Random thoughts...

Restaurant? Never have, never would. Cafe? Many times, reluctantly. I did have a margarita emergency once and grabbed a table at TGI Friday's with my baby. He wasn't much company but I don't know if that counts as being "alone". It's the only time I've gone to a restaurant without someone else who could communicate. I think dining out solo is terribly awkward and lonely. I have a friend who has no friends living nearby and she goes to CONCERTS by herself! Now, that's really crazy. I don't even think that's safe, if you ask me.

This is not high school where you are sitting alone at a cafeteria bench and table and being called a loner. 

I think the people who are too afraid to dine out alone are the ones who lack self confidence and care too much about what others think of them. 

I think it's depressing seeing other people having fun together and being by yourself. It's hard to have fun by yourself eating out. I mean, what are you going to do - stare at the wall? Might as well just pick up something quick and eat in the car. If it's shopping or a movie, that's one thing. But a restaurant?? Why.

Does anyone watch "Breaking Amish: Brave New World"? Mary, the Old Order Amish lady went to a bar by her lonesome this week. Banjo Bob wouldn't leave her alone. Yes, the dirty old man hit on an old Amish lady. That is another thing that sometimes happens to people if you are unaccompanied. Let's say you're a weirdo magnet or in a questionable area -- it's better to have someone with you. Last time I went to a little diner in Santa Ana for lunch by myself, I exchanged glances with another lady who was also alone. She asked if she could sit at my table with me. Of course! I was glad she said that because I was thinking the same thing.

SoCal said:
I think it's depressing seeing other people having fun together and being by yourself. It's hard to have fun by yourself eating out. I mean, what are you going to do - stare at the wall?
That's what smartphones are for. You can talk to Siri or set a new record in Bejeweled Blitz.

i go to  movies by myself, eat by myself. my wife wont eat by herself though. like homer said, not sure why people are concerned about what others think.

I think guys are just less social creatures. As long as you have your phone / laptop / Siri to keep you company, you're good... forever. I need human interaction to be happy. Of course, maybe this internet junk IS your human interaction. o_O

Where do you guys draw the line? Amusement parks by yourself? Vacation by yourself!?!

Wow, this thread reminds me how much it sucks to be single. Life is so much better when you have someone to share it with and don't have to go to restaurants by yourself. I don't think there are any single folks on TI but if there are -- I'm sorry. I remember vividly and don't miss it one bit!

SoCal said:
Wow, this thread reminds me how much it sucks to be single. Life is so much better when you have someone to share it with and don't have to go to restaurants by yourself. I don't think there are any single folks on TI but if there are -- I'm sorry. I remember vividly and don't miss it one bit!

Just because you are married or dating someone doesn't mean you can't go out to a restaurant by yourself.  It's alone time, gives you a few minutes to think to yourself and enjoy your surroundings without interruption. 

Gosh, do people really lack that much self confidence and are so worried about what others say about them? lol.. 

H        O        M        E        R said:
SoCal said:

Just because you are married or dating someone doesn't mean you can't go out to a restaurant by yourself.  It's alone time, gives you a few minutes to think to yourself and enjoy your surroundings without interruption. 

Gosh, do people really lack that much self confidence and are so worried about what others say about them? lol..
+1.  Time apart is just as important as time together.  I don't travel that much for business but if I was in a city with a restaurant I really wanted to try, I would eat by myself no problem.

I also have no problem watching a movie by myself.

H        O        M        E        R said:
SoCal said:

o_O Are you asking me? Silly, Homer. I guess so since I'm being quoted. Not really sure what hypothetical "people" are being referred to, "gosh". I can't speak for these mythical "others" who lack self confidence(?) but for me, personally I don't care what others think unless they intend to annoy me while I'm alone. I thought I already answered that the last time it was mentioned. It's about my enjoyment level when going out. I'm more of a people-person especially when that "people" is my partner in crime of 15 years.  :) Some people like to spend time away from their spouse but I can't relate to that... we both miss each other. We are a very close, affectionate family. Our boy says it makes him "want to barf".  :D

I like eating by myself in casual restaurants, like where you order at a counter or something. I eat, read, people-watch, etc. I like being alone, so it works for me. But I won't do it at a place where I have to order with a server that comes to my table, though. Too awkward.

Back