted this <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numbers_in_Chinese_culture">Chinese numerology meanings</a>

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1253159838][quote author="davenlei" date=1253155714][quote author="bkshopr" date=1253151705][quote author="traceimage" date=1253149601][quote author="Geotpf" date=1253144119]I've always wondered-what happens if you have an address with both an 8 and a 4 in it. Do they cancel each other out?</blockquote>

4=death, 8=fortune

bkshopr,

1 =

2 =

3 =

4 = Death

5 =

6 =

7 =

8 = Fortune

9 =

So if a number is '14' then it is 'something' death right?</blockquote>

Socal posted this <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numbers_in_Chinese_culture">Chinese numerology meanings</a></blockquote>

I see that 5, 6 and 7 are considered both lucky and unlucky. Can't win or lose with those then.

eeek. 14 is considered one of the unluckiest combinations apparently. The street number of the house I am looking at is 14. Yikes. Well, I don't make decisions based on numbers in that sense but I guess I should expect a sell price hit when I sell in the distant future if I get that house.

Back